UK: Conservatives closing in on majority

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by AlpinLuke, May 8, 2015.

1. AlpinLuke

AlpinLuke Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.com/news/election/2015

As it should be, a strong, serious and pragmatic government like the one leaded by Cameron is seeing its efforts awarded by the electorate.

The Tories are going to win these general elections with a great result and a wide consensus.

The United Kingdom has expressed a clear will and a clear indication about the direction that the country is going to follow in the next years.

2. Xanadu

Xanadu New Member

UK politics...
    If the Conservatives have reached an absolute number of votes (unknown what the weight of each vote currently is) without a political or street revolution, is clearly why they use words and phrases like 'together we make the UK stronger' and 'absolute majority', to let people's minds work, let them communicate harder to reach a revolution.
    Once you have figured out what they (the K without the U) are trying to accomplish (always the same thing, a revolution to unify a majority of the population), you have to figure out how to prevent one, because you cannot make the same old mistake once again (that a small powerful group is taking over a society/nation)

It seems that people can only do one thing in these times, become independent on everything they are dependent on (which is hard), and next do nothing when you have that absolute independence.
    The Scotish people have the same problem as the British people, they will never become independent via politics, but end in absolute dependent (rock solid part of the system in too large numbers)

3. ThirdTerm

ThirdTerm Well-Known Member

There was a 5% swing to Conservatives from Labour after the last poll was taken, which showed that the two parties were tied, and the birth of Princess Charlotte may have been a major factor which determined the outcome of the general election. English voters were bombarded with the images of the royal family for few days prior to the general election, which made them feel inclined to vote Conservative. Another factor is the rise of the SNP which ended up winning 56 seats. 70% of English voters said the SNP should not be able to veto English laws by forming a coalition government with Labour and they may have voted tactically for the Tories to prevent a Scottish takeover.

[video=youtube;9uyJDMV4BrU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uyJDMV4BrU[/video]

4. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

A shock result! The bookies had been offering 7/1 odds for a Tory win.

I think most people that voted Conservative didn't really expect to get a majority in the House of Commons. It is a very slim majority.

Cameron is at heart of Left-wing Liberal & pro-EU, so why he leads a Conservative party is a strange one.

My fear is that for the EU referendum, I can see (fear) the same propaganda machine used to get Cameron elected will be used again to get a majority vote to keep the UK in the EU.

I actually voted Conservative for fun, as in the County where I live the Tories usually poll 10-15% & never get elected.

I think the biggest scare tactic that worked for the Tories this time was to get English voters to 'stop a nu-Labour/SNP coalition'.

5. diamond lil

diamond lil Well-Known Member

So the turkeys have voted for Christmas. Still, at least we can all take up fox hunting again even if the NHS is finished.

6. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

This is the trouble with a Cameron led Tory party. It is nu-Labour under a blue flag!

There is no danger of fox hunting being re-introduced & no danger of the NHS being privatised.

These are just the usual knee-jerk, left wing propaganda slogans trotted out by the liberal-left..

You have to learn that the left-right battle has been put to bed & to fool yourself differently is just dogma.

The nu-labour party has nothing to offer to the poor working class.

The best option we have is to do away with the Conservatives & nu-labour & reinvent ourselves outside of European PR muddle-ground influence, which leads to nothing but behind-the-doors political elite deals.

We need to keep First past the post & get away from all this silly multi-party politics that distract us from the real issues that effect the British voters... But I fear that the education system has dumbed down so many that they just do not see the real issue anymore.

7. Fugazi

Fugazi New Member Past Donor

Agree with the second part of your comment, the first part is just to ridiculous to even entertain.

8. perotista

perotista Well-Known Member Past Donor

At least you guys got more of a choice than our monopoly/two major parties. Best of luck to you all.

9. Fugazi

The problem with UK politics is that there is now no centre position, Cons and Labs have moved towards the centre away from their traditional positions of right and left respectfully but not enough to be seen as true centrists, leaving UKIP on the right and The Greens on the left.

Historically the Libs were the centrists until they got into bed with the Tories that is and by doing so they have lost all and any respect they had from their voters, as can be seen by some of the biggest swings against them ever seen in an election.

The biggest thing that led to Cameron getting a majority was the SNP, people were scared (*)(*)(*)(*)less that Labour would do a deal despite saying they wouldn't and by far the English people did not want SNP MP's deciding English issues.

What I find really hypocritical is that all of the countries that make up Britain, except England, have some form of self-governing and yet most of the parties resist setting up an English Parliment. I personally would prefer to see a Federal type government for the UK, where we have a UK wide government deciding policy that effects the whole of the UK and individual governments for NI, Wales, England & Scotland deciding policy for each of those countries, this does not mean there would have to be extra MP's, The UK wide government could be made up of representatives from each of the other governments.

10. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Interesting that for all the talk about UKIP, they still barely made a showing.

11. Fugazi

Wrong.

As a percentage of votes they were the third largest at 12.6%

Party %
    CON 36.9
    LAB 30.4
    UKIP 12.6
    LD 7.9
    SNP 4.7
    GRN 3.8

If the UK had PR (D'Hondt system) instead of FPTP the House would look very different, UKIP would have 83 seats, the Greens 25 seats, Cons 75 seats less

The time of two party politics in the UK is over, time for a better, fairer voting system IMHO.

12. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

One seat is barely making a showing. The rest is meaningless.

13. Fugazi

How good of you to declare 3.8 million people as meaningless.

14. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

I received an email from an online petition group asking me to sign up for a petition to introduce the PR system into the UK. Along with the email there was the usual "progressive" liberal-left BS nonsense about making my vote count.

This made me laugh as I always do at the idea of PR voting system. Even more so, when I read the projected results of the recent 2015 election results under a PR system. It would have led to a land-slide victory for a Tory-UKIP coalition. I can imagine the horror of the liberal-left at such an idea to see UKIP in government..

A case of beware of what you wish for!!!

15. Fugazi

Your observation is in line with a question I saw asked on another forum I am a member of .. The question was aimed at the Greens, Liberals and all those who support PR (As I do and I am a solid UKIP supporter)

The question was along the lines of "Under PR UKIP would have about 80 seats and if they had entered into a coalition with the Tories would have produced one of the most right-wing governments seen in the UK, under that scenario do you still advocate and support PR?"

By far the response was yes they still supported and advocated a form of PR.

16. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

Well I'm a little surprised at that result, maybe they think that the "c"onservative nature of the British voter will change over time. There would be so many demos against Tory-UKIP introduced policies by the "progressive" liberal-left that could only lead to the only conclusion that they support PR ONLY if it results in a social democratic result .... Which is the reason why the PR system was created in the first place.

17. mairead

mairead New Member

Just to make something very clear here. The Conservatives main support came from around London and the South East where the same Conservatives have been spending billions of pounds regenerating that . area to the detriment of the north of England and the great Northern cities which are now calling to be taken into Scotland because of the poor treatment by the conservatives and the poverty they are now suffering. 2015 and there are more foodbanks in the country than there ever was during and after the war. That is the truth about Conservative Britain. The North of England, Scotland, N.Ireland and Wales all totally rejected the Tories but the wealthy masses in London and the SE of England and the numerous seats they held there gave Cameron victory. God help us all now.

18. Fugazi

I possibly think a lot of them, having supported PR before, felt that if they changed their tune now they would lose all creditability .. whether they would support it in practice is another matter.

19. Fugazi

What a load of BS, have you actually seen the results map of the UK

Results_Map.png