A Sea of Poppies Commemorating ANZAC Day

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by longknife, Apr 24, 2015.

1. longknife

longknife New Member

2. mister magoo

mister magoo New Member

I think the turnout for Anzac Day this year will be huge....particularly after the Martin Place siege....
    today will be an illustration of Australias solidarity and our memory of the Armed Forces of this country and NZ who gave their lives...and those that were fortunate enough to return...In 1968 my date of birth didnt come out of the barrel...otherwise I would have gone to Vietnam....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urtiyp-G6jY

3. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Well-Known Member

Heard Mike Kelly give a nice speech this morning. He made a good point about Australia choosing to remember a defeat and the spirit shown by men from a new nation that bonded together in adversity, rather than focus on any sort of military triumphalism. That the Gallipoli campaign was the first time a lot of the men identified as Australian, or ANZAC, rather than as Victorian or another colony. And there was a shared loss and mourning that united Australia, and the ANZACs, after Gallipoli that hadn't existed before.

Also saw an interview I thought was interesting where Brendan Nelson said there was an untold story of the work done by diplomats and politicians to avoid war.

4. perotista

perotista Well-Known Member Past Donor

I made it down to Vung Tau a couple of times when I was in Vietnam where the Aussies had an air unit. Great soldiers and airmen. A hand salute to their dearly departed from this old soldier.

5. mister magoo

mister magoo New Member

Gday from Australia...eery thing about "I was only 19" is that the first name mentioned in the song ........is mine....

6. perotista

And a Howdy from Georgia. I had a chance or two to make it to Australia on R&R, I passed it up to return to Bangkok. I belong to the VFW post 9951 Bangkok and they took part or will be taking part in the ANZAC day ceremonies in Kanchanaburi Thailand.

7. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

Sounds like Mike Kelly nailed it - not that I'm surprised at that. There's been a lot blather lately about why we remember it. Kelly said it. The other commentators are just crapping on and saying nothing of importance. The Minister who led our local dawn service this morning gave some really good words in much the same vein and really hit it. The Minister is, of course, a religious person, not a pollie. Ex-copper too, I knew him when he was in the job. Anyway he did a fine job. Maybe after 100 years we are finally understanding.

8. DaS Energy

DaS Energy New Member

9. DominorVobis

DominorVobis Banned at Members Request

If I had a dollar for every drunk yankee serviceman I chucked out of Whiskey Au Go Go in the early seventies I'd have about $200 lol. King's Cross in the R&R days was something else.

10. perotista

LOL. There were a lot of places that were something else in the R&R days. Only $200.00, I would have bet it would have been a whole lot more.

11. DominorVobis

*three goes into four one time, remainder 3, ...*

So Danny boy you are around 66?

12. DominorVobis

Probably a hell of a lot more, yeah the world was different then, we were a lot more innocent then. Wars in the past had been sterilised in the media, the sixties and seventies were a coming of age.

13. perotista

A very different place and I agree about the sterilization of wars of the past. Vietnam was the first TV war that brought in the blood and gore from the battlefield onto the small screen. I do not know about coming of age, but one thing is for sure. It showed war is one nasty thing.

WWI was probably even nastier. But there was no TV back then either.

14. mister magoo

mister magoo New Member

15. DominorVobis

Within an actable margin.

16. culldav

culldav Well-Known Member

Use pretty flowers as a ruse to cover what really happened, and what do you know - the gullible sheep have fallen for the ruse. I bet thousands of these morons will head to Bunnings warehouse to buy Poppy bulbs on the way home :roflol:

I wonder what would have happened if they replaced the pretty poppies with dummies of dead soldiers representing what really happens in war. Maybe some shock-value is what these idiots need to wake them up that celebrating war and killing is not a good thing.

Celebrating one person killing another over a piece of land, but some on here condem the white man for doing the same to the indigenous people of Australia. :roflol:

17. DominorVobis

I really don't think anyone celebrates killing people on ANZAC day actually.

18. longknife

longknife New Member

I thought the whole thing was to celebrate the lives of those brave men who died because they followed the orders in inept fools who only held their generalships through corruption.

19. DaS Energy

DaS Energy New Member

Abbott went to Gallipoli to laugh with his fellow Britisher's about the Turks blowing us right back to Australia.

20. culldav

Didn't individuals get killed during wars and military conflicts, or am I missing something? Making a big fuss over people who killed other people on the orders of someone else, is demonstrating that you agree with killing, because that is what they did - like it or not.

21. culldav

The stupid ANZAC's were as nothing more than Churchill's cannon fodder, in a bungled military operation, that saw him get sacked through incompetence. But hey, lets all get sentimental and romantic about it, and sweep the truth and facts under the carpet. The sentimental and romantic side of the story looks better than the facts and truth, so lets all believe that instead. Lets all pretend the ANZAC's were a bunch of hero's instead by calling them a bunch of fools, which is what they were, by following the military orders of a moron.

22. DominorVobis

You are right, my bad, I just never looked at in such a twisted and perverted way. Let's kill, maim, burn and destroy everything. Your a fool if you really believe what you wrote. The reason MOST people, those that do not have such a twisted belief, look upon ANZAC day as a reminder of the futility of war, but if killing is all you have, then go ahead, but I would talk to someone if I was you.

23. mister magoo

mister magoo New Member

Mate, if you believe this, youre trippin' :eyepopping:

24. culldav

Am I really "trippin" in believing that 8,709 Australians were killed in Gallipoli due to Churchill be a total moron and an incompetent military commander?

Am I really 'trippin" in believing that many of these men that died in Gallipoli were fools, who followed to orders of a moron to their deaths?

Am I really "trippin" in believing that Australians have a morbid fascination creating "hero's" out people who are really NOT hero's?

Why do Australians like to ignore the truth and facts, by covering it up with romantic, fictious, fantasies?

25. culldav

If you are suggesting that strangers didn't kill each other on the orders of someone else, like a hand full of scummy politicians - then you are the one who needs to talk with someone, because you are living in denial