Genisys

Discussion in 'Music, TV, Movies & other Media' started by Durandal, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

Dumbest "Terminator" movie yet.

Discuss.

2. Nullity

Nullity Active Member

Really?

I have not gotten a chance to see it yet, however, I have a hard time believing it's any worse than Rise of the Machines, which I feel has been, by far, the weakest of the series. Even Terminator Salvation was better than that steaming pile.

Although, it seems like they revealed way too much in the trailers. I'm sure you know what I'm referring to. I won't go into details just in case there are some who haven't seen them and don't want it spoiled.

3. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

No way was it worse than "Salvation". I don't even consider that one to be a real Terminator movie.

I enjoyed it, but then again, I really liked the 3rd movie in the franchise while everybody else was hating it. I never understood why it got such a bad wrap. I'd rank this one in the #4 spot, behind the first 3 films, but above the 4th.

Kind of sad to see every Arnold film underperforming in the box office and getting terrible reviews since his comeback.

4. tkolter

tkolter Well-Known Member

Thankfully I watched it as a stream from a web site for free, its not that good, and going to the movies is expensive for me at nearly $9 a ticket, so I rarely go out to a movie. I did for Jurassic World and will for the new Star Wars movie but seriously instead of big bucks go for lower cost movies with good plots and seriously good acting, get them out there cheaper maybe even bypassing the movie theaters for services like Hulu and Netflix or affordable DVD releases. Its time they rethink if this is their best maybe its not good enough.

The only thing I enjoyed about the movie is the fighting scenes but the rest- blah. Average at best and the story was a bit confusing.

5. Durandal

Yeah, I found the plot to be very strange. I think that and their continued meddling with the timeline is what urged me to call it the worst yet, though I also haven't paid a whole lot of attention to any of the sequels beyond Rise of the Machines, which was at least a straightforward if silly Terminator flick.

For the record, though, I hate every sequel. Not a one has gotten it "right," because every single one has sent newer, stranger machines into the past to repeat the basic plot of the original film with different characters, all the while trying to mess with how events would turn out in the future. The first film did time travel right, by having the time travelers fulfill rather than alter history in spite of their intentions. That's the smart way, the 12 Monkeys way, to handle time travel. I love it!

This movie, like every other starting with T2, handles time travel the idiotic way that Back to the Future did. That by itself doesn't make a movie bad, obviously. Also for the record, I love Back to the Future as much as the next homo sapien. But these sequels have only managed to create less and less believable "terminators" and ever muckier, confused plotlines that scream out for them to STOP TRYING!

The only sequel(s) I'd really like to see would be something depicting how exactly events unfolded after "judgment day" and how John Connor came to lead humanity to eventual victory over Skynet. It would be a war flick, but set in the dark future as seen in the future war scenes in the first film. It would offer a great story and character development arc for a good writer and director to work with.

6. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

I think all movies after the first 2 do not comprehend the meaning or feel of those movies. The first two had philosophy, emotion, action, feeling, the rest were by the book Hollywood bull(*)(*)(*)(*). 3rd one was like a Rom Com, the 4th was pure drek, I want to see how they (*)(*)(*)(*)ed up this last one.

7. Durandal

I don't blame you for wanting to see. I just recommend against paying money to do so :D

8. Nullity

Nullity Active Member

I understand what you're saying with the time travel, however, I'm surprised you didn't seem to like T2. It is widely regarded as one of the few instances where the sequel was as good or better than the original, and I would agree. Personally, I don't really recognize any of them after the first two :razz: - just like there are only 3 Star Wars movies, 2 Alien movies, 3 Indiana Jones', etc.

9. Durandal

I appreciate T2 as a dumb action flick, but T1 had good action plus cleverer writing and better casting and acting, etc. The first was so good that it inspired a sequel and a number of licensed computer, console and arcade games nearly a decade later :D T2 is a fun little romp, but surely not that level of awesome.

10. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

So you don't want to pay $9.00 for a movie ticket so you illegally download the movie for free, which is a crime that can cost you up to $30,000 for breaking copyright law.

Smart.

- - - Updated - - -

Terminator 2 was vastly superior to the original, in my opinion. One of the few examples I can point to where the sequel was better.

- - - Updated - - -

Your opinion seems to be at odds with the majority of film critics, who consistently rank T2 higher than its predecessor.

11. Durandal

I don't know what the critics like more about it. On the surface I would obviously disagree with them. Further, I don't usually let majority opinion decide my own opinions. I suspect the critics you cite look more at how well it follows film-making formulas and how well it entertains a general audience more than at the logic and consistency of the plot. I take issue with the antagonist terminator, the T-1000, for being an unrealistic blob of metal, for being something that should not have even been able to get through the time portal in the first place since it is NOT composed of any living tissue no matter how well it may imitate that, and for being very stupid in its efforts to terminate John Connor when the time comes. I don't care if it looks impressive on the silver screen if it doesn't work as a believable villain in the first place. And you've already seen how I regard the film's approach to time travel - again, that's not something the critics are going to attack the way I do, because it's a critic's job to analyse the film in the more technical aspects of actual film-making than in terms of how much sense the plot makes. A critic would say it's a well-paced movie, etc. I would agree with that; as I've said previously, it's a fine action flick. It's entertaining. But the characters and plot do not impress me much at all, and that's where I feel it falls very short of the original, which is downright poetic in how it handles time travel and how well it crafts the characters and the story. Everything in the original makes sense and flows as realistically as it can considering the subject matter. It takes a pretty outlandish idea and makes it believable, and artistically gritty and realistic as well.

T2 doesn't compare in this respect. It's good action, but not good drama, and there is much about it that takes me out of the story and makes me call bull(*)(*)(*)(*).

12. SpaceCricket79

SpaceCricket79 New Member Past Donor

I didn't have hopes for this movie, and the poor reviews don't suprise me.

The trailer looked bland with an overuse of CGI effects, cliched references to the original films, and over-the-top action scenes. And the actress who played Sarah Conner was awful, nothing like Linda Hamilton - she looked and sounded like she belonged in some CW teen drama, not in a Terminator film.

Even having not seen this dreck yet, the plot makes absolutely no sense - for example the plot has the T-800 terminator somehow building a time machine in present day Los Angeles? Seriously?

13. Nullity

Nullity Active Member

I finally got to see this. I'm almost hesitant to admit, I quite enjoyed it. No, it wasn't nearly as good as the first two, but compared to the others, it's a bloody masterpiece. I don't expect it to win any awards or anything, but it was fun and entertaining. I'm a sucker for time travel stories, and I liked how it revisited many of those themes, though with new twists. I also liked how this was framed almost as a (sort of) sequel to T2, basically ignoring the abysmal T3 and Salvation.

I really wish the trailers wouldn't have ruined the big twist with John Connor (seriously, wtf were they thinking), it would have been nice if Matt Smith's "character" could have had a bit bigger role, and there are still several big questions left unanswered (planning for sequels maybe?), but overall, I enjoyed it.

I'm interested to see where the story goes next, but with the general low impression of the movie, the future is not set (see what I did there? :) ).

14. JoeSixpack

JoeSixpack New Member

Sabotage was his best new movie in comparison to any of the rest, and could have become a classic, but the original script was tossed, it was totally butchered by the studio after the final cut, and the ending that made the most sense and tied up all the loose ends was cut completely out of the film. It was/is as if they sabotaged it on purpose. Total flop at the box office, $35,000,000.00 budget, and just over $17,000,000.00 world wide in the limited theaters it was played in.