Beat Malaria for $1 a Shot

Discussion in 'Science' started by longknife, Jun 18, 2015.

1. longknife

longknife New Member

[​IMG]

If this is true, it's big news. This comes from the article:

What the article – and many others – ignore is that malaria is an insect-borne disease and has a simple way to stop its spread – the use of DDT! It's the best known insect killer in the world.

Read more about the drug @ http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/06/18/new-drug-compound-may-beat-malaria-with-single-1-dose/

2. Moi621

Moi621 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Great.

How are YOU going to feed all the survivors?

U.N. vaccination programs in Africa are well known to have resulted in regional famines.

Moi :oldman:

r > g

View attachment 35821
    Even if they are, Malaria Free

3. longknife

longknife New Member

Please explain to me how vaccinating against diseases causes famines.

4. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

More people eating from the same bag of rice.

5. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

Except the fact is, we can now feed the entire world, and no one should be dying of malnutrition or starvation. The reason we do not do it is because of this thing called ideological beliefs.

I am not sure DDT is the answer, I remember back in the 50s when the local and state gov't had spraying programs of DDT, and it worked out great in killing the insects. This is when you saw the end of even bed bugs in the south. But it also killed cats, dogs, birds, or anything that would eat these things after the ddt killed them. It gets in the food chain.

I wish we could get rid of the fire ants in the south, an invasive specie of ants, that build big mounds, and can literally kill some people. If hell has an ant, it would surely be the fire an. I have fought them on my land for 50 years, to no avail. When you poison them, they just move and build another mound.

6. longknife

longknife New Member

We are constantly coming up with ways to irrigate land with desalinized water with amazing crops that grow quickly and have great nutritional values. So, overpopulation might be envisioned buy Nature always has a way of balancing things.

7. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

All you can do with fire ants is to get them to move. If you have a small lawn (I live on .4 acre), you can keep your yard poisoned enough to move the fireants to your neighbors' yards.

8. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

With the rate aquifers and phosphorus are being depleted, that is not a sustainable solution. They need to feed themselves mostly.

It is biological magnification. It is the same reason so many streams get mercury warnings for the fish. Once and awhile and your body processes it out. Eat too much, and not so much.

Have you tried food grade Diatomaceous earth (DE)? You can get a big bag for like $20 at Tractor supply. They keep it with all the med/supplements. You only want to go with the food grade kind because it is safe for human exposure. You should wear a mask though when dusting with it because of the silica in it you would be breathing. It is safe to eat and it shreds crawling insects over time. They crawl through it and it damages their exoskeletons and they dry up.

9. Moi621

More mouths to feed with no increase in food production.
    Think, please. Really. It happened.
    This was a common cause of famine in Africa courtesy of U.N. Do Goodism.

10. DennisTate

DennisTate Well-Known Member Past Donor

I actually do have an idea on how children born in Africa who would be destined to starve to death under the existing economic conditions……… could be given vastly better lives…… and the whole thing could theoretically be organized from Canada and the USA?!

http://www.politicalforum.com/econo...-north-american-economy-could-organizing.html
    Volunteerism is over twenty percent of North American economy… could organizing it...
    back up…… stabilize…. insure… the value of the USA dollar?

Ithaca, New York has one of the simplest and easily understood measuring instruments for economic activity imaginable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithaca_Hours
    Is it theoretically possible for a group of people to accomplish a much greater organization of volunteerism through a database that would give North America a secondary economy that we could fall back on….. just in case?

11. DennisTate

It took me several days to think this all through but I realize that you are correct about this……. so I quoted you over into this indirectly related discussion:
    http://www.politicalforum.com/showthread.php?t=381946&page=2&p=1065116668#post1065116668

12. longknife

longknife New Member

The intent of the OP was to share news that scientists may have found an effective and inexpensive prevention for malaria, a disease that causes millions of deaths all over the world.

How did it degenerate into a rant about overpopulation and feeding people?

13. DennisTate

Longknife…. you are obviously an exceptionally intelligent person and you live in a free country…….. so if you wish to view this as this as a "degeneration" you are certainly free to do so……….. but…… I have been reading Moi621's posts for some time………… and I know that I know that he is a very good verbal chess player……. He is not merely thinking one or two moves ahead…… he is thinking more like five or ten moves ahead….. .and within a couple of pages you could well be quite impressed with where this discussion goes.

It is pretty obvious that there is a valid connection between saving lives from malaria……. and then attempting to figure out a way to make sure that these same children don't die of starvation in less than a decade after they receive this medicine!

14. Moi621

America aka The West does not think through its' benevolent policies on the Third World.
    The era of hydro electric dam building destroyed regional agriculture as nutrients that fed the land for ages are held back by the dam. Aswan, although not a Western Dam, is a mega example.
    China's 3 Gorges Dam is gonna do the same to Chinese food production.
    But, America certainly did the most dam building for the benefits of electricity, flood control and famine.
    A failure to think it through.

Similarly, vaccinations.
    If a culture thrives with one out of ten children reaching adulthood and
    The benevolent West manipulates "it" so nine out of ten children survive to adulthood -
    what about Food, Housing, Sanitation, Water, etc.
    A failure to think it through, y'see.

BTW I learned this from my parasitology professor at medical school in San Francisco, circa 1970.
    He did lots of U.N. work and had seen what happened as described above are from his lessons.

r > g

DennisTate and (deleted member) like this.
  15. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

Yep, and me and the neighbor have done this for years. LOL. I move em to his property and he moves them back. At least this does keep the mounds small. I once saw a motorcycle accident that the rider slid into a huge mound, surviving the accident but the ants killed him.

16. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Remarkable progress made but more still needs to be done...
    :cool:
    More Needs to Be Done in Fighting Malaria, CDC Chief Says
    September 18, 2015 — The world has made remarkable progress against malaria in the past 10 to 15 years. Deaths have been cut by half. More people are getting treated. And research on an effective vaccine continues. Yet more needs to be done.

17. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Variations in genes protect some African children from developing severe malaria...
    Scientists ID Genes That Protect African Children From Malaria
    September 30, 2015 — Scientists have identified specific genetic variations that protect some African children from developing severe malaria and say their discovery will boost the fight against a disease that kills about half a million children annually.

18. Moi621

U.N. vaccinations programs in Africa have demonstrated;
    Today's lives saved via vaccination are tomorrow's famine victims.

Is that a "Win"?

r > g

View attachment 38267
    Across an immense, unguarded, ethereal border, Canadians, cool and unsympathetic,
    regard our America with envious eyes and slowly and surely draw their plans against us.

19. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

More trials of Malaria vaccine needed...
    More Trials of First Malaria Vaccine Needed
    October 23, 2015 — A World Health Organization advisory group recommends continued clinical trials of a promising malaria vaccine to test its efficacy and safety. Separately, the Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization or SAGE is calling for the replacement of the current oral polio vaccine with another.

20. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Ivermectin may stop malaria transmission...
    :thumbsup:
    Parasitic Illness Drug Could Stop Malaria Transmission
    October 28, 2015: Scientists may have hit on a way to prevent the transmission of malaria with a Nobel Prize-winning drug originally developed to treat parasitic illnesses. The drug is called ivermectin, and it's currently being tested in parts of Africa.

21. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

70% drop in malaria cases in Latin America...
    WHO: Malaria Deaths, Cases Plunge in Latin America
    November 06, 2015 — Across Americas, increased prevention and control of malaria has led to nearly 70 percent drop in cases, from 1.2 million in 2000 to 375,000 in 2014

22. AboveAlpha

AboveAlpha Well-Known Member

Bill Gates and others were able to donate millions of Mosquito Proof Sleeping Nets for people to hang over their beds or sleeping areas in South America and Africa and the nets prevent Mosquitoes and other flying insects from biting or stinging people while they sleep.

This alone has saved MULTIPLE MILLIONS OF LIVES in Tropical and Subtropical areas of the world.

AboveAlpha

23. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member Past Donor

Bit like the 'FEED THE WORLD' shindig. Typical kneejerk and misplaced liberal compassion with no thought given to the consequences. Perhaps Bill Gates and other do-gooders ought to turn their attention to solving the global overpopulation time bomb next?

24. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Genetically modified mosquito to help prevent the spread of malaria...
    Mutant mosquitoes 'resist malaria'
    24 November 2015 - US scientists say they have bred a genetically modified (GM) mosquito that can resist malaria infection.

25. DarkDaimon

DarkDaimon Well-Known Member

Vaccinations are more than just to keep people from dying. How can people plow fields or build roads if they are laid up in bed with Malaria? Plus shouldn't we try wipe out Malaria anyway to protect all of us? Mosquitoes don't know about borders.