A rationalist point of view on gay marriage

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by jmblt2000, Jun 30, 2015.

1. jmblt2000

jmblt2000 Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with gay marriage...As I said in my introduction, I'm not Christian...I am of the Nations.

So here is my view: I don't have a problem with gay marriage...I will probably be attending my daughter's soon enough. And for you Christians out there that believe God has a plan for everyone and everything...How do you know this is not part of God's plan? Could this be a way for God. Mother Nature, Yahweh, aliens, etc...; to say that we have enough people on Earth and this is simple population control.

Do I have a problem with gays adopting children, NO!!! There are plenty of kids out there that don't have parents, or at least good parents, that could use a family that would love and raise them. Two moms or two dads is better than none...And I would rather see these children being adopted than aborted...Or living in an orphanage...or shunted from foster family to foster family.

As I have said in another post...It doesn't affect me, so why get so upset about someone else's business!!!

2. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

This is the crux of the issue right there!
    You do not have an issue with it, but majority of religious people do especially when they will be forced to participate in providing services and accept gay marriage legally. This is where it goes beyond someone else's business.

3. jmblt2000

The First Amendment guarantees that no church will be forced to do this...Freedom of Religion...The Supreme Court ruling deal with government marriage licenses not religious ceremonies. And if you are religious and object, then I suggest you not work for the government.

4. dixon76710

dixon76710 Well-Known Member

First amendment rights belong to the individual, not the church. Preachers who offer to officiate at weddings for a fee have already been fined for not doing so. Weve already seen that the statutory right to not be discriminated against on the basis of sexual orientation, which is simply presumed if the one discriminated against is homosexual, easily trumps the constitutional right to the free exercise of religion.

5. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

no one will force a church to do gay weddings.

no one will force you to invite Gays to your house.

no one will force you to have Gay friends.

6. kgeiger002

kgeiger002 Active Member Past Donor

Try to understand....not everybody is on the same page as you. All I can ask from you (as well as your like minded group) is not to be "Bigots." Please.

7. FearandLoathing

FearandLoathing Well-Known Member

Good post...but I was unaware that Christians were the only ones opposed. It seems to me your huge Islamic population has issues too, and I personally know a few atheists who are really anti-gay.

So, good point, but you could learn to disguise your hate for Christians a bit

8. jmblt2000

I don't hate Christians, never in any of my posts have I suggested hate for anything except stupidity...And we all have those moments. I have actually been to and worked in several Islamic countries...I find that most believe that their religion is also outdated...Most people I have found in this world are basically good, they are just trying to get by and survive...I believe that if everyone minded their own, the world would be better off.

9. BestViewedWithCable

BestViewedWithCable Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bet on that.....

10. Oxymoron

They will force even religious employers to give "married" gay couples insurance for example. To name one example.

11. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

a church is not a business.

12. Oxymoron

Again it will force religious employers to provide insurance to gay couples, something that is directly against their religious beliefs. This is why people care about this issue, its not about someones private sexual preference, it is about forcing someone to ignore their religious beliefs.

13. iJoeTime

iJoeTime Banned

Apparently being anti-gay is the only teaching in the bible hypocrite Christians actually follow.

14. AlpinLuke

AlpinLuke Well-Known Member

It depends on how in your country people consider what a "marriage" is. In Italy, our traditional background carries us to think that a marriage is the union [with the purpose to build a family] made by two persons of different gender. In fact here about "gay unions" we talk about "civil unions" not marriages.

15. stanfan

stanfan New Member Past Donor

It doesn't affect me either, and I think that the U.S. Supreme Court just blew all the cobwebs of controversy regarding the gay / lesbian community out the window with their ruling. Marriage - fine; adoption - fine; America can use the energy these people put into receiving equal and marriage right's for their private lives into something useful. I applaud the court for doing so, and think America will be the winner in the long-term regarding gay right's and marriage..........

16. stanfan

Straw man argument - there is no ISSUE, the U.S. Supreme Court just settled it for all time. What's the problem?..........

17. Reality

Reality Well-Known Member

Preachers? No. Commercial wedding venues? (ie just a quicky wedding chapel, not a church) yes.
    If you have individual PREACHERS you show me. What I've seen is a wedding venue.

18. stanfan

They going to force you to bake a wedding cake also? LOL, what a weak argument. If you work for an insurance company, nobody cares what particular religion you happen to be - matter of fact, I have never seen an insurance policy, whether life or auto, that requested a religious affiliation. The U.S. Passport office does not require American's to list their religion on a passport either. The most powerful religious figure in the world, the Roman Catholic Pontiff, has issued instructions that gays should be treated with respect and dignity and may attend services in the Church of Rome. If the guy at the counter of the state run DMV is anti-gay, you figure he shouldn't be forced to take your driver's license renewal photograph? You are just throwing (*)(*)(*)(*)e into the game here, hoping you hit a target. The Supreme Court ruling is gong to end more controversies than it ever creates, News flash - there are gay/lesbian people in the American population, they actually could be riding a bus you are on, or an airplane or train - good grief - what a tragedy..........

19. GeorgiaAmy

GeorgiaAmy Well-Known Member

Lol, you really think a church isn't a business?
    You do know they generate lots of money and have a lot of political influence, right?

20. WestFork

WestFork Well-Known Member

"Them" again.

21. smb

smb Well-Known Member

That is not completely true. While two minister's were warned they would be fined it wasn't because they would not perform SSM as christian ministers. It is because they own a for profit business that is a wedding a chapel. As owners of a for profit business with a business license they are obligated to give public accommodation. They do not HAVE to do this. They can remove their business license and register their chapel as religious non-profit organisation and then they would be exempt from having to perform SSM. If they want to operate a for profit business as a wedding chapel and have a State business license then they have to abide by the law and perform all weddings.

22. dixon76710

dixon76710 Well-Known Member

A wedding chapel where they perform the ceremonies. Not sure what you think isnt true.

23. smb

smb Well-Known Member

It isn't true that as Christian ministers they are being forced to do anything. They are required by law if they run a State licensed for profit business to abide by the law. This means providing public accommodation which means their BUSINESS cannot discriminate. If they do not want to perform SSM then all they have to do is suspend their business license and register their chapel as a religious non-profit. Saying that they are being fined because they won't perform SSM because they are Christian is misleading. The State will not force them to do anything as Christians. The State can and does enforce public accommodations for business open to the general public and/or performing services (not religious services but services in general). To allow them a State licensed business to be able to discriminate again Gays would mean that all businesses in the State would be able to that.

24. Jeannette

Jeannette Well-Known Member Past Donor

First of all I have nothing against gays, I see them as victims of a very sick society. Not victimized by the society because they are gay, but victimized by the society in having turned them into gays.

My grandchildren lived in a very secular area, and considering what they were exposed to and the pressure they were under at a very vulnerable age, they might have become gay...had it not for the protective shield of my prayers, as well as those of their parents.

I grew up in an age when there were unmarried men, and they were not gay...or their friends would have known about, and I definitely would have known about it. I was quite attractive. Today many are made to believe gays were in the closet in the past... but they were not. It's just that something of that nature would never enter their minds. As an example, I recall reading the official biography of Lawrence of Arabia, which contemporary society likes to think of as being gay because he was unmarried, but his best friend said that he would have been repulsed at the very thought, and that it was a different day and age. Homosexuality was so abhorrent that it wouldn't enter someone's mind..

Today the opposite holds true, it is pushed into young people's minds by our schools, our movies, internet and TV. This is why Christians are so adamantly opposed to homosexuality becoming an acceptable mode of life. It's not that they want to punish gays for having been victimized by the society they live in, it's to change the society to keep others from becoming victims.

25. Jonsa

Jonsa Well-Known Member Past Donor

yes its called EQUAL RIGHTS for ALL citizens.