I have a dream...

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by MolonLabe2009, Jul 23, 2015.

1. MolonLabe2009

MolonLabe2009 Banned

I'm pretty sure MLK, Jr. never thought that his people would ever stoop to this level.

He was envisioning great things for the black people, but some of the black people of today have other ideas.

And it is sad that the liberal media continues to turn a blind eye to these horrific events almost as if they have never occurred.

Why would the liberal media ignore this?

What is the liberal media afraid of?

And why hasn't Obama united us?

Is Obama deliberating stoking the flames of racism?

If so, why would he do that?

[video=youtube;_47VwOX4Da4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47VwOX4Da4[/video]

2. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-tackle-issues-faced-by-black-population.html

Barack Obama's letter shows he entered politics to tackle issues faced by black population

Kenyan half-brother sells handwritten note from future president, which describes how he decided to run for state senate, kick-starting a political career that took him all the way to the White House

Barack Obama's Kenyan half-brother has sold a letter written by the future US president 20 years ago in which he describes his plans for entering politics as a way to help black people.

It was sent to Malik Obama who still lives in the ancestral home in rural western Kenya and sold for an undisclosed flee to a private collector along with a manuscript of a book by Barack Obama, according to the New York Post.

obama-letter_3357228b.jpg
    The letter shows off the President's neat handwriting (Moments In Time)

It offers a fascinating insight into the mind of a young law graduate who would become president and his reasons for running for public office.

“Some colleagues of mine here have talked me into running for the Illinois state senate (like being an MP for a province not the national United States Congress in DC),” he wrote in July 1995. “I have agreed, since I have an interest in politics to deal with some serious issues blacks face here.”

For a man who has worked hard to ensure that his presidency is not defined purely by his race, it is a revealing moment.

3. WalterSobchak

WalterSobchak Well-Known Member

You mean the liberal media that is bringing you the images & videos of these asshats beating people??

And how in the bloody hell does Obama have ANYTHING to do with these thugs? Other than the color of his skin?

4. Lee S

Lee S Moderator Staff Member Past Donor

I think Obama has inadvertently made racial tensions worse. I do not believe it was his intent, but he didn't foresee a worsening of racial animosity as a result of his policies. I think any rational individual can discern the fact that racial strife is worse today than it has been in three or four decades. And why is that? Three things:

First, Barack Obama promised to be a post-racial President and I believed a lot of people believed him. Certainly, America could say that they had achieved an unthinkable milestone in electing the first black President. I believe that most people were really hoping that we could look at racism in the rear view mirror and move forward as Americans, not separately as blacks and whites. And then the reality of the fact that we elected one of the most racist Presidents since Woodrow Wilson came home very early on in his Presidency when Barack Obama said, "I do not know the facts, but I believe the Cambridge Police acted stupidly." That should have been a wake up call to everyone that racism is back and doing just fine, thank you. Black against white racism was no longer something one should be ashamed of, but now it is being modeled by none other than the President.

Second, I believe that Barack Obama's economic policies have hurt the black community disproportionately. Black income, employment, education, and rates of incarceration took a major hit when the economy tanked and it never really got any better, even though there appears to be some improvement in some sectors. Perhaps this losing ground even while there was a black President must have been a serious blow to the psyche of the black community which was exacerbated by the contrast of the euphoria of having a black elected to the White House. If blacks cannot make progress with a black President then the deck must be stacked against them and even a black President cannot cure the problems in the black community.

And finally, I believe the notion that America should be brave enough to have a national dialogue on race, as expressed by Barack Obama and his toady Eric Holder, was a seriously flawed notion that did more harm than good. Race relationships were steadily and inexorably improving prior to the Obama Presidency precisely because we were able to just get along and work together without looking for reason we all are different. Some relationships work a whole lot better if you just don't talk about the relationship and just let it be. Obama decided that America should open up that can of worms and examine every single hurt and wrong that has ever occurred in America's history, as opposed to something akin to stop picking at a scab to allow healing. America does not need a national conversation on race. What we truly need is a national just shut the hell up about race and let old wounds heal with the passage of time.

So the result of modeled racism from the White House, disproportionate black economic distress, and picking at wounds that were well on their way to healing is leading to increased black against white violence. And once that violence occurs, there is no national leadership from the White House which condemns that violence, we end up with racial violence at historical high levels. It just seems, from a sociological perspective, all too predictable.

5. arborville

arborville Well-Known Member

Thoughtful commentary, however, I don't believe that the President is racist. Nor do I believe that blacks generally became despondent because they expected more during his Presidency. We always knew there would be backlash from his opponents that might hinder progress. This happens no matter who is in office.

We could not be post-racial by just ignoring racism.

6. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

Sorry to disagree with you, but America does need a national conversation on race.
    1) Even if Obama wanted to be a post-racial President, there were so many people and forces against him, it wasn't possible. The Tea Party, the Republican congress and the racist minded folks who just didn't want to see a Black man in the White House have been hard to overcome. He has faced more opposition than any President in my lifetime. (I'm 60 yrs old).
    2) Obama has done wonders with the economy considering we were near an economic depression when he took office. It's been hard for all Americans of all colors. I have never heard a Black person blame Obama for their economic problems. I've never heard one blame him for their going to jail. Overall, I think the majority of Blacks are still proud of Obama.
    3) This country is not now nor ever has been free of racism. It's not a matter of picking the scab, the wound has never closed. And it's not Obama or Holder's fault. Obama is in a unique position to talk about race. He is a Black man who was raised by White grandparents. He grew up in multi-racial environments. He can see things from a perspective that most Blacks can't. Maybe that is why he knows just how bad it is.
    Thanks for letting me add my 2 cents to the conversation.:smile:

7. Lee S

I am not sure how you could have missed Obama's overt racism. Perhaps you really do not want to believe he is a racist, and I can accept that. Within the first few months in office, Obama had issued one of the most racist statements coming from the White House in recent memory. Let me help you out with this one. Obama said that ""I don't know, not having been there and not seeing all the facts, what role race played,".... In other word, he is basing whatever comes next based solely on his own personal prejudices and stereotypes. And why did he needlessly have to inject the notion of racism into this incident? Why is he assuming the Cambridge police were white when one of the officers was black? "

"But I think it's fair to say, No. 1, any of us would be pretty angry; No. 2, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home; and, No. 3 ... that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately." Really? Based on complete ignorance, Barack Obama concocted a scenario in which his friend, Professor Gates was trying to get into his house and the white police officers arrested him for stupid reasons. It never occurred to the President that the Cambridge Police were simply doing their job in protecting Professor gate's home and property and police arrest someone they see breaking and entering and then sorting it out later.

This racism is inherent and reflexive in the psyche of our President. And this racism has in essence poured gas on the fire of race relations. If the President's every instinct is to assume racism as it was so clearly shown in the Cambridge incident, then how isn't Obama a rather overt and blatant racist?

8. Lee S

We have had a national conversation on race. What do you think Ferguson Missouri and Baltimore were? We cannot afford to have any more national conversations on race, we are running out of cities to burn.

9. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

I see where you are coming from now. Thank you. Have a nice day.

10. Micketto

Micketto New Member Past Donor

Sort of coming from the same place as you....

How did The Tea Party and Congress hold him back in regard to racial issues ?

I hear the phrase "national conversation on race" a lot the past 6 years.
    What exactly would that be, and how does it happen?

I am curious what a "national conversation" is.
    And how a conversation would change opinions... on either side.

11. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

1) I believe there was a lot of animosity against Obama from day one. Mostly due to his skin color. I believe the Tea Party and GOP congress were a part of that.
    2) I believe a national conversation on race would help us look at history and our current situation from a new perspective. Without the fear, accusations, anger and guilt. But maybe that's not in the cards. Given the history of the USA, perhaps it's asking too much. Obama was naive to think it was possible, huh?:frown:

12. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

A young Black man says: "I was talking race with a friend of mine who happens to be White. I told him that as a Black person we often enter situations distrusted and have to do so much more than the next person to establish trust simply because of the color of our skin".
    White guy replied :" Do you know why lots of non-Blacks are hesitant around Black people? Because if they were you they would have burned this nation down by now and they don't know if today is the day that you'll decide to do it."
    Young Black man says:" First time I was speechless in my adult life".:flame:

13. Micketto

No doubt there were/are people against him because of his skin color. I was against him because when this country needed serious help with it's economy.. instead of voting in a very successful businessman... people voted in a community organizer. He hardly voted on anything as a Senator, and is part of one of the most corrupt political cities in the country.

The same time the left was saying Herman Cain was unfit.... they were calling others "racist" for saying the same thing about Obama. That's what much of the left does. People saw the videos of those people who had no clue what Obama was offering them but believed they were getting their mortgages paid off, free healthcare, and free phones. They got these ideas from the people they looked up to.

I have no idea what you claim the Tea Party and GOP were part of this, except for believing the lies the left has repeated from day one.

Basically, after 4 years in office, people were fed up with being called racist just for criticizing the guy's performance. The fight against him was even bigger in 2012. And not just by whites.

I'm afraid racism, from either side, is never going to go away due to some conversation or timid attempts by some president. Especially when he only voices an opinion when it's a black person killed by a white person. People see this... it does nothing to help the problem. Obama is powerless in the fight against racism because he is a part of it's existence.

As for history, slavery was a horrific evil that never should have happened, and that goes for the discrimination that has followed ever since.

But today, you have a portion of a group that instead of protesting civilly when an incident goes wrong and one of their group is killed.... they decide to burn cities to the ground. They are encouraged/enable to do so by their leaders and mayors. They are excused from their actions "because racism", etc. Enough of that makes the news and of course people are going to be upset at them.

Is it because those people have had enough of the discrimination that has come their way? Most likely.
    But that's not what shows in the media. There are not enough words, and the ones that are presented are too similar to "burn this M-Fer down!"....which is what then happens. All we see is video of business owners boarding up their windows and spray painting "black owned!" in hopes that that will save them from destruction. And the smoldering flames of what was once a gas station, convenience store, shoe store, etc.

Of course you have plenty of mean, harmful whites also, I am not pretending otherwise.
    I am just trying to explain my thoughts on why I don't think any conversation will help.
    There is too much "reason" presented in the media. It's sad, because I know most people are not like the ones we see.

I have said in the past that neither side really wants racism to go away, because people on both sides benefit from it. I do not believe that applies to anywhere near the majority of either side. But I wanted to be upfront in case someone pulls that from my post history, lol.

I can't relate to life as a black person, and I can't imagine what you dealt with and suffered through (since you mentioned your age), but I know it wasn't good. As a Christian I feel it is horrible to hold someone's skin color against them. Horrible to treat people the way they are treated, even today. This goes for everyone in my circle of friends/church/associates, etc. I don't hang with people who feel differently. But I certainly see it, I hear about it and I read it in forums. There are a lot of racists who for some reason have no problem showing it.

Eh... I'm rambling and don't even know if this is on topic. Likely a mod will remove it shortly.
    Plus I don't want SuperBad to see me like this. ; )

Anyway, for this conversation to take place without the accusations, anger and fear.... I sadly don't see it happening. There are just too many people who are set in their ways, and no talk is going to change who they are. I don't even know how most of the people who need to hear it.... would be made to.
    The racists... on all sides.... are just not paying attention.

14. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

Thank you, Micketto. That was a very eloquent post.:thumbsup:

15. ARDY

ARDY Well-Known Member Past Donor

You confuse me because i am unsure of which successful business man Obama was running against in the 2008 economic crisis

Regarding herman cain
    My memory is that he was a primary candidate that republicans chose not to support for reasons having nothing to do with what liberals thought of his qualifications ,

Imo no one voted for obama as a magic solution to racism And he has mostly tried to focus on other issues as a president

-------

In general, there are lots of people who are passionate about their political views
    And passionate opponents will indulge in extravagant mud slinging to tarnish those they oppose
    it is easier to sling irrelevant mud, rather than dealing with the politics
    That happened to romney, has happened to the clintons, and to obama.

Many conservatives may have had legitimate political problems with obama
    But some of those people also wound up indulging in racist invective
    Which tended to color all the opposition to obama

And in truth, some of the virulent opposition to obama seems difficult to explain
    For example the birtherism, or asserting he is a muslim, or the abundance of racist images that i could link to on the internet, or which were carried around as signs at tea party rallies

16. Matt84

Matt84 Well-Known Member

You weren't called racist because you disagreed with his policies ( I won't even acknowledge performance because he's already blown Bush out of the water domestically and abroad), the racism was called out referring to him as a Kenyan Muslim who needed to take his black (insert word here) back to Africa, his wife a gorilla, his children monkeys, sending around racist emails with watermelon, chicken, and basketballs. Many on your side just couldn't stand the fact that a black man (yes, black man, because when you call him these things you're looking at a black man, not a half-black man, his white mother is irrelevant when the name calling starts, so spare me) was about to enter a house that many of you all thought was reserved for white males only. And please, let's not pretend that much of the opposition against him is not solely because of his race. It is. Funny how the Tea Party started caring about debt on January 20, 2009. :roll:

17. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

Matt84, my sister said the same thing about the Tea Party. They became active on January 20, 2009. What a coincidence!:wink:

18. Micketto

Zzz.... have been since before the '08 election.

19. Micketto

I'll just go ahead and assume you're one of the many who think the US economy was "fixed" on Jan 21, 2009.

20. krashsmith81

krashsmith81 New Member

He goes to their funerals when they get shot for foolishly trying to grab a gun from a cop's hand. He does not, however, go to funerals of white women like Kate Steinlen who was gunned down by an illegal immigrant (oops, I mean, "undocumented worker").

Any more questions?

Oh, and stories like those don't usually make it to the national media, they are usually only run on local outlets. But dirtbags chanting the n word on a bus, now that's national news!