anyone good with computers?

Discussion in 'Member Casual Chat' started by Troianii, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Troianii

Troianii Well-Known Member Past Donor

I've seen the 3 screen panels and would love to get them, but when I shop for them online all I can find is the stand. I can't for the life of me find the panels to go with it!

2. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

Maybe they're individual panels? just 3 of them?

3. Troianii

Here, this should give you a better idea

[​IMG]

Now a lot of people use mutli-screen monitors for business for various reasons. Honestly, I mostly want it for a more cinematic experience when watching things, but also for gaming. But, like I said, I've had an unreasonably hard time finding it, so I've thought about this.

[​IMG]

It's a curved monitor so it accomplishes what I'm aiming for with the cinematic experience for movies and gaming ("immersive", whatever). The downside is that using curved loses the multi-tasking options that a 3 panel screen offers, but the curved screen is actually cheaper (looking at about $450 for a 32"). :/

So I may end up going with the curved screen when I upgrade my desktop, but I've been frustrated with how difficult it is to find a good 3 panel setup.

4. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

There's nothing special about the panels, you just use standard monitors (though obviously some will work better than others for practical reasons and these days many are designed with this option in mind).

Searches on this do seem a bit sketchy but if you try "multiple monitor solutions" you should get more hits for full packages of stand plus monitors. You might be able to find a better deal buying the stand and monitors separately but a single package will guarantee everything works together as intended.

5. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega Well-Known Member Past Donor

Well they are just standard monitors that you can buy and put on the stand. The real question to ask is if you computer can drive all three and in which mode you want. 3 separate, 3 as 1 or any combination thereof. Its best to call your PCs support to get the exact specs before buying the 3 monitors. My dell laptop says it can drive 5 monitors (Which is true) but they neglect to tell you at least 3 of the monitors need to use active display port which most lower ends aren't going to have. So Im guessing its odd because if someone sold three monitors on a stand, they would be getting them returned left and right because people would be saying they don't work.

6. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

You need probably an extra video card.

7. Capitalism

Capitalism Well-Known Member Past Donor

You want immersive?

Here you go. I have a Dev Kit I and I love it.

Love playing horror games on it, Skyrim's pretty neat. It's crazy with a good surround sound headset, I suggest Psyko 's but any decent one will work.

8. Troianii

yeah I've considered that before. I've watched Jack Septiceye on youtube a lot - his oculus videos are just funny.

[video=youtube;J227RDvshGg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J227RDvshGg[/video]

I'm interested, but I'm mostly waiting for them to come along with better graphics and better games. At that point I'd be at the front of the line to get it haha.

9. Wolverine

Wolverine New Member Past Donor

I have definitely considered the Oculus.

Imagine playing a flight sim, omg.

10. Troianii

Yeah that'd be awesome. I've actually got Rise of Flight, supposed to be the best ww1 sim, but I didn't have a good joystick and the game has high demands at that end - and pretty much at that end only. Because at natural flap rest, the plane will actually rise at an appropriate speed, and using the keys I only had two options - flaps all the way up or all the way down. So when I came in for a ground strike my flight pattern looked like rolling hills. Kind of funny, but the humor disappears when I have to use that in multiplayer. I'm thinking about getting a serious joystick so I can actually enjoy that game. To this day Red Baron is one of my favorite video games. I'd still recommend it, actually.

11. Wolverine

Check out DCS, the base game is free and you are given a SU-25T and the civie version of the P-51. Steam has sales on the additional modules, $50 modules go for about $20.

Imagine an A-10C, with a fully clickable cockpit. It is as close to an A-10C as most of us will ever get.

12. Oldyoungin

Oldyoungin Well-Known Member

Well first , what's your video card and what do you plan on playing ?

13. MaxxMurxx

MaxxMurxx New Member

I have a NVIDIA GTX680 graphic adapter which has 2 HDMI outlets and one display port. that theoretically would allow to connect three displays it depends however on the OS if it is able to triplicate the picture or divide it on three screens. With 2 displays that works perfectly on Windows 7 and Linux, with three displays I never have tried.

14. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

I would love to have a set up that wrapped completely around for that. Toggling views is such a PITA that it takes the fun out of things like air combat games.

15. Wolverine

They have IR trackes, so you look around the plane by merely turning your head.

16. Deckel

Yeah the oculus does, but I would rather be wrapped in a circle of monitors. I still want to be able to see what is happening in the real world in case a big spider decides to crawl across my hand or something. 100% game immersion would be a little toooo much for me. I would want to suspend only like 95% of my disbelief.

17. Wolverine

Hahahaha... spiders... that is true. The 3D aspect of it gives me a boner.

18. Deckel

I am sure that they are better now, but when I was a kid a recall trying on a pair of some 3-D goggles thing that was based on red lights. It did not give me a boner. It did give me a migraine in short order. Totally screwed up my vision when I removed it after only a couple minutes using it. Made me dizzy as eff. Forget where that was. Probably either a toy store or a science museum.

19. Wolverine

https://youtu.be/SjVcyBiqDh8

20. Deckel

The video still isn't as clear as I would need it to be to buy one. I would need holodeck real because of the astigmatism in my left eye. The flight school I went to had a pretty cool simulator. You could plug a multitude of aircraft into it. I would want something more like that. Even things like the X-box get my vision out of sorts if I do not pause and walk away periodically.

21. Troianii

video of the game I like
    [video=youtube;-7FGy6npFSM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7FGy6npFSM[/video]

And I'm pretty excited to get back into it. So I just set up my new desktop - btw, it's far, far larger than it looks in the picture. It's ridiculously large.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9598995&SRCCODE=WEBLET03SHIP&cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03SHIP-_-03ship&utm_source=EML&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=WEBLET03SHIP

Got this little doo-hickey set up, and I'm actually quite pleased with it. Just a little upset that I've mostly been playing strategy games (binged on AGEOD's "To End All Wars") and some low-end fps called "Heroes and Generals".
    http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UC97-S-ultrawide-monitor

Just set these up today
    http://www.target.com/p/logitech-z506-computer-speaker-system-black-980-000430/-/A-14450360?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=14450360&CPNG=Electronics&kpid=14450360&LID=10pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14450360&kpid=14450360&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0ZauBRDOnoGQ2PTb 9YoBEiQAQ6m_7BahQBl9cY4ru4QMTC kHTlxswO1tDlzWxMrmV2ru_78aAsu6 8P8HAQ

And just ordered this - which I need because, I don't know if I mentioned this but, when flying this game w/o a stick the flapper only have three settings - even, all the way up, and all the way down, and at high speeds the plane tends to climb, so I end up coming in for a strafing run doing a sin wave XD

http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Flight-H-O-T-A-S-Throttle-System/dp/B00HHAIY72

And then, out of curiosity, I looked to see how this game runs on the Oculus... oh... my... deity...

[video=youtube;ConJqygVOqE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ConJqygVOqE[/video]

22. Oldyoungin

Oldyoungin Well-Known Member

That should run fine on the 980. Just get 3, 1080p monitors that are flush with small to no borders.

23. Wolverine

The Rift makes the game 3D iirc, which would be cool. But maybe also disorinating in a flight sim.

24. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

I doubt that any WWI airplanes had flaps. The earliest to my recollection was Orville Wright's split flap invented in 1920. What may have been around in WWI was a sort of combination aileron and flap, known as a flaperon...basically a plain flap.

Anyway, if you like WWI aviation sims, I suggest Over Flanders Fields, although Rise of Flight is an excellent Sim in it's own right for sure. I would say those are the top two in that genre.

25. Troianii

If you mean wing flaps I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure they had tail flaps, mate. :D

I'll check out Over Flanders Fields. I'm quite excited for my new serious joystick. I had a cheap logitech one a while back (like $25 or $30) and it probably worse then flying with keyboard/mouse.