Politcal rhetoric: How has it changed?

Discussion in 'Political Science' started by Anabasis, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Anabasis

Anabasis New Member

Rhetoric is nothing new, in fact I would argue it's superiority in ancient times, I would like to start a discussion about how the use of rhetoric in politics has changed. One example being the introduction of mass media, maybe change in use of rhetorical syllogisms? Perhaps the modernity of rhetoric, the old compared to the new, so on.

2. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think the one most obvious and pervasive difference is how rhetoric is disseminated today with almost instantaneous communication. In this environment, rhetoric, memes etc. can actually become a substitute for actual fact which can ruin political reputations.

3. Xanadu

Xanadu New Member

Politics via newspapers and later via all media is the new rhetoric over the last hundred years. It is more superior than in ancient historical times because more wide spread in society and continuesly. It's the intensity. Without communicating with society they cannot change it emotionally and organize it. So if a society would stop listening to political rethoric emotions would slowly drop.