Expiration dates............

Discussion in 'Member Casual Chat' started by everyman2013, Mar 29, 2015.

1. everyman2013

everyman2013 New Member

Do you take the expiration dates on canned foods seriously, or are they more like a suggestion?:hmm:
    Enjoy!

2. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

I pay attention to them but I know exactly what the dates mean.

I bought a rib eye steak last week that was marked down 50% because the sell by date expired the day before. Well I grilled that steak that night and it was excellent and I didn't get the runs but I saved five bucks.

Excerpts:
    From this website. -> http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/do-food-expiration-dates-matter

3. tecoyah

tecoyah Well-Known Member Past Donor

With canned fruit and veggies I give then a year after expiration, though very few last this long.

4. APACHERAT

There are Vietnam vets who claim they were issued WW ll dated C-Rations (C-Rats) that were over twenty years old. They even had the Lucky Strike Green cigarette box in them.

I was in-country from 69-70 and all of the C-Rats I came across were all packaged with in a year or so but if I were to come across a c-rat box today dated 1968, I don't think I would consume it but I wonder if the "Ham and Mother (*)(*)(*)(*)s" would have tasted better with aging ? :smile:

5. everyman2013

everyman2013 New Member

I was just curious if it was me being picky. I've been chucking stuff in cans and jars that are a year or older. Thanx for the input.:smile:
    Enjoy!

6. Oldyoungin

Oldyoungin Well-Known Member

On canned food not as serious , give it a sMell and look test...usually if it's bad you'll notice. If not, youll just have some diarrhea lol.

7. milorafferty

milorafferty Banned

That's funny, I loved the "green eggs and ham" LOL. I would always trade that nasty spagetti with barf chunks for the Ham and Eggs.

On topic, if the date is within a year on canned goods, I'll eat it.

8. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Depends. I have a friend that goes by them strictly because she has little sense of smell. I go by the sniff test. We have a local grocer that only sells items dumped by other stores. Some of the frozen meats are two years over their expiration date.

9. APACHERAT

If you were have been in my unit, you would have been one happy fat Marine who was well fed. :smile:

Ham and lima beans aka "ham and mother (*)(*)(*)(*)s" and ham and eggs were the two that turned my stomach.

My favorites were the for the first few days out in the bush was the spaghetti with meatballs, beans and franks and the beef steak. But what I really enjoyed was the fruit cocktail and crushed pine apple for the juice they had.

How I wish they had bottle water back then.

10. milorafferty

milorafferty Banned

I was Army Infantry, but yea, I always have plenty of people wanting to trade. I could even trade that small can of cheese and crackers for ham and eggs. LOL

I didn't mind the Ham and Lima beans, beans and franks were ok too. And yea, the fruit cocktail, that stuff was gold!

I didn't care much for the fudge thing, but the chocolate with toffee chips wasn't bad at all.

I was always prepared for the worst though, I never went to the field without my Tabasco at the ready.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that's some "aged" beef.

11. APACHERAT

Yeah, Tobasco sauce. I wonder why it was never part of the C-Rat issue ?

The only time you went to the PX was to stock up on smokes and Tobasco sauce.

Having to always have a bottle of Tobasco sauce on you when you went outside the wire only shows how bad C-Rats actually were. The biggest problem with C-Rats was that they were heavy and in the Nam every extra ounce you had to carry sucked the energy out of you.