Gender confusion a symptom of borderline personality disorder

Discussion in 'Gay & Lesbian Rights' started by SpaceCricket79, Jul 14, 2015.

1. SpaceCricket79

SpaceCricket79 New Member Past Donor

As you can see here, gender identity confusion is also a symptom of other mental disorders, such as BPD - and not exclusive to transgenders.

A parent or shrink therefore who decides that because a prepubescent wants to wear a dress, that he must be "transgendered" and should be subjected to hormone therapy is therefore taking a great risk and potentially damaging the kid for life, since not everyone who suffers from gender confusion is a true transgender. (Transvestism for example is another psychological disorder in which people get satisfaction from dressing as the opposite sex, but are not actually transgendered).

http://www.psychologistanywhereanyt...gists/psychologist_borderline_personality.htm

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a disorder characterized primarily by emotional dysregulation, extreme "black and white" thinking (believing that something is one of only two possible things, and ignoring any possible "in-betweens"), and turbulent relationships. It is also characterized by pervasive instability in mood, interpersonal relationships, self-image, identity, and behavior, and a disturbance in the individual's sense of self.

People diagnosed with borderline personality disorder live in a world of inner and outer turmoil. They have difficulty regulating their emotions and are often in a state of upheaval. They have distorted images of themselves, often feeling worthless and fundamentally bad or damaged. And while they yearn for loving relationships, people with borderline personality disorder typically find that their anger, impulsivity, stormy attachments and frequent mood swings push others away. The disturbances suffered by those with borderline personality disorder have a wide-ranging and pervasive negative impact on many or all of the psychosocial facets of life, including employability and relationships in work, home and social settings. Furthermore, borderline personality disorder may be marginalized by society due to their moods and behaviors.

People with borderline personality disorder have unstable relationships, highly reactive and intense moods, and impulsive behavior. Sometimes they harm themselves (for example, cutting or burning) as a form of self-punishment or to combat a numb feeling. At those times, suicide is not the goal although persons with borderline personality disorder have a high suicide rate.

2. CausalityBreakdown

CausalityBreakdown Banned at Members Request

This was drastically less transphobic than I expected from the title.

3. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

transgender thinking hasa NOTHING to do with BPD, as BPD is simply as form of depression.

4. Flintc

Flintc New Member

Sounds vaguely familiar. I could probably name a dozen contributors to this forum whom that description fits with eerie perfection...

5. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

Doesn't sound like transgenders have this problem. Sounds more like what happens with someone with extreme dsyphoria. But then again a non medical person making medical claims seems a bit strange to me. I think I'll let the experts rule on this one.

6. MaiNutz

MaiNutz New Member

I might get an infraction for this,not sure why;probably "PC" stuff.
    But umm..My friend's mom is a "fahg hag" and 3 out of 5 of her "wanna be a woman" friends (that I know of) committed suicide.
    I knew 1 of them pretty good, another so-so..not the other one..she was always talking about..him though.Never knew the other 2,just pictures. :???:

7. SpaceCricket79

Gender confusion is a symptom of BPD - meaning some people may easily have been mis-diagnosed as transgender when they had a disorder which could've been treated just with medication, not genital removal

8. Flintc

Flintc New Member

??? I didn't know hormone treatments removed the genitals. Who knew?

9. SpaceCricket79

Hormone treatment on a falsely diagnosed kid who doesn't need it?

Sounds like something Dr. Frankenstein would be proud of

10. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

Transgenderism is just another form of insanity. We put people in the asylum for thinking they are Jesus. Yet the MSN makes heroes of the so called transgender and give them operations and hormones. Go figure.

11. Flintc

Flintc New Member

??? I guess I really didn't read carefully enough. I saw nothing that indicated the diagnosis was false, and nothing saying the kid didn't need it. Where did you read that information? Do you have a link, or did you perform a qualified examination in person?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I would hate to see treatment or failure to treat based on make-believe claims.

12. Flintc

Flintc New Member

Instead, go read. It's not a mental disorder, it's a biological condition. Transgenders don't think they can fly, don't think they're Napoleon. There is nothing organically wrong with their brains. From my reading, it sounds like their brain structure and their plumbing are a mismatch. Neither is really fixable.

13. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

Wrong. The chromosome and the promoter gene responsible for their function determine sex. The only biologic condition there is insanity, just like in schizophrenia.

14. Ronstar

lol...."insanity" is not a medical diagnosis.

15. MaiNutz

MaiNutz New Member

No,just no.
    Here's a prediction:Bruce Jenner dead within 3 years from suicide.
    People like that commit suicide a LOT.
    I've lived seeing it is my only proof.
    The OP makes perfect sense to me.
    I haven't delved very deep into that subject but..I guess it's kind of like Bulemia or Anorexia.

16. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

Sure it is. Delusion is part of it and schizophrenia has a genetic basis.

17. Flintc

Flintc New Member

The medical and psychological professionals flat disagree with you. In their determination, transgender is not a mental disorder. And while you are certainly free to believe as you wish, I'm going to wait for more study by qualified people. It's an interesting condition.

18. Flintc

Flintc New Member

If your prediction comes true, it would not surprise me. I view transgender as a tragic condition whether or not one tries to change sex. It's kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I'm pretty much of the opinion (tentatively) that the surgery or the hormone treatments or other heroic measures are going to make the condition worse as often as they make it better. I doubt if there will ever be an entirely satisfactory resolution.

19. Ronstar

bull(*)(*)(*)(*).

there is no such medical diagnosis known as "insanity".

20. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

So how is the delusion different. I'd like to know because gender reassignment was originally for those who were gender ambiguous and had chromosomal abnormalities with abnormal karyotypes. All of these people were sterile and had anatomic defects. I'm afraid you're a bit out of your league here.

21. MaiNutz

MaiNutz New Member

I don't think it's something that should be celebrated.It means someone has issues.Issues that need dealt with, with a headshrinker,a good one.

22. Ronstar

to date, there is no "cure" for gender identity disorder.

23. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

Well first off he is correct. Insanity is a legal term. This also isn't a delusion, it is an identity disorder. identity disorders typically have a symptom of disphoria, not delusions.

24. Osiris Faction

Osiris Faction Well-Known Member

Your absolutely right. It can be.

That's why any parent who isn't insane seeks accredited psychiatric help if they have a child they believe is transgendered.

Not because there is something wrong with the child being transgendered. But because they may not be transgendered and may be dealing with other mental problems.

And because a mental health professional can also help with understanding and dealing with the transition process from one gender to another.

25. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

Both disorders are characterized by delusions. Maleness is determined by the Y chromosome. Unless you change the karyotype you can't change the sex. The Y chromosome is unopposed and with an intact promoter gene and a normal karyotype you always produce a male with male characteristics. Anything else is pure insanity.