Why the backlash against Indiana and not other states with similar laws? Timing.

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by JeffYoung, Mar 30, 2015.

1. JeffYoung

JeffYoung New Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...nd-not-other-states-with-similar-laws-timing/

The United States was formed as a coalition of states, let it remain the same. We have one of the richest self-government traditions throughout history. If Indiana wants to introduce their version of "religious freedom" legislation, they have a clear right to do so. The thing I do not like about present-day America is liberals' intolerance towards anybody who doesn't share their belief. Otherwise in turns out you are ignoring the opinion of the whole state in order to satisfy the needs of only 3% of American citizens. Quite strange.

[​IMG]

2. Karma Mechanic

Karma Mechanic Well-Known Member

Sorry our country was not founded on the principle of bigotry so we are speaking out. BTW there were many conservatives and Republicans against this.

3. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

your calling card is "if you don't agree, it MUST be bigotry"

funny how noone seems to have a problem denying Christians service is wrong....

http://freedomoutpost.com/2014/12/c...pro-traditional-marriage-cake-denied-service/

it's not "hatred" there.... it's owner rights...

but good gosh if an owner chooses not to serve a gay.... "itz thu bigotriez"

4. JeffYoung

JeffYoung New Member

Do you liberals know other words than bigotry? Looks like anyone who disagrees with your position is a bigot, fascist swine and religious extremist. Stop doing that and turn to arguments instead.
    P. S. By your principles the entire population of the United States 50 years ago could be easily called bigots. The question is whether all change is positive?

5. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

no... it's the fall to word when they can't debate a topic or when someone disagrees.

6. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

Interesting.. So you can be against something and refuse service depending on what it is... Strange that...

7. tecoyah

tecoyah Well-Known Member Past Donor

Okay...let's just sat that Utah decided to take the Mormon faith to the extreme and declare Black people to be cursed by God and should be avoided at all cost. In this light the state mandates that services ca be denied based on teachings within the Book of Mormon simple because w business owner or hospital finds their presence unacceptable to their faith.

Do you find this to be a good practice in our country?

8. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

the left seems to think so.....

Personally, I support the pro-gay/pro-ssm bakers being allowed to deny the Christian service just like I support the Christian baker's right to deny service to the gay man's wedding....

all forcing people to service someone against their will or beliefs is going to lead to is deliberate poor service.

"you want a cake that says "congrats Adam and Steve on your wedding" by 3pm on Friday for a ceromony? Sure, no problem"

oops, I didn't have the cake ready by 3pm.... but at 3:15, you got your cake with "congrads Adem and Stephen"....

poor service is not denial of service.

9. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

You really need to learn more about the "curse"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people_and_early_Mormonism

- - - Updated - - -

I as well. However it seems now you can be in favor of denial of service but then say its bigoted to do so... Progressives and logic do not match well.

10. Gateman_Wen

Gateman_Wen Well-Known Member

They do have a right to pass their stupid misbegotten ignorant excuse for thinly veiled legalized discrimination. An we all have a right to call it what it is, and companies from Angie's List to Yelp have the right to stop bringing money into the state.

11. Micketto

Micketto New Member Past Donor

Amen.

You and the rest of us.

12. Micketto

Someone's angry....

13. Micketto

There would be nationwide outrage over that and it wouldn't fly.

Gays.... not so much.

While I understand the need for you guys to take this to it's most extreme.... what people seem to be ignorant to is that 19 other states already have this law, and there are no problems.

People with signs in their windows are getting business.
    And many (I have read the term "most"), Christian business are using these signs that read "We Serve Everyone".

No one is being turned away for groceries, gas, clothing, or 99% of the other product being sold in those states.
    Some Christian bakers are able to avoid being sued for not making gay wedding cakes.... the very few that refuse them, that is.
    Some businesses are able to avoid providing abortion coverage in the insurance they provide their employees... the few that choose to, that is.

14. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

The gay mafia hysteria around this is really something to see.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs...storation-act-explained_900641.html?nopager=1

15. tecoyah

You mean like marrying horses or going all Catholic Priest on little boys?

16. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

A cake for use at a same-sex marriage is nothing like a cake with the message "Gay marriage is wrong" on the top. The equivalent of that would be a cake saying "Straight marriage is wrong" or "Christianity is wrong" but nobody has asked for any of that. If you're going to repeat that lying scum of a false Christian to support your position, it will reflect poorly on you.

No. It'd be dishonest, cowardly, self-centred, bad business, possibly fraud and still discriminatory but not denial of service. And I'm sure you'd do it given half a chance.

17. perotista

perotista Well-Known Member Past Donor

I'm not going to get all upset about Indiana and I do not think anyone else should either until the other 19 states are given the same treatment. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

In today's political atmosphere, it is when my state or party does something it is good. When the another state or other party does the exact same thing it is evil and wrong.

What we have today is government by hypocrisy and in Indiana's case, hypocritical outrage over something that was perfectly okay and right for those who claim outrage for 19 other states against Indiana. Until they get their act together I will ignore them as the hypocrites they are.

18. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

bad service happens everyday all over..... hard to differentiate between normal bad service, and specific bad service. again, if you demand service.... don't be surprised at what kind you get.

would I rather find a business I know supports and wants me, or run the risk of not getting my wedding cake on time just to make a political point? Personally, I'd simply find a business I was confident wouldn't screw up my product or timeline.

19. Micketto

I guess.... I mean... if that's your comparison to homosexuality. Although it's not mine.

20. CircleBird

CircleBird Banned

This is the same thing as Sharia law.

21. way2convey

way2convey Well-Known Member

Oh, stop whining. Yes, co's can stop doing business with IN, but they won't, at least not over the long haul.

22. tecoyah

These are some of the "Extremes" used by those opposed to homosexuality. I see this in the same way I do the Abortion debate...it is none of my business but opposing those who think it is theirs gets me a bit pissed off.

Don't like Gays...do not be gay.
    Do not like abortion...do not have one.
    Do not like broccolli...don't eat it.

Do not like discrimination...don't try to impose your opinions on others. Because I will discriminate against your arrogance.

23. Micketto

Refusing to make a cake is not "imposing" an opinion.
    Refusing to sell a wedding dress to a gay man is not "imposing" an opinion.
    Refusing to spend the evening taking pictures at a gay wedding is not "imposing" an opinion.

I wish those who oppose this would at least use logic.

24. Micketto

Well here ^ is someone who hasn't the slightest clue what Sharia law is.

At least you know how to drag extremism into ridiculousness.

25. Karma Mechanic

Karma Mechanic Well-Known Member

Dozens of people in my daily life disagree with me on tax policy, the military use, government spending etc. None are bigots for it. You are a bigot if you think some people do not deserve the same access to life and happiness because of who they are. Denying gay people marriage because you don't like gay people is bigotry. Denying gay people a cake because you think gay people shouldn't marry is bigotry. It is very simple. j

I did you don't like it and say bigoted things. like satisfy only 3% of the population. A lot more people think gays should be free of discrimination.

Yes they were as they struggled with their beliefs and the values of this country. (I would argue that their religious beliefs aren't based on bigotry either but some preachers over the years have made that argument). Just like when large sections of the population thought black people were less human. Most of the country grew up I am sorry you didn't.