US Soldier Admits To Killing Unarmed Afghans For Sport

Discussion in 'Warfare / Military' started by Telekat, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Telekat

Telekat Member Past Donor

2. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

`
    Where there's smoke, there's fire.

3. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Morlock has told investigators that the murders took place between January and May last year and were instigated by an officer in his unit, Staff Sergeant Calvin Gibbs. He described how elaborate plans were made to pick out civilian targets, kill them and then make their deaths look like they were insurgents. In his confession Morlock described shooting a victim as Gibbs tossed a grenade at him. "We identify a guy. Gibbs makes a comment, like, you know, you guys wanna wax this guy or not," Morlock said in the confession.

Morlock now stands to be sentenced to at least 24 years in jail but with eligibility for parole after seven years. That has come about because Morlock struck a plea bargain that will see a lighter sentence in return for testifying against his fellow soldiers.

War takes its toll on everyone........

4. Colonel K

Colonel K Well-Known Member

Was he a sniper?

5. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

6. CKW

CKW Well-Known Member

I would say that we live in a system of law and order where our own is held accountable when murdering innocents. Our soldiers---American and UK fought an enemy that burned schools girls alive in their schools and burn people alive in cages, chop off heads of men, women and children in order to stay accountable to their superiors. The enemy our soldiers face will kill a muslim who converts to Christianity. It occurs to me----people who disdain our "sniper" never have outrage for that sort of thing. I certainly don't see any passionate threads or posts against it.

People who show such disdain for the US military in general, simply show the weakness that the real enemy takes advantage of. Ignorance is not knowing what evil is really out there and not appreciating the lifestyle you get to enjoy. Maybe some people ought to put their money and passion where their mouth is and live in a society they feel more alignment with.

7. Telekat

Telekat Member Past Donor

Does it really matter?

8. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

You don't hear much about sky pilots in the U.S. military now days. Have they become politically incorrect ?

9. BEG

BEG New Member

an occupator is there to commit war crimes, to brake the civilians populations, to make them slaves.

some are punished who get public, to cover the other crimes, which are common and normal for a occupation force...

Just ISIS is so stupid to show their war crimes.

10. Mushroom

Mushroom Well-Known Member

You never heard much about them in the past either, unless they did something really awesome or really stupid to get recognized.

However, thinking back, I never once saw the chaplain of my first duty station, even though I was there for over 3 years (1984-1987). 3 years, and I never once saw the Station Chaplain. In my current unit we got a new Chaplain about 4 months ago, and I have only "seen" him a few times in passing. He has never talked to me nor to my unit, and when I asked the last 2 months about services on Sunday there were none (but we all saw our last Chaplain constantly).

Chaplains are a rather interesting breed in my experience. Some actually care about those they minister to, but others could largely care less. I generally do not think of them much, to be honest.

11. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

I don't know if it's still practiced today but when I went through boot camp, every recruit was required to attend religious services every Sunday morning. You had Catholic, Protestant or Jewish services and you had a choice of attending one of them. If you didn't the (*)(*)(*)(*) hit the fan.

They always had religious services in Vietnam. I only attended once and it was after my first experiance in a fire fight at night when the (*)(*)(*)(*) hit the fan. From what I remember there wasn't a big turn out but many did attend, especially the FNG's. Services were also held just before a major operation was suppose to begin.

Back during the era, what music you heard was heavily censored on AFR, but back in 69 and 70 Eric Burden's "Sky Pilot" seemed to be played every couple of hours on the radio in the RVN.

But military chaplains seemed to have had a lot of pull in the chain of command back then.

The Hollywood left's movie "Casualties of War" with Sean Penn and Michale J. Fox is based upon a true incident that happened during the Vietnam War during 1966. (Incident on Hill 192) I never read the magazine article that was first published in 1969 that would be used to base the movie on so I don't know how historically correct the movie is. It's Hollywood and they haven't been to kind towards the U.S. military since the Vietnam War.

But I have read some accounts of the incident even Army JAG Corps records and an Army LT. "Sky Pilot" (Chaplain) played a significant role on seeing that Sgt. David E. Gervase and four other members of the squad were courts-martial and prosecuted for rape and murder of Phan Thi Mao.