What a surprise, an intelligen liberal.

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Hoosier8, May 24, 2015.

1. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Much like my liberal friends, Kirsten Powers, a liberal and FOX news contributor, sees the problem of liberal intolerance, the attempted silencing of speech. The attempted silencing of religious views. The attempted silencing of anything that does not fit the narrative of liberal ideology.

[video=youtube_share;tgS2JsG8RKc]http://youtu.be/tgS2JsG8RKc[/video]

2. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

I thought this thread was going to be about me .....:hiding:

(PS, you are confusing "liberal" with "Democratic National Committee of Wall Street" in the phrase "liberal ideology")

3. Hoosier8

I couldn't even get the t on intelligent right. Sigh.

4. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

I will agree that liberals need to be very careful providing justification/cover for employers / corporations who fire people for off-the- clock political or social conduct because we feel it shows what we perceive as 'an intolerance towards 'bigotry'. We have always recognized there is a disparate amount of power between an employer and his employee. Now all of the sudden, if you don't like your employer micromanaging your personal or political conduct, just quit and find another job. It has never been that easy and when your entire family's economic security is in danger, it is a coercive environment. I can work with or under a homophobe who blathers on about the radical gay agenda etc in his off time or has some bigoted bumper sticker on his car , a lot easier than I can tolerate an environment where unpopular political or social views are met with pink slips because of conduct deemed 'inconsistent with our company values'.

There is a difference between social consequences for bigoted views and economic consequences for bigoted views. The former is a penalty that is part of the process. The latter is almost as chilling a fear as an arrest warrant or an IRS audit.

5. Hoosier8

The problem now is not the bigoted comment but the honest comment which can get you fired.

6. Karma Mechanic

Karma Mechanic Well-Known Member

she is hardly a liberal anymore and like most of the Fox crowd she has become a reader of nonsense.

7. Hoosier8

In other words, if you back up her view that as long as you do not spout the PC view of liberalism, she is a pariah. Thanks for supporting her.

8. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

the problem is that we are leaving the distinction up to a human resources dept, and sometimes a public relations droid, who can effectively repackage a corporate image, with a well timed ' pc' termination. Its sometimes easier for get away with a long history of exploitive labor anti-union practices, if you announce a 'zero tolerance' policy against racism, sexism and homophobia by any management or employee and enforce it by firing someone who wrote something undiplomatic on twitter or facebook about some anti-police looters , or some leather-lovers in a gay pride parade.

I don't like to see a lot of morals clauses in employment contracts. they can become very flexible instruments to intimidate politically unpopular behavior in communities without a lot of big name employers. I see a point is many professions, but this cannot be allowed to become pervasive. I am also not thrilled with credit checks at employment, bans on smokers, or even the ever popular drug testing.

9. Deckel

Weave awl ben no'ed 2 muake un typed-o from thyme two thymes.

Why is this a problem? Not meaning why is it a problem if you lose your job, but what do you think is the reason why this situation exists....

Could it be less about politics and more about economic desperation wherein business are afraid of losing any dollars to their competition whatsoever?

10. Hoosier8

That situation has been created by the intolerant PC environment. You are correct about the decision but the intolerance of ideas is the cause.

11. Deckel

Sorry, but I disagree. The right is filled with people who are just as intolerant as the left who would fire you because you are gay, aren't a Christian, use profanity, etc. These types have always been around though. The only difference is the desperation for money, either in the form of campaign donations or sales of goods and services, has given these people some greater degree of willingness to act on their extremism.

12. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

Here is a great example of the same thing coming from a right wingnut, Michelle Bachman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cJUBOZE26k

Makes you just want to jap slap her, to get her to shut up and let the man get one sentence in.

13. Channe

Channe Well-Known Member Past Donor

she's puuuurrrty

[​IMG]

14. Hoosier8

Got examples?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I know, because women are not worthy. Got it.

15. Marine1

Marine1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Your like many other Liberals, just because a Liberal is on Fox News, they really can't be a Liberal. That is complete nonsense.

16. Deckel

What particular example of conservative compassion would you like--Buckley attacking Vidal for his sexuality in the Presidential Debate coverage; Reagan coining the "Welfare Queen" nonsense; Ann Coulter referring to John Edwards as a (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)?

17. Hoosier8

No, just examples.

18. Deckel

There are a whole bunch of examples falling by the wayside as we speak as all these ridiculous gay marriage, anti-gay rights laws and amendments are being slaughtered by the courts. .

19. Hoosier8

You mean those intolerant of the gay jihadists?

20. Tram Law

Tram Law Banned

You know, I think she could be just blowing hot air.

or she's just arguing for herself and her own, and this is really nothing more than just infightinf over resources using tricky language.

Sorry, but I'm very skeptical that she means the things she says in that video.

21. Tipper101

Tipper101 Well-Known Member

I have watched her for a long time(not trying to be creepy here or anything), and have noticed her change, albeit slowly, from what I consider a strong leftist to someone who is far more open to other viewpoints. Her regularity on Fox I assumed was the reason, though apparently she spends time in a church full of conservatives as well. It's always refreshing to see someone who spends significant time amongst people who fundamentally disagree with them on a lot of issues. It's one of the reasons why I come here to this site: I don't agree with a lot of people around here, but I do it anyway because there's nothing more boring than singing to the choir.

As such, she is one of the few liberals who has my respect. Same goes for Bob Beckel and a few others.

Oh and she's single and hot. That helps too. (now I AM trying to be creepy).

22. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

`
    Kirsten Powers stopped being a liberal "in 2006 when, during a trip to Taiwan, she believes that she was visited by Jesus. She has called her conversion "a bit of a mind bender" due to her political beliefs and former atheism, and prefers the term "orthodox Christian" over "evangelical" to describe herself, given the "cultural baggage" around the word "evangelical". - source

Brown bottle vision.

23. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Well-Known Member Past Donor

It's funny how the cons keep falling for the false narrative of liberal vs conservative dueling bubbleheads on faux news.
    The dancing bears they trot out only pander to the paranoid obsessions of the far right and there is never any serious discussion of actual issues.
    Faux news is more like a Jerry Springer shout-a-thon than a rational discussion by intelligent people of good will.
    They are only in it to stoke up the useful idiots and keep them coming back for more mindless validation of their anger and paranoia.
    And these bozos think that they're actually watching a serious political discussion rather than being manipulated.

24. ringotuna

ringotuna Well-Known Member Past Donor

Are you saying religion and liberalism are not compatible?

25. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

`
    You obviously did not read my source. She gave up being a liberal when Jesus talked to her, aka: conversion. Now she's a full-fledged conservative.