Stories of Citizens Shooting Citizens

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Elmer Fudd, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd New Member

But they seldom make the mainstream media since "victims" are armed felons committing crimes up to and including murder.

I think I figured out that Obama and co. are against citizens defending themselves since the liberals coddle criminals and once they are convicted they can no longer vote liberal......:wink:
    Of course the hole in this argument is assuming liberal "voters" follow the voting laws.....as has been proven many times to be not true.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/the-armed-citizen

2. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

Don't let would-be overseas tourists read that lot, it'll frighten the wits out of them and wonder what kind of country you have.

3. OrlandoChuck

OrlandoChuck Well-Known Member

Texas Self-Defense: Houston Home Invasion Defense: Five to the Face :: 06/12/2015

A Houston homeowner fought back against an armed intruder after he tried to enter his home. A couple was visiting the homeowner Friday morning and when they were leaving the home, an armed man tried to enter. The homeowner quickly grabbed his pistol and opened fire on the suspect, shooting him five times in the face . . .

The suspect was transported to Memorial Hermann by Life Flight in critical condition. Here’s where the story takes a turn.

Police chased down the couple, but were only able to arrest the man. As it turns out, the couple were part of the attempted home invasion. Their buddy, now shot in the face, was waiting outside for them to exit the home to stage the invasion.

It didn’t work out too well.

Reminder: Know your company. While it’s tough to always nail this down, it’s important to keep in mind that not everyone is always who they present themselves as.

Another reminder: never let your guard down.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...uston-home-invasion-defense-five-to-the-face/

4. OrlandoChuck

Michigan Self-Defense: Woman fires at home burglars: 'I let loose on them' :: 06/10/2015

Detroit — Five men who broke into Dietta Gueye's east side home early Tuesday morning got more than they bargained for when the 34-year-old woman opened fire at them with the 9 mm Glock she keeps by her bedside.

"They weren't ready for that 9 I had," she chuckled from a lawn chair in front of her house hours after the home invasion.

One of the men shot back and hit Gueye in the right thigh. But after treatment at a local hospital, she said she felt fine.

"I'm kind of just a little sore," she said. "I'm OK, though."

The incident is the second this week in which a woman with a concealed pistol license opened fire on criminals in Detroit. On Monday, a 27-year-old woman shot a 16-year-old would-be carjacker in the arm.

Detroit Police Chief James Craig made national headlines last year when he said "good Americans" with concealed weapons licenses could lower the crime rate, because it would make criminals reluctant to attack them.

Gueye believes the five men who broke into her house Tuesday likely will think twice before doing it again.

"I hope they take this as a lesson," she said. "Beware, because you never know if someone you're trying to hurt is packing."

Gueye said she was asleep Tuesday morning in her home in the 12400 block of Whitehill when she heard a tap at her window. "I didn't know what it was; I thought maybe kids were out playing and hit the window with a rock," she said.

She glanced at the clock: It was 2:37 a.m.

"Then I heard a second tap — then glass shattering," she said. "I pulled back the blinds, and to my surprise there was a man with a gun standing there."

Gueye recalled advice she received years ago, when a tax office she worked at was robbed. "They told me if someone has a gun on you, don't make any quick movements," she said. "So I kind of slid out of bed. That's when he came through the window.

"Luckily, my purse was on top of my gun, and he didn't see me go for it. I reached under the purse and felt the barrel. Then — oh boy! — here come three ... through the window, and two through the other window. Two of them had guns."

The next few seconds were a blur, Gueye said.

"I just let loose on them. I fired four shots and they scattered."

Standing in her bedroom, she weighed whether to go through the doorway toward the living room to investigate. "My instinct told me not to come out of my room," she said. "So I just stood there with the door open."

One of the men who was still in the house fired a single shot, striking her in the right thigh before fleeing.

The only bullet hole found was from the shot that struck Gueye, she said.

"They're telling me that means I probably hit them, since there aren't any other bullet holes in the house," she said.

The intruders were described as five men 18-22 years old, Detroit Police Officer Jennifer Moreno said. "There's no indication that she knew the suspects," she said.

Police said the incident is still under investigation.

Gueye said the men probably thought her house was an easy target because it is next to an empty field, amid several abandoned homes.

"They weren't ready for me to defend myself," she said. "If I didn't have that gun, who knows what would've happened? Torture, beating. There were five of them."

Gueye was taken to St. John Hospital and released hours later.

Someone broke into Gueye's home three years ago, said her fiance, Matthew Greason.

"The first time, we weren't there. (The house) was ramshackled," he said. "That's when I got two dogs."

Greason, 37, lives with his fiancée but was not home when the break-in occurred, he said. Gueye's brother texted him around 4 a.m. with news of the incident.

"She's fine, that's the main thing," he said. "She's OK."

Gueye's mother, Diane Swift, was still emotional nearly 12 hours after the incident.

"It's terrible people have to live like that; violated in their own homes," she said. "That's scary. We're dealing with a different species of people out here."

While her mother expressed fear the men would come back, Gueye shrugged it off.

"Once you've been violated, you'll always think in the back of your mind they might come back," she said. "If they do, I'll be ready for them.

"I've lived here for 51/2 years. They aren't going to scare me out, even though my family is nervous."

Gueye, who survived cancer two years ago, said she got her CPL in 2012 after the first break-in, and also because she owns two businesses, Certified Option Tax Service and Phat Girlz R' Uz, a resale shop for plus-sized women.

"I want to use this to let women know they have to get serious about getting their (concealed pistol license)," she said. "Some men — not all, but some — are hounds.

"Women need to protect themselves. Don't be scared in your own home. That's your territory."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...man-hospital-gunfight-home-invaders/28727561/

5. Galileo

Galileo Well-Known Member

Pro-gun activists sure do rely a lot on cherry picking in order to mislead others. The truth is that criminal gun use is much more common than defensive gun use.

"Washington, DC — Private citizens rarely use guns to kill criminals or stop crimes, a new study from the Violence Policy Center (VPC) finds.

"The study, Firearm Justifiable Homicides and Non-Fatal Self-Defense Gun Use, shows that private citizens are far more likely to use guns to harm others or themselves than to use them to kill in self-defense. The study finds that in 2012, the most recent year for which data is available, there were only 259 justifiable homicides involving a private citizen using a firearm and that 13 states reported zero justifiable firearm homicides that year. That same year, there were 8,342 criminal firearm homicides.

"Comparing these numbers, in 2012 for every justifiable homicide in the United States involving a gun, guns were used in 32 criminal homicides."
    http://vpc.org/press/1506self.htm

6. CircleBird

CircleBird Banned

It's probally safe to bet than accidental gun related deaths are more common than defensive gun use.

But we need our guns incase the US government decides to come kick us off land we have been grazing our cattle on without paying the required fees.

7. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

The vast majority of criminals do not want to shoot anyone, they just want the money.
    In fact many criminals only carry a gun for their own protection, not necessarily to threaten victims if they do not cooperate.

That is why I do not necessarily view armed criminals the same way as those who threaten to murder.

8. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

That only makes you FOOD.

9. OrlandoChuck

First of all your source is the VPC. It is the most anti gun biased group out there. If I used citations by the NRA would you think that they are suspect?
    Next... a slightly more reputable source is the Center For Disease Control. Obama ordered them to do a study on gun violence. Now this didn't get much media coverage because the findings are the opposite of what he was trying to prove.

“Self-defense can be an important crime deterrent,”says a new report by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). The $10 million study was commissioned by President Barack Obama as part of 23 executive orders he signed in January.

“Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was ‘used’ by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies,” the CDC study, entitled “Priorities For Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence,” states.

"The Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council released the results of their research through the CDC last month. Researchers compiled data from previous studies in order to guide future research on gun violence, noting that “almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals"

Your stats on from VPC are misleading.
    They only include "justifiable homicides".
    What about all of the times when the victim shoots the attacker and the attacker does not die?
    What about the times that the victim shoots and misses the attacker therefore ending the threat?
    What about the times that the victim pulls the gun out and the attacker retreats and no shots are fired?
    Where are those stats? Are they not defensive gun uses?

I think I'll believe a 10 million dollar government study over a biased source.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/cdc-study-use-firearms-self-defense-important-crime-deterrent

10. OrlandoChuck

You may not view armed criminals and those who threaten murder, but if an armed criminal points a gun at you.... you better take him serious.

11. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

It is a country where the citizens are in an arms race and the only winners are the armaments industry that is laughing all the way to the bank

- - - Updated - - -

If an armed criminal points ANYTHING at me I will take them seriously however the likelihood of that being a gun outside of America is far far less

12. Bowerbird

Now let's sniff the source and see what we come up with

sniff sniff - "Armed citizen" sniff sniff "protected by smith and western" sniff sniff

Is that the odour of astroturf floating in the breeze? I mean even Exxonmobil when it set up all those Astroturf sites to try and debunk the science of climate change did not put on the top of the site "Buy more oil"

Bias much?

Story 1 - Old man shooting an alleged intruder in Tyler Texas. Now it says alleged for a very good reason - because we only have one persons word that this is what happened. Plus he shot him dead - honestly is someone's life worth as little as a used TV?

Second story - decidedly fishy. Three men walking along when an approaching man pulls a weapon - for NO reason and they shoot him dead. This could not be a case of the group of men hassling that guy who was actually trying to defend himself? Maybe a gang turf war?

The third story is from 1976
    I mean are they so desperate for stories that they had to go back nearly forty years!! And then it is some weird story about someone going armed to a liquor store alarm - sorry but is that not asking for trouble? Did he think he was Superman or Batman or maybe the super vigilante

13. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

Yeah and with people like you they don't need advertising either.

14. OrlandoChuck

Actually even in America it's pretty rare, unless you hang around in inner cities and are up to no good.

15. OrlandoChuck

Any website that compiles stories of gun uses is going to send up red flags as being biased of course. Only a pro 2A source is going to collect these stories. There aren't many good sites that put these all together in one place. If you put in the time and search these stories out, there are many local news sources that report these news stories daily.
    There are a few though, complete with links to the local stories. No one site is comprehensive, I find stories on some sites but not others.
    Here is a pretty good one...
    I'm counting about 60 stories for just this month.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dgu/?count=26&before=t3_3a02ky

16. Galileo

Galileo Well-Known Member

It's misleading to compare survey results about defensive gun use to criminal convictions which is what I think you're doing. A lot of gun crimes may not even be reported to the police and of those that are not all result in a conviction.

17. Turtledude

Turtledude Well-Known Member Donor

I have used a gun for SD several times

the last time, when I was a federal attorney, I saw several "utes" engaged in a classic street crack deal and blocking the road. I honked my horn and one flipped me off and I told him to (*)(*)(*)(*) of the street. they pulled over but the two in the car-the ones who had bought the drugs, followed me all over the place as I engaged in evasive driving. SO I called the local constabulary and told them that

1) I was a fed

2) I was armed

3) I was going to go to a TGIF parking lot that had lots of open areas and an embankment (in case I had to shoot)

4) and what car I was driving.

5) and I was being followed by two Utes who were screaming they were going to "cap my white ass"

I get into the parking lot-park away from buildings open the door and get behind it. The mopes pull up and one gets out and I level a SIG 226 at him and tell him to put his Fing hands on the hood of his car. at that point the local constabulary comes in one side of the Parking lot and the ute jumps in the car and they bail. the cops come over to me, and by time they get rolling they lose the guys. no report of a firearm by me

the one guy I had to shoot--yeah that was reported

the other two times-including a case where I held the mope at gunpoint-never was reported by the cops even though they knew me and knew I had a permit to carry. the report listed the mope was apprehended trying to B&E a residence and the suspect was charged with being Drunk and disorderly and pled out to said D&D

18. Bowerbird

But the point I was making is that these may or may not have been defensive and the second story from that site was most certainly NOT a defensive gun use

19. Xenamnes

Xenamnes Banned

Very few criminals are ever convicted of firearm-related offenses. In nearly every single case that goes to trial, firearm-related charges are dropped as part of a plea deal to expedite a conviction.

20. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd New Member

Your attempt at "logic" pre-supposes that gun control would take guns away from citizens AND all criminals, does it not? That whatever type of magic gun control you would em-place would eliminate all 1+32=33 deaths. If you really believe that I have some swampland for you......

21. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd New Member

I find it amusing that there are posters here from Australia criticizing the USA and pushing gun bans when their nation's own experience with a huge gun control/buyback program was pretty much a wash. Proponents like to point to a decrease in GUN homicides, and GUN robberies, etc., but the actual TOTAL homicide rate didn't change (guess that swapped to clubs - eeeeck), and TOTAL armed robbery went UP (criminals kept their guns...shock !).

To most liberals gun control is the same as global warming control, they don't give a crap about science or the facts and figures, they just want CONTROL of the people. That is what we came to America to get rid of......

22. OrlandoChuck

My point is that I find many many stories of defensive gun uses everyday. Approximately 60 of them in the past 3 weeks that are compiled on this one website. Other websites have many that are not on this website. There are many many more on local new sites as well. Also, many defensive gun uses go unreported, especially if shots are not fired.
    Bottom line is that no one can honestly say that DGU's are rare.

23. Greataxe

Greataxe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Your biased study from a biased group assumes that every time a gun was used to confront a criminal it was fired and killed the criminal.

The study did not take into account the vast majority of the time when a person shows a gun to stop the crime, or when they fire it just to scare off the criminal, or when they more often than not, wound the thugs instead of kill them.

The study also didn't cover the percentage of times a police officer pulled his gun detain the suspect instead of shoot them.

I think the Flat Earthers use better studies than the VPC.

BTW, do you think the earth is flat?

24. Bowerbird

Which underscores what Galileo says - that gun related crimes are under reported

25. Bowerbird

And most of those when examined are NOT DGU's they are offensive gun uses. This is what was found when some of the so called Defensive gun use reports were shown to judges

http://www.armedwithreason.com/debunking-the-defensive-gun-use-myth/

Now how many firearm homicides are there per year in America?