Tired of hearing people bash the US over gun violence

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by jmblt2000, Jul 4, 2015.

1. jmblt2000

jmblt2000 Well-Known Member

Anyone who says that the US is the most violent country in the world is delusional. May I suggest you move to Nigeria where Boko Haram just killed more than 100 unarmed civilians (est. 145 to 200) in three villages in northern Nigeria. How many people have the IS killed?

This type of incident would not happen in the US. The citizens of this country would fight back...We are not sheep that calmly go to the slaughter...Yes this country has its problems...Corrupt politicians (most of them), institutionalized racism, an us vs. them mentality...

No one country is perfect, nobody is perfect...But guns are not the major problem in this country, politicians that want to take them away so that they can rule this country instead of serve its people is. The media partners of these elitist try to insist that the US has more mass shootings than any other country...Guess these type of incidents don't count.

2. Daniel Light

Daniel Light Well-Known Member

While I support the right to privately own guns, comparing the US to Nigeria and with a proud puffing of your chest declaring, "Well, at least we're better than that," is hardly the argument I would put forward as a positive one in support of gun rights ...

Just say'n.

3. Colonel K

Colonel K Well-Known Member

Guns in America kill 80 people a day, every day, 30,000 a year, every year. Yes, you have a problem. Ten 911's every year.

4. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

USA has one of the highest murder rates in the industrialized world.

5. Capitalism

Capitalism Well-Known Member Past Donor

Don't allow their ignorance to get you down, countries with the strictest gun laws have higher violent crime rates than the US. Example- Great Britain

Then we take a peak at Mexico and boy are those gun laws awesome. 47 headless, armless, and legless torsos dropped on the highway this month? Damn. Who would've thunk it.

6. Capitalism

Do I need to fact check you off another thread about violence?

Because your country is the crime capital of Europe and those rates are doing nothing but climbing.

I will link you to our previous debate for the references. Stop trying to spoil minds with baseless claims.

7. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

At least Russia beats us x2.

8. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think most people who make that statement, do so in the context of 'first world' or 'industrialized' nations. *shrug* This argument is like a college graduate saying folks can't criticize his behavior because he has better self control than the five year old down the block.

9. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

Who is trying to disarm America? Well, a scant few of liberal social anarchists, but that is about it. There is not a major threat to the2nd Amendment. I know that when Obama was elected, he bought guns he never would have bought, to add to his sizable collection, and really loaded up on the ammo when he heard Obama was gonna go after the ammo, for if you could not find ammo, your gun would just be a club. I don't think he has lost a single gun in his collection.

Being an FDR real deal liberal, of course I value my guns, although being so old I no longer hunt. But if there was some way we could set up a system that could track anyone who is having mental issues, like people on these new anti depression drugs, or anyone who seeks psychological help, or who's parents seek it for them, and tie that in with the verification process of buying a gun, that just might limit some of the loony tunes mass killings that we see far too often these days.

Recently my 14 year old grandson became extremely depressed to the point my daughter and her husband took him to see a psychologist to get him help. He was put on one of these new drugs, that can cause suicidal behavior. My son in law being a hunter with his 4 children also owning guns for hunting, created a situation where their house is full of hunting guns. The first thing my son in law did, was to remove all of these guns from their house, and taking them to another safe location. Just in case. Thankfully my grandson could not handle the meds, and he exhibited some suicidal talk, and my daughter pulled him off the meds after a month. His depression went away, and hasn't bothered him since that time. So, if we could get parents to be attentive and responsible that would help somewhat as well.

10. Xenamnes

Xenamnes Banned

At least half of all firearm-related deaths are suicides. As many of eighty percent of all firearm-related homicides are directly connected to criminal gang members who do not have legal access to firearms.

11. Colonel K

Arrant nonsense much repeated is still a propaganda lie. You are 49 times more likely to be shot to death in America than you are in Britain.
    To equate a bout of fisticuffs in a drunken brawl with being shot is a nonsense. Yet you repeat it as fact......

12. Colonel K

They're still dead by the gun. There's no changing your mind when a suicidal impulse strikes if there's a gun handy. You're gone, just another tragic statistic to be handwaved away by gun nuts.

13. Capitalism

Yeah because what's the violent crime rate in GB? I'm waiting.

You know the answer and it's why you stopped replying to our previous debate.

Murders in your country are not even labeled as murders unless they get a conviction.

14. OrlandoChuck

OrlandoChuck Well-Known Member

Only if you live in an urban city area and you are a gang banger or drug dealer.

15. whatukno

whatukno New Member

More people than that are killed by guns in the US every single day.

This kind of incident DOES happen in the US with alarming frequency. Let me guess, your hearing shuts off when you hear the words mass shooting?

Well, I'm perfect, but that's cause I'm freaking awesome. But yes, guns are a major problem in this country, and there aren't that many politicians that want to completely ban guns, it's not an either or debate, it's a what steps can we take to curb this crap debate.

We could start simply, by actually enforcing the laws that are already on the books, that might be a good start, might get some guns out of the hands of crazy people who have no business having guns in the first place. Another option is to require background checks for private sales. That's something that isn't being done that could curb gun violence.

I know, I know, mass shooters are just "Exercising their 2nd Amendment rights to keep and bear arms" And all those mass shootings were just "preemptive self defense", the sane disagree with these statements, and thinks that maybe nutty mcnutterson shouldn't stop taking his meds and then go on a room by room reenactment of the video game DOOM.

16. OrlandoChuck

OrlandoChuck Well-Known Member

Please explain how private sale mandatory background checks can be enforced.

17. vman12

vman12 Well-Known Member Past Donor

How so? You simply cannot compare one facet of a country without taking into consideration all facets of said country.

Perhaps one of the reasons these other countries are simply dismissed as "well, thats 3rd world, what do you expect", maybe you should look at the countries with the highest murder rates also having some of the lowest private gun ownership per capita. These countries are dominated by the wolves who have guns, and the sheeple who are unable to defend themselves.

18. Taxpayer

Agreed. It only makes sense to compare similarly situated countries. Nigeria and the U.S. are not.

19. vman12

True. It would be more appropriate to compare Chicago to Nigeria. What was I thinking.

20. Taxpayer

That Chicago is a country?

21. vman12

No, that it's 3rd world.

22. Taxpayer

Pretty sure Chicago is aligned with the United States.

23. vman12

Don't take my word for it, go see for yourself.

24. Taxpayer

ok

25. jmblt2000

jmblt2000 Well-Known Member

Here's the problem with that statistic you quoted...They lump murders (gun violence) with police interventions (police shooting criminals) and suicides (people killing themselves)...To date this year, there have been less than 6000 murders...To date there have been over 500000 abortions (so much for it being for the children), over 50000 deaths due to physicians mistakes (conjecture, based off CDC statistics of 2013, 119000 people killed this way) do you know that gun violence is not even in the top 25 of leading causes of death in the US...according to the CDC.