Should America be the World's Policeman?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by US Conservative, Jun 1, 2015.

1. US Conservative

US Conservative Well-Known Member Past Donor

All I ask is that you watch the video before you respond.

We have seen the fruit of isolationism in Iraq with ISIS, and in 1940's Europe with Hitler.
    The world more interconnected today than it has ever been-and those connections including commerce and military alliances are critical to world stability.
    Regardless of ones desire to BE the worlds police force, we defacto are, and will remain so.
    A strong US presence is mutually beneficial to other nations as well.

[video=youtube;176KRhEAgUs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=176KRhEAgUs[/video]

My thoughts to come.

2. Tram Law

Tram Law Banned

Most cops are just thugs with a badge.

I really don't want America to be the world's policeman because of this. Right now America is shoving it's weight around in cultural imperialsm, and is meddling in other things too.

It is American meddling in the Middle east that created terrorism.

This would be like the police arming one street gang to go after the other, then having the nerve to act shocked when that street gang turns on them and kills a few cops.

Sorry, but I do not want America to be the world's policeman.

The world needs to learn to protect itself and take care of its own problems.

3. FearandLoathing

FearandLoathing Well-Known Member

What?

You have met "most cops"?

Another leftist meme. Blind, uninformed opinion, socially castrating all policemen is the foundation of American liberal thinking today. never mind actually looking at the issues, trying for any understanding of the depths of the issues, not even do a search on modern police training, merely throw out one sentence branding "most police" as "thugs"

Considering that the Amerikan leftist movement acts like this, one can only conclude that the collective IQ of the entire Democratic party is 7.

You know that's bigotry right?

..and obviously didn't even watch the video.

4. jmblt2000

jmblt2000 Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence about being the world's policeman...However, I am against foreign aid to countries that support terrorism, are a dictatorship, etc. In my opinion, if you are going to accept foreign aid from our country...Then don't bad mouth us, don't oppose us...Yes, disagree...But don't call us the great Satan. Follow the link http://www.foreignassistance.gov/web/RGAIntro.aspx ...I think about half those countries would drop off the map

5. DennisTate

DennisTate Well-Known Member Past Donor

Now I am on a somewhat different page……. I believe that America's artistic community tends to have a somewhat higher level of understanding of the big picture than…… members of the ignorant masses….. such as myself, tend to have.

I believe that sincere and well intentioned aspiring Presidential candidates such as Mr. Mitt Romney……. could find the right people to manage this for him…… and a series of documentary plus reality plus semi- reality science fiction films could be initiated that would turn out to be win - win - win -win for America….. and for our allies….. and would soon become a part of the economic recovery of the whole world……

(I admit that there is great danger in what I am proposing here……. and movies like "Hunger GAmes" do a good job of warning us about how badly this could be turned toward darkness)!

http://www.politicalforum.com/humor...ughn-mitt-romney-he-wins-election-2012-a.html

Vince Vaughn…. as Mitt Romney…. and he wins the election in 2012?!
    I am sure that Mitt remembers the line made famous by Max Baer……."Jethro Bodine, movie producer at your service!"
    ……
    http://www.politicalforum.com/showthread.php?t=401463&page=2&p=1065037687#post1065037687
    Would Mitt Romney as President in 2016 inspire Iran to scrap nuclear weapon plans?

6. DennisTate

Actually…… if Russia had not meddled so much in the Middle East….. America might not have felt such pressure to get involved there as well?!?!

http://www.tldm.org/News9/RussianInfluenceOnMideast.htm

7. DennisTate

I think that you will be somewhat encouraged by a series of questions and answers over in another discussion:

http://www.politicalforum.com/showthread.php?t=408831&page=20&p=1065060519#post1065060519
    Russia on the brink of collapse
    http://citywire.co.uk/money/russia-on-brink-of-collapse-warns-newtons-pidcock/a787220

8. maat

maat Well-Known Member Past Donor

If we are to be the worlds cop, then countries need to fund our bases in their borders.

9. perotista

perotista Well-Known Member Past Donor

I suppose it all depends on what one's definition of worlds policeman is. I do think we stick our nose into a lot of different countries business where it doesn't belong. But then I think we have to look after our friends.

I wouldn't be worried about the Ukraine or the Spratley Islands in the Pacific. Whatever happens there, happens. I also wouldn't push democracy on other countries that don't want and have no idea of what it is.

10. US Conservative

One of my concerns, is unchecked aggression-as we see with China and Russia now. And historically, what happens "there" often gets much worse later. We should be mindful of what we deem tolerated behavior.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the left was against blanket smears?

Guess its ok with cops.

11. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

when we act, they hate us.

when we don't act, they hate us.

12. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

Well, as long as we stay out of Sub Sahara Africa, I see no problems.

The last thing I want see is the entire continent of Africa yelling, "Hands Up...Don't Shoot."

But from post WW ll until the collapse of the Soviet Union the threat was real. And it just wasn't the USA who was on board to stop communist expansion, the Brits were also on board. America had Ronald Reagan and the Brits had Margaret Thatcher.

Today there's a new threat probably more dangerous than communism, Islam. Right now we don't have a leader in the White House and the jihadist expansion is expanding fast, pretty much unchallenged in the past six years.

13. US Conservative

I know its not possible, but just imagine how differen't things would be if Thatcher and Reagan were in office right now confronting terrorism.

Night and day difference to what we have now.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats the price of being a superpower.

14. US Conservative

Thats the cost of being a superpower. Leaders know this well.

15. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

That guy is a bunch of feces. I'm tempted to read his book just to see how such a great steaming pile of poo got an agent.

The UN was NEVER created to keep world peace OR protect human rights. It was, and is, a FORUM, much like here, where countries who were members agree to go and talk before they go to war. It also issues NON BINDING standards as to human rights, basically good sounding pronouncements and that is all they ever were or were meant to be. It was purposely created so as NOT to evolve into a world government of any kind. One of its main stated purposes is to to PROTECT the sovereignty of nations

The rest of his screed is more of the same arguments that the British used to maintain their world Hegemony, and to duck the REAL question.

Of course we SHOULD be the world's policeman, if we CAN, but we CAN"T. It's simply not possible

It will bankrupt us. Maintaining a world Empire has bankrupted every nation that has ever tried it.

That (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*) is right in just one thing. We have no alternative. We must live in a dangerous world as best we can. That means we must allow other nations to have other cultures than ours and do other things, which we may or may not like. Some of those other nations will like that and some may not. Far from not being our concern that is the major problem which must shape our foreign policy, but that must NOT be a policy of military coercion, we simply cannot afford it.

16. lizarddust

lizarddust Well-Known Member

If not, do you think all those trillions spent on the military is wasted?

17. Tram Law

Tram Law Banned

I'm not a leftist, just a realist.

And the have you met most cops is not a valid question, just a red herring.

18. sunnyside

sunnyside Well-Known Member

We can't really afford, monetarily or politically, to be the worlds police. It would be nice if we could build up collaborations that could (barring getting into NWO territory).

As it is I think we have to settle for picking which fires are the most important to put out as the world burns.

That said I think things are much better than they were for previous generations. Our conflicts have been getting less and less deadly since WWII.

19. Aleksander Ulyanov

Of course.

20. Aleksander Ulyanov

That is what the British tried, and even that bankrupted them in the end. That doesn't mean it might not work this time, it only failed because the British really had no faith in it and went with idea of being a military hegemon in the end

21. Lucky13

Lucky13 New Member

Naw.

Let China do it.

22. US Conservative

Calm down. Of course we must live in a dangerous world-theres never been a world that isnt. Im not so naive to think that will change any time soon. But I think there are ways to make things safer, better, more agreeable-economically and via security.

What is this talk about allowing other nations to "have other cultures than ours"? Can you elaborate?

You mention the British...is it because you fear the US is a imperial power?

What are your concerns?

- - - Updated - - -

May I ask-who is the gentleman in your avatar?

23. US Conservative

Realist, eh? Well, lets get real.

How much have you seen/dealt with cops outside of traffic tickets and what you read or hear?

I know and understand them, and more importantly their role in society.

What, do you you think their role is? And how do you think reality measure up?

24. US Conservative

For the moment, Im asking you to be ideological...if cost (in any way) was not an issue-what would you like to see done?

I agree about using inevitably limited resources in the most efficient manner.

And I agree things are better now-in fact I think most (westerners) dont know how bad things can be, and always were. I partially blame the post WW2 western peace on this. I think its an artifact (man caused).

25. US Conservative

Of late, I have been watching Gallipoli-an (I believe) Australian account of that ill fated campaign.

The British were a military hegemon, but were they not other things too? Believe me when I say I understand the resentment of the British (no, not just as an American who is conservative), but did other cultures and the world at least in some way benefit?

- - - Updated - - -

And do you think the world will be better off for it?