If there were a reliable, effective contraceptive for men would.....

Discussion in 'Abortion' started by Bowerbird, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

If there were a reliable effective, reversible contraceptive for men - would the abortion rate go down or would there simply be a continuance of the current levels of abortion?

In other words would men take responsibility for reducing the number of unwanted pregnancies?

2. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Err.....I think that's called a condom. :eekeyes: Seriously, I assume you are referring to some kind of pill or sub-dermal or dermal patch, etc. It's coming....See here...Vasalgel

Male Birth Control, Without Condoms, Will Be Here by 2017

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/09/we-ll-have-male-birth-control-by-2017.html

Vasalgel is non-hormonal and only requires a single treatment in order to be effective for an extended period of time. Rather than cutting the vas deferens—as would be done in a vasectomy—a Vasalgel procedure involves the injection of a polymer contraceptive directly into the vas deferens. This polymer will then block any sperm that attempt to pass through the tube. At any point, however, the polymer can be flushed out with a second injection if a man wishes to bring his sperm back up to speed.

Not sure how many men would opt for that over a condom....But then, being able to shoot blanks and have it reversible is pretty nice. A guy never really knows if she has taken her pill on time.

3. Bowerbird

[​IMG]

Oh! My! Do you honestly think CONDOMS are reliable???

I think the fact that this has been around for 15 years without hitting the market shows there is distinct male resistance to direct injection into the Vas Deferens

4. LiveUninhibited

LiveUninhibited Well-Known Member

Ugh, using condoms sucks so much, it makes me think twice about even having sex. But what is great about condoms is that, unlike almost every other birth control, they protect against STDs. If there were a male birth control like the female one abortion rates would go down - STDs might go up. Half of pregnancies are unintended and the last thing a guy wants is a kid with a woman he only likes enough to have sex with. Then again, a lot of guys don't even think about it. The drive is so strong, that no set of horrible consequences can dissuade them. So I suppose the net result would be fewer abortions overall, but mostly among guys who think about consequences ahead of time.

5. tecoyah

tecoyah Well-Known Member Past Donor

We already have a very effective method of BC....snip/snip.

Thus do I KNOW I will NEVER get my wife pregnant.

6. Ethos

Ethos New Member

It's not here because the FDA has been holding it back. It was in it's 3rd phase of trials 5 years ago in India. Back then it had been used on hundreds of men in clinical trials with a 100% success rate, and no adverse side affects. I knew about this 8 years ago when I went to get my vasectomy done, and my doctor made a joke about being in the trials.... Now, it's not as easy as sticking a needle in and injecting it, they still have to cut you open, dig out your friggen tubes, and THEN stick the needle in them once they drug the damn things out of your body.... The procedure sounds just as bad as a vasectomy, the only difference being that you could reverse it.

Now what I do think would be good, is if they allowed it here, and made it so insurance would pay for it to be done to your kids as soon as they (the kids) are ready. A simple talk would do "now boy, do you want to do something in the passion of the moment that is going to ruin the rest of your life, or do you want this shot in the nuts?". I think that would cut down on a lot of the abortions, but unfortunately most of them happens in poor neighborhoods and in that "inner city" setting where they couldn't afford something like that. It's getting something to those people that would make the difference, I just don't think they give a (*)(*)(*)(*). You air drop all the condoms in the Trojan factory in those places and you'll more than likely see lots of scented balloons rather than having them being used properly......

7. Bowerbird

And 18 year old males are just lining up to do it!!!

8. Bowerbird

[​IMG]

Honestly - words do not describe my reaction to that sentence

Mind you I have met some guys with attitudes like that in real life and they have invariably looked like a cross between these two

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. tecoyah

There are also far less permanent option for both genders...not as absolute or easy, but still quite effective.

10. diamond lil

diamond lil Well-Known Member

11. FoxHastings

FoxHastings Well-Known Member

They might if anyone was ever honest with them and explained in detail the cost of raising a kid , if they were taught from birth, like girls are, exactly what goes in to the daily operations of taking care of a kid, what it does to his social life , his career, his time, his fun and his Sacred Football Watching Time.

I know, I know, the big "IF".....we could "if" our lives away....

12. Bowerbird

Like???

We still after 15 years of trials in India have managed to get reversible vasectomies to the market

13. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Lots of men already do. Some women don't. Making this an issue of gender conflict is part of the problem, not solution.

14. tecoyah

Both the pill for women and condoms for men are effective...and even my vescectomy is reversible

15. LiveUninhibited

Charming. Australia must be a different planet if the threshold of interest for sex and long term relationships are the same. Though yes, many guys are not open to sharing this fact with would-be partners.

16. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

I'd bet real money that the abortion rate would go down. The STD rate might go up, but the abortion rate and rate of unwanted pregnancies would definitely drop.

Assuming men took advantage of it anyway. It's interesting how some men expect the woman to be the one solely in charge of preventing her own pregnancy, and then castigating her if she chooses abortion after an unwanted pregnancy occurs.

Me, I prefer a "keep your nose out of other people's business and protect yourself" stance on it. If you're someone who opposes abortion, you'd better be damn sure you're being as safe as can possibly be in preventing unwanted pregnancies during the course of your own personal life.

If the men who oppose abortion as a means of dealing with a pregnancy would do this, the abortion rate would also drop.

But the reality is that people aren't going to be careful all the time. That's just cold hard reality. It just doesn't make sense to me that some people assume a child has to be born because people weren't careful.

How about folks stop worrying about other people's choices and just make sure they're being smart about their own when those other people's choices aren't infringing on your life or your rights.

Or how about men and women who oppose abortion create an Adopt-A-Mother program where they agree to pay the expenses of pregnant women considering abortion.

Because everyone likes to wag their fingers at those women in support of their fetus, but nowhere near as many people like to wave their wallets in support of them.

17. FoxHastings

FoxHastings Well-Known Member

""""But the reality is that people aren't going to be careful all the time. That's just cold hard reality."""

A very true statement....now if the Anti-Choicers knew anything about the history of humans they would know it to be true. I asked them all the time how they propose to change human nature but never got an answer.

""" It just doesn't make sense to me that some people assume a child has to be born because people weren't careful. """"

But, but..how else can they punish those wanton women!?!

18. Bowerbird

In theory they are effective - in practice they are not

IT comes down to perfect use versus typical use

http://youngwomenshealth.org/2009/11/03/success-and-failure-rates-of-contraceptives/

As you can see by the link if the condom is used 'perfectly' 2 women out of 100 get pregnant - usual use though means 18 women out of 100 get pregnant

The Pill? Perfect use - 1/100 but usual use 9/100

I know a woman who was going to call her kid Rifampicin because she did not realise that taking some antibiotics could reduce the effectiveness of oral contraceptives

http://womenshealth.about.com/od/birthcontrol/a/contraceptive_failure.htm

And there in a nutshell is why the abortion rate is where it is - and it is not irresponsible teens but older women who want to be responsible but whose life choices have failed

19. Bowerbird

Really? And yet THIS statement

Is NOT demeaning, degrading and downright disgusting?

20. SpaceCricket79

SpaceCricket79 New Member Past Donor

18 year old males have $1000s of dollars lying around?

21. SpaceCricket79

Easy solution to that.

Sleep with a married chick, if she gets pregnant it doesn't matter because her sap husband will be stuck paying the child support, and the guy's free to continue watching football, drinking beer, and sleeping with more married women.

lol

22. LiveUninhibited

I'm only guessing at the angles you're coming from, so I'll end up putting words in your mouth:

Option A: Viewing sex as a recreational activity to enjoy with people you're attracted to is not inherently degrading to anybody. I can be attracted to somebody enough to have sex with them, but not want to spend my life with them. And really, having kids with somebody is even more solid than getting married in terms of them being in your life forever. When a man and a woman want to have sex with each other, and know where each other stand, neither are being used as a sex object anymore than somebody you play golf with is a golf object. The guys who are pretending that's not how they are in order to get what they want are the ones doing something wrong, because they're being dishonest/manipulative.

Option B: Just because you view sex as some mystical, magical thing to only share with your soul mate doesn't mean everybody who doesn't do that is disgusting. Seems somebody from Australia would understand that, being the threesome capital of the world.

23. Bowerbird

Ethics and Mores - where art thou?

- - - Updated - - -

Leading cause of unwanted pregnancy - sad part is the woman who was not considered good enough to continue a relationship but WAS good enough for sex is the one blamed for the unwanted pregnancy

How is that not morally bankrupt?

24. SpaceCricket79

True, recreational sex is natural, even animals such as apes engage in it. Even back in 1950, 50% of women at 18 had lost their virginity. The advent of birth control coupled with more women entering the workforce in the coming decades meant that there were less risks in engaging in casual sex, and that a pregnant woman was less dependent on the support of the men. This is why attitudes toward recreational sex became more liberal, since there were less practical risks involved.

If a guy does end up making a woman pregnant he should man up and help support the child; that does mean she should pretend he wants to get pregnant with a woman he casually seeing.

25. Bowerbird

If the urge for sex is so strong then why is there so much opposition to ending unwanted pregnancies?