Why arent black americans identified with their heritage?

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by The Amazing Sam's Ego, Jun 22, 2015.

1. The Amazing Sam's Ego

The Amazing Sam's Ego Banned at Members Request

Most African-Americans just call themselves black, and even when they do call themselves African-American, they never refer to themselves as being African (with the exception of the few african americans who descend from immigrantrs rather than slaves). People never say "kanye west/jay z is an african singer", they say he's an "african-american" singer. People dont say, "he's part this, part african", they say, "hes part hispanic, part black".

No other ethnic group always hyphenates their name, or is identified (when referring to place of origin) by an always hyphenated name. Chinese Americans sometimes just call themselves Chinese, , Irish Americans often call themselves just Irish, same with Mexicans and Italians, etc. So why arent black Americans considered (or consider themselves) Africans? Why is it always hypenathed to just "african american"?

I'm not trying to speak for other ethnic groups, but its almost like where their ancestors came from, their heritage and place of origin, means little-nothing to them, compared to other ethic groups.

With the exception of the Gullahs and recent immigrants, americans of African descent did lose their original cultural traditions and names because of slavery, and thus most blacks arent culturally African, but there are millions of other Americans who had the same happen to them (for assimilaton reasons, not slavery), and their ethnicity isnt always hyphenated. They say theyre Greek and not neccesarily "Greek American", for example.

Many American people have never been to where their ancestors are from (I know French Americans who have never been to France, Italian Americans who have never been to Italy, hispanic americans who have never been to mexico or south america, etc), dont speak the language of their heritage, know little-nothing of their culture, customs, and traditions, and still dont always have their heritage hypentated.

I dont have much "Italian-ness". I'm not fluent and I dont practice Italian culture or traditions, but that makes me no less of an italian. I know a somebody who told me because I'm culturally only American, I'm just an "Italian-American" and not the same as a real italian-IOW, I'm not only "italian-american", im not Italian. But what he said doesnt make sense. Most people wouldnt agree with him too.

If I went to Italy, and I have many times, while I would first and foremost be an Italian American, but I'm still an Italian. Being Americanized doesnt make me not Italian.

2. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

Africa is a continent. Europe is a continent. America is a continent. If you're a white American you are probably a European-American. If you're a native American then you're American-American.

If you have Italian heritage you're an Italian-American.

Problem for many African-Americans, I would think, is that they are not sure where their ancestors came from in Africa. And in any case most of the African countries we know are creations of European colonisation so it's a moot point. Perhaps African-American is a reasonable accommodation?

3. Rafichi

Rafichi New Member

Maybe I'm wrong but i think that Africa doesn't have one culture, with which black Americans could identify. However it may be not as visible as in Europe and its countries. It was said above surely most of them don't know where they ancestors have lived therefore it constitutes a different problem than that with Italians or Mexicans and their cultures.

4. The Amazing Sam's Ego

But how does that make them only African American?

5. The Amazing Sam's Ego

What makes you think that? Most blacks in Virginia and Maryland descend from Nigeria's Igbo tribe-which still exists today (techically distant relatives.)

6. E_Pluribus_Venom

E_Pluribus_Venom Well-Known Member

Because ancestry.com laughs at me when I make an inquiry. Something about heritage being difficult to look up when those that came before weren't exactly recorded like human beings.

7. Esau

Esau Well-Known Member

makes one wonder if they specifically didnt want you to know.

8. The Amazing Sam's Ego

How does not knowing the exact country your ancestors came from mean black Americans arent Africans? I know a Jamaican girl who said the same exact thing. That's like saying I'm just an Italian-American and not an Italian because I dont know the specific regions of Italy where my family is from.

9. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

To answer your question: The reason Blacks usually don't refer to themselves as Africans is because Africa is a continent, not a country. Due to slavery, Blacks don't know what country in Africa their ancestors originated from. So, they just use short hand and call themselves African-American. Hope this clears it up for you.:angel:

10. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

Italy is one country. Not a continent. You are fortunate enough to know your ancestors country of origin. Most Blacks in America do not.Consider yourself blessed.

- - - Updated - - -

Which tribe am I from?

11. The Amazing Sam's Ego

How come some blacks, like John Brown (the slave-not abolitionist) Paul Robeson, George Lewis, did know what culture and country in Africa they came from? They didnt descend from African immigrants or do DNA tests, yet the first two knew they were Nigerian Igbos (same ancestry as many africans who moved here), and George Lewis was Senegalese.

12. The Amazing Sam's Ego

1-How does not knowing the specific part of Africa you came from mean you are just an "african american" and not an African? A few of my friends said that, not just the Jamaican girl, but also the boy I know whose family moved here from Nigeria. That sounds similar to what another friend of mine said-im italian american and not a real "italian" because I dont know where in Italy my family is from.

2-Would you ever do a DNA test to figure that out? It would be pretty cool to know which present day people you are distant relatives of. Many of the people brought here during slavery came from cultures that still exist today.

13. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

That's a good start!

14. Coolia

Coolia New Member

I'm Mexican American and have to say that courtesy of liberals who have let in tens of millions of illegal aliens into the country, so I say that to distinguish myself from someone who is not American and from Mexico. I don't use a hyphen though.

Even though it's obvious that I'm an American, if someone asks, like say on a message board, I usually say I'm an American of Mexican ancestry or heritage.

15. The Amazing Sam's Ego

A good start for what? Elaborate. I dont get what youre saying/

16. The Amazing Sam's Ego

How exactly did slavery cause black Americans to loose information about their roots and ancestry?

17. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

No records of such things were kept, and the slaves were actively forbidden to keep even oral records. They did have their memories but most people anywhere lose these quickly if no records exist. Do you know who your great grandfather was?

18. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

1.) If I knew I was from Nigeria I could say I'm a Nigerian-American. But, I don't know that. So I can't honestly say that.
    2.) I am not currently interested in doing a DNA test. I hear those tests are expensive. Maybe some day I will do a test.

19. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

During slavery it was necessary for the slave masters to dehumanize their slaves as much as possible. The slaves had to learn to think of themselves only as property. They were not allowed to have any history, to keep their real names or know their places of origins. Sounds pretty cruel doesn't it? Do you see why I say you are blessed to know your personal history?

20. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

The Blacks who knew their ancestry were very rare. Must have been handed down to them thru oral tradition, like Alex Haley's family did in "Roots". Problem was, most slave families didn't remain intact enough to pass along this knowledge. Slave families were sold away from each other on a regular basis.

21. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

Writing about the conditions of slavery makes me very sad. I had ancestors who were slaves in Mississippi. It is painful to even think of what they must have went thru. So---I may not be coming back to this thread. Thank you for allowing me to try to answer your question though. Hope I was able to help you understand why Black Americans are not identified with their heritage.:smile: Have a nice day.

22. The Amazing Sam's Ego

Doesnt this mean you are technically most likely Nigerian American?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_American

23. The Amazing Sam's Ego

How does that (and suppression of African culture) make black Americans only African-Americans and not Africans? I dont see how not knowing which country in Africa you came from, and not having their culture, takes away the fact that black Americans are technically African. How is what youre saying different from my friend telling me I'm only "Italian American" and not "Italian", just because I dont practice or know their culture?

24. Esau

Esau Well-Known Member

Maybe they were just passing through Africa at the time