Bill would end birthright citizenship.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by leftlegmoderate, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftlegmoderate

leftlegmoderate New Member

Good, this needs to happen. At the very least, citizenship should be denied when the parents cannot demonstrate citizenship. It simply makes no sense to continue the practice of birthright citizenship, as it's basically rewarding those who intentionally violate our immigration laws.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/229778-bill-would-end-birthright-citizenship

2. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member Past Donor

I like it actually.

3. leftlegmoderate

Birthright citizenship?

4. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member Past Donor

Getting rid of it.

5. reallybigjohnson

reallybigjohnson Banned

The original intent was to guarantee that children of slaves were considered citizens if I recall. It has long outlived its usefulness and I don't think any other country on earth doesn't require at least one parent to be a citizen. Here if you are just born on the soil you are granted that.

6. AmericanNationalist

AmericanNationalist Well-Known Member

Agreed, Birthright Citizenship was just that: A birthright for the Nation. The entire reason it was written in the first place(outside of the Slavery question, which is obvious) was that even back then: American Citizenship was the greatest quality a person could have. The national pride, honor and dignity of being a citizen. Above all else, you'd know who was who and there'd be no backstabbers.

What was once a noble conferment to our citizens, has now become a gift to those who happen to sneak on our borders and "whoops, I just had a child."
    Screw you, you weren't an American when you came here, and your child isn't an American now.

7. perotista

perotista Well-Known Member Past Donor

That's interesting, I never thought of the phrase, "subject to the jurisdiction thereof." Like most I would assume, assumed the 14th automatically gave the babies citizenship. I did know the 14th was written to ensure the ex-slaves would be treated as citizens and to ensure all were now citizens of the U.S. It was never meant to include illegal aliens or foreigners visiting this country. If one searched the original meaning of the 14th that is clear.

But original intent has been lost when it comes to political agendas. There are times when I look at some ruling of the SCOTUS I wonder if they even bothered to check the original intent of the constitution or the amendments or if they just pulled something out the air because they can.

Interesting, something I will have to give some thought to.

8. leftlegmoderate

It's hard to imagine that the situation we have today was intended!

9. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

would King oppose Birthright Citizenship if all these illegal immigrants, were white?

doubtful.

10. TomFitz

TomFitz Well-Known Member

It's always fun watching right wingers claim how much they love and respect the Constitution, until they don't.

11. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

until it doesn't fit their agenda

12. perotista

perotista Well-Known Member Past Donor

It wasn't. The situation today has been brought upon us a political agenda.

13. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

Typical conservatism, lets make American society even more nativist, exclusivist and elitist. Let's ignore the fact that someone who is born here, is born HERE, on OUR sacred soil, and it is that soil that makes us who we are, none of us bound by the circumstances of our birth. That's not just symbolic, that's the essence of our country, and it's amazingly dangerous to me that conservatives now want to repeal it.

The end of unrestricted immigration in 1924, and the imposition of an immigration policy that was the only one praised by Adolf Hitler was where our troubles began. (No Godwin, that's actually in Mein Kampf, look it up). The USA is a nation of nations, and as powerful/ prosperous as we are because we are built upon the greatest mass migration in mankind's history. Our Founding Fathers would regard today's conservatives as cowardly milksops, unable to utilize the resources others bring because we are paralyzed by paranoid fear. Americans will never be so afraid of healthy competition that we say we have "no more room" in our vast continent

14. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

if you were born in America, I think your an American by birth, especially if you have lived here sense birth and know no where else

15. Steve N

Steve N Well-Known Member Past Donor

The are white - white Hispanics.

16. Steve N

How can you even hint at any of that when we have millions of illegals and one of the most lax immigration enforcement policies in the world?

17. Athelite

Athelite Well-Known Member Past Donor

Perhaps the same can be said of the 2nd.

18. AmericanNationalist

AmericanNationalist Well-Known Member

The Founding Fathers gave us several rights, among which was to amend the Constitution(I believe with 3/4ths of a vote, though I could be mistaken) as well as the need to abolish or reform government to return it to its rightful position to serve the public, instead of serving itself.

The 14th Amendment no longer serves a purpose, so its abolition is completely in line with precedence. So, what's that about the Constitution?

19. Steve N

What do you think the Founders would have said about same sex marriage?

20. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

Considering we have many people from around the globe that immigrate here legally.....

21. Athelite

Athelite Well-Known Member Past Donor

If I had to guess, that it's unnatural.

22. Injeun

Injeun Well-Known Member

Well, the nation would have to be founded by blacks and browns. But that's the stuff of fantasies. Being white, if I snuck into a another nation in violation of their laws, I'd expect no favoritism, much less demand it, regardless of that nations race. Even if I wandered deep into the land, settled in a green valley, put down roots and raised a family....I'd still be an illegal living in a fantasy if I thought myself belonging there.

23. cd8ed

cd8ed Well-Known Member Past Donor

At issue is the current laws are being abused. Much like our corporate tax laws there are gaping holes in the system - they need to be addressed. This isn't a left vs right issue.

24. GeddonM3

GeddonM3 Well-Known Member

Wait wait wait, we are white remember? According to criminal statistic us hispanics are combined with white people.

Jesus christ once again, will you liberals make up your (*)(*)(*)(*)ing minds about who we are? Seriously I am sick and tired of you liberals using us as your platform as you so see fit. When we are illegals you consider us bronw people that white people hate, when we commit crimes against black people we are white......

MAKE UP YOUR DAMNED MINDS!!!!!! We are not your liberal play toy you can use to whatever angle you wish, you liberals offend me a hell of a lot more than an open racist.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes get rid of birthright citizenship for illegals. No way should a criminal invader be rewarded because they have a baby here.

25. Injeun

Injeun Well-Known Member

Well said! Nice post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.