Do Ethnic Minorities Deserve Safe Spaces Without White People?

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by Lil Mike, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

This used to be called segregation, but it's back in vogue on College campuses

Ethnic Minorities Deserve Safe Spaces Without White People

Last week The Ryersonian reported on an incident that involved two first-year journalism students who were turned away from an event organized by Racialized Students' Collective because they are white.

...I am a person of colour and a journalist and so there are two conflicting voices inside my head. But in this case one voice, that of a person of colour, is louder and my conscience does not allow me to be impartial. I have to take a side.

The organizers of the event, the Racialized Students' Collective, should have done a better job of labelling this event as a safe space on the Ryerson Students' Union online calendar. They should label safe spaces clearly and maybe even host events that educate the public on what they mean. Doing so will help the public and the media have a better understanding of the purpose and value of these spaces.

So apparently People of Color need areas set up with no annoying white people around. That's some oppression! So, should there be "safe spaces" where non whites can go to get away from, and talk about, white oppression, or is that just old fashioned racist segregation?

2. Gatewood

Gatewood Well-Known Member

There is a strong and growing new habit on the Left that philosophically amounts to "It's NEVER wrong when leftwingers do it!" and so from their ideological perspective racism can only occur Right of Center. But despite what they may collectively think, definitions do not change in nature when the political 'good guys' engage in those activities. When all the excuse-making is set aside in favor of cold, hard examination of actions; racism remains racism even -- gasp! -- when leftwingers selectively engage in the practice for the purpose of supporting the principle of social engineering.

Of course I have to wonder if those tender little White first year journalism students had their itty-bitty feeeeeeeeeelings injured after all their endless hours of running about telling moderately brown to dark brown folk, "We feel your pain brothers and sisters! Us White devils are EVIL! Let us join hands together to protest the White male (Republican/Conservative) demon!" Then it turns out that even good White liberals are considered EVIL by their darker skin-toned brothers and sisters. Sweet!

3. Lil Mike

I love the pretzel twists in logic that some SJW go to justify things like segregation that were supposed to be a thing of the past. Now it's back, and more ethnic than ever!

4. Gatewood

One notices that our leftwingers fell all over themselves to ignore your OP and we know it's because they cannot defend the racism of those (one is safe to assume) almost exclusively leftwing politically oriented ethnic groups because ideologically they CANNOT acknowledge that racism exists there, openly and very aggressive in nature.

5. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

if this is allowed, soon you will have white only groups too, it works both ways

and the white group will say, no other races allowed, this is a "safe space"

is that what we want? people need to think before they act... this is a dumb idea and should not be supported by are schools

6. FreshAir

you should wait longer then the 3rd post to say one side or the other is ignoring a thread... lol

7. Gatewood

Actually it would be nice if supported to the hilt by the Left because I can see the Right going to the trouble of finding someone of the correct skin tone or ethnic background and sending him or her in with a recording device, the result of the race-based, hate-filled 'safe zone' meetings to thereafter be quietly drifted across Youtube. Sweet!

8. FreshAir

the right has the kkk, we could send a recording device in there too, but do you seriously think we can blame all the left or the right for the racists among us

9. Lil Mike

It's difficult to defend, however based on history, the indefensible will become defensible once the proper talking points are ironed out. I think the columnist who wrote the article is already off to a pretty good start. "Safe spaces?" Sounds nice and cuddly!

10. Lil Mike

Well thank goodness no college would ever allow a "safe space" for a white only student group.

And they shouldn't.

However I don't think even that will successfully highlight the absurdity of this "safe space" concept.

11. Gatewood

But the KKK is known to be an EVIL racist organization. Those leftwing groups, however, are presumed to be the haven of minority angels and so doesn't everyone deserve to know whether they are or not?

12. Pred

Pred Well-Known Member

That didn't take long. And you have the Black Panthers and the NAACP. The black caucus. The ebony awards and a few other black only awards shows. There are all the black only scholarships too.

Let's count the white only awards. How about white only scholarships?

13. Princess Supastar

Princess Supastar Banned

I hope the Mayans and Incas can take their land back and be a beacon of light to the world. This is their calling, they are that lantern.

14. FreshAir

yes, that is my point, racism against on both sides and you can not assign all of it to the left or the right

blame the racists, not all of a party because they have some racists among them

15. FreshAir

this was not a group representing the left anymore then the kkk represents the right, that is my point....

I disagree with groups like these as they are discriminatory against other races... saying these are "safe zones" implies that other races are evil and make them feel unsafe, thus should not be supported by the schools

if they want to join the kkk or nbp on their off time, have at it, but not on school time or property

16. Gatewood

Yep and for these Left of Center-oriented racist-groups 'safe spaces' reminds me of the concept of 'time outs' for unruly infants. Same general principle due to a general lack of emotional maturity.

17. Micketto

Micketto New Member Past Donor

They have them.

They're called "the inner-city".

They are completely safe there.... right ?

18. mikemikev

mikemikev Banned

Yes, because only Whites can be incredibly annoying, racially insensitive or mindlessly violent.

19. Lil Mike

Well that's interesting, but are asking for some sort of revolution in Mexico or Peru? Are both of those countries going to become "safe spaces?"

20. mikemikev

mikemikev Banned

They should have a Hottentot and Japanese room where they can away from evil YT in the way only people of color can. And a Hispanic and Negro room for intellectual debates away from stupid YT. Glocks optional.

21. After Hours

After Hours Well-Known Member

No whites live in the inner city? lol

22. ThirdTerm

ThirdTerm Well-Known Member

Many of anti-fascist and anti-racism campaigners are actually white and it's counter-productive to turn away white participants who want to join such an on-campus event. The civil rights movement was successful because there were many white Americans who were sympathetic towards the cause as was the case with the abolitionist movement. An anti-racism group should not be a place to speak ill of white people in general and you cannot assume that someone is racist because of his skin colour.

23. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

'Safe Places?" Build it and they will come I guess. Why do we even need this in the first place?

24. krashsmith81

krashsmith81 New Member

I don't see this working out very well for these People of Color(TM), because without whitey around, who will they blame for the problems in their lives? Who will they mug/rape/stab/shoot - oh wait, I just remembered the black on black crime rate, and realized they still have each other to mess with. I hate it when I'm forced to accurately quote crime statistics, it makes me feel like such a white supremicist!

25. mikemikev

mikemikev Banned

Negroes and Hispanics need a safe space away from mindless YT.

Also Jews need a place where they can mix in happiness with magical people of color, without fear of being cheated or lied to by evil YT.

Not the synagogue though obviously.