Burger flippers demanding $15/hr

Discussion in 'United States' started by BrianBoo, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianBoo

BrianBoo Active Member

2. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member Past Donor

There is no doubt that an increase in their pay is going to be directly passed on to the consumer.

Not sure if raising their pay to 15 bucks an hour is something that people are going to agree with when their family outing to McDonalds costs them 60 dollars.

3. BrianBoo

BrianBoo Active Member

Agreed. And this whole entitlement mentality is ridiculous.:steamed:

What makes these people think they're entitled to make $15/hour at a low skill job? They should concentrate on bettering themselves by improving their skill set, getting education, etc. so that they're not stuck in these low-skill jobs.

And I'm sure union thuggery won't be far behind in this dust up.:roll:

4. Hotdogr

Hotdogr Well-Known Member Past Donor

If they do manage to push this through, 2/3 of them will lose their jobs.

I don't know if 'Sheetz' stores are nationwide, but I'd encourage anyone working at McDonalds that is arguing for a $15/hr wage to go have lunch at Sheetz, and see what the future of fast food is. You can order your custom food on a touchscreen at the fuel island while you're pumping your fuel, and pay with a credit card right there. There is NO need for interaction with people, at all. There are just two people in the back assembling sandwiches.

Be careful what you demand, entitlement-seekers; you may get something other than what you expected.

5. perotista

perotista Well-Known Member Past Donor

6. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

Exprience today at MCdonalds:

Me: "Can I have a number 13 but instead of coffee do cappochino"

15$ potential worker: "A What?"

Me: Cappochino please

Her: " A What sir?"

Me: Forget it, just a Coffee Black no sugar

Her: "Would you like cream with that?"

Me: No Black just Black

Her: with sugar?

Me: ARGGGGGGGGGGGGG

7. Channe

Channe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Flipping burgers full time should put you barley above the poverty line - which is around $10 in most states.

8. BrianBoo

BrianBoo Active Member

I actually like Sheetz for a quick sandwich when I'm in a rush. Plus, you specify everything you want on the sandwich without the constant confusion. The only downside is having to run inside to the kiosk, as opposed to a drive thru.....however 50%+ of the time my orders get screwed up by the drive thru person anyway if I do go to a McDonald's or similar.

Again....it's a low skill job for people with little skills and no education. They have no right to demand anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly! :roflol:

9. Pardy

Pardy Well-Known Member Past Donor

Seeing threads like these makes me wonder when poor people will wake up and realize that Republicans hate them.

I get why the GOP hates poor people. Poor people show the flaws of capitalism. What I don't get is why poor people support a party that complains about them daily, and constantly invents ways to punish them.

A burger flipper has a right to a living wage.

10. sec

sec Well-Known Member

let's just let that hang there

they have a right to it

that is quite interesting

11. BrianBoo

BrianBoo Active Member

Oh please.:roll:

I don't hate poor people. I dislike groups of people, who rather than trying to better themselves, believe they have "the right to a living wage" as you put it, and who further believe that union type tactics are the way to get what they want.

12. Talon

Talon Well-Known Member Past Donor

I wonder when the Babeuvian Illierati are going to embrace personal responsibility. I won't be holding my breath.

Obviously, there's a lot of things you don't get. Economics, personal responsibility, Republicans, what makes people successful in life...

And where in the Constitution that you hate does this right exist?

Never forget that you have the right to put your money where your mouth is and pay those people what they want out of your own pocket.

13. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

They are entitled to whatever they can get, union or no union. That's capitalism, my man.

14. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

As I see it, a burger flipper is entitled to whatever he can get, just as ownership is entitled to whatever profit he can get. Who would have thought that baseball players could make $15,000,000/year until they tried. And the game marches on.

15. vino909

vino909 Well-Known Member

you are predictable .... what you say is untrue. It's not capitalism that is flawed... it's politics and education. Nobody I know is against people having a living wage, or against helping people who are truly in need. You continue to shoot from the hip with the approved talking points and it does nothing for your credibility.

16. Pardy

If a guy who flips burgers works harder than a corporate executive, why shouldn't he make a comparable wage, let alone 0.01% of it?

Hard work used to pay off decades ago. Now, hard work is meaningless and many poor people are better off on welfare. The greedy 80s saw that the rich got richer, the poor lost job security, pensions were eliminated, and now the Republicans want to punish them even more. When I hear a Republican speak about poor people, I hear the contempt and resentment. It's as if poor people need to know their place, and that's why they don't deserve to earn a better wage.

Despite what Sarah Palin says, flipping burgers is as good of a job as many people will get. It's not always a 'stepping stone', but for many it's a career. If they have kids to feed, those kids are going to suffer because of the stigma of poverty. People who are branded as "poor" are seen as undeserving, and the poor are often blamed for society's ills.

17. Pardy

Capitalism isn't inherently flawed. But the system has been hijacked by greedy people and no longer works. Supply-siders managed to ruin the economic machine that took America from a colony to a superpower in only 100 years.

Capitalism needs regulation and intervention. Unregulated capitalism causes extreme wealth, but it also causes extreme poverty. Taxing the rich and helping the poor does not reduce incentive, and it worked for America for a very long time.

18. wgabrie

wgabrie Well-Known Member Donor

Well, they don't need $15/hour income, but we need more section 8 housing projects!

19. vino909

vino909 Well-Known Member

Interesting how you selectively quoted my comment, rather than address your false generalization that republicans hate poor people. THAT is the untruth you spoke that is at issue.

20. Hotdogr

It's not capitalism if they use the government to force it on businesses. That, my man, is the antithesis of capitalism.

21. Hotdogr

When you have a surplus of available jobs, and not enough qualified people to fill them, that's what the free market will do for wages. We should aspire to those conditions for everyone.

22. gorte

gorte Banned

the poor need to wake UP and stop having kids that they cant afford to raise properly, without mooching off of the taxpayer and without "raising" welfare bums/criminals. For most people, the choice is"Have a couple of kids and work 50 years, to never have anything', or "remain childless and retire in less than 20 years".

23. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

I agree; low-skilled or otherwise everyone deserves a living wage but put a few cents on the cost of their burger and conservatives go nuts. Aren't they supposed to be the party of the blue-collar worker?

24. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

Careful or you'll get labelled a bleeding-heart liberal. Of course those who are the first to condemn would be the first in line for welfare if they lost their jobs. I'd love to see that smugness wiped off their self-satisfied conservative faces.

25. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

Yeah, there's nothing like the mindless stereotyping of an entire group is there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.