Unequal justice in sports

Discussion in 'Sports' started by logical1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. logical1

logical1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

IMO there is unequal justice in the sports world. Pete Rose only gambled on other teams, but was banned from baseball for life. Lance Armstrong cheated and was banned from cycling for life. Yet Brady cheated and is only banned for 4 football games.

Again IMO either Rose and Armstrong have their bans lifted, or Brady should be banned for life too. Also the team should be stripped of their Super Bowl win and trophy! Cheating is cheating.

2. logical1

The Patriots owner was just on TV whining about the fact his team got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

If he was an honorable person, he would give back the Super Bowl Trophy!!!!!

3. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

He did not cheat, a wink wink is not a direct order to deflate. There is no evidence that Brady did anything to cheat, outside rumors and pseudo science.

4. TrackerSam

TrackerSam Well-Known Member Past Donor

They won the Superbowl because of Carroll's stupid play calling on the 1 yd. line.

5. Capitalism

Capitalism Well-Known Member Past Donor

It seems he developed an acute form of Autism at that exact moment in time.

6. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

The team owner deserves to be banned but he is a wealthy elitist so that this will never happen. And yes, the Super Bowl win should be forfeited.

7. stanfan

stanfan New Member Past Donor

Actually, because he has a longstanding record of cheating - the NFL should have given Bill Belechek a one-year ban on coaching in the league. Apparently Brady must have had something on his cell phone that applied to the scandal, because he wiped his cellphone clean when Goodell asked for the phone, Brady got rid of it.......

8. perotista

perotista Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think there is a degree here involved. Rose bet while manager of the Reds on his own time to win games. In my opinion that should have gotten Rose banned for life as a manager, not as a player. Armstrong with PED's got exactly what he deserved. I also think any player in baseball who used them should also be banned.

On Brady, he knew about the footballs although he was not the one who deflated them. He cheated that is for sure, but not to the extent of using PED's. In a way it was much like using the spitball in baseball, only a bit worse. I think the 4 game suspension is about right. Now if it is proved he used PED's or something else. Yes then ban him for life. But not for this.

I think it all depends on the crime or the form of cheating, the degree.

9. pol meister

pol meister Well-Known Member

I think these mega rich sport prima donnas should just get over themselves for awhile, and move on. Brady getting a 4 week vacation in September isn't the end of the world for him or the Patriots.

I'm actually kind of surprised Goodell stuck to his guns on this one, and give him credit for doing so.

Oh, and on a different front, my main "injustice" peeve is not about Peter Rose or other shady characters, but with the late Roger Maris not being in the Hall of Fame. That man deserves to be there.

10. logical1

Lets put it this way. Brady is a professional, and should have immediately known that the footballs were soft, but said nothing. That is cheating.

Now Brady, the owner, and the manager are whining like a 3 year old that dropped his cookie in the sand. I guess we need 3 Bruce Jenners to donate some balls (not deflated) so the 3 of them could be a real man and take their lumps.

11. MrNick

MrNick Banned

Brady should have been suspended for at least 8 games - if not the full season. He cheated his way to a Super Bowl, and it's not like this was the first time the Pats have been caught cheating either..... I have zero respect for the Patriots.

I can see why Armstrong was banned - he used PED's just like Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, Palmareo, Canseco etc, but Rose gambled - and never against his own team.. It's a shame he's not in the HOF given what he gave to the game. Yeah Joe Jackson was banned too but he bet against his own team in the 1917 World Series..

12. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

Agree 100%

13. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

BS he only bet on other teams.... he's admitted to gambling on his team.... to win.... but by his own admission you are wrong.

Beyond that.... he lied to us for years about that fact and finally admitted he had gambled on his team, and now I'm supposed to trust him when he tells me he didn't shave points, or bet on them to lose? mmmmhmmmmm.

Pete Rose marks love to drink any kool-aid he gave.

Pete Rose was one of the best to ever play the game. Ironic, that had he simply retired and never coached, he would be in the HOF as a player. Too bad so sad. Choices were made, and consequences exist because of it.

you are simply more of a brady hater than anything else and hate that , in your mind, he's getting away with cheating. Why is deflating below the limit worthy of a lifetime ban for you when Aaron Rodgers OVER-inflates his footballs, and other superbowl winning qb's have admitted to 'scuffing up' their footballs.

just face it, you hate brady because he doesn't play for your team. I hate that he beats my dolphins all the time, but I'm not demanding you end a man's career because I hate that he beats my team.

The NFL's problem is in the NFL front office. "More likely than not, he knew it was deflated" gets your 4 games..... beating your g/f in an elevator... 2 games.

The NFL is inconsistent with it's punishments, and MLB and Cycling punishments have absolutely NO bearing on how the NFL has dropped the ball.

14. Oldyoungin

Oldyoungin Well-Known Member

I think different types of cheating exist to be honest.

15. stanfan

stanfan New Member Past Donor

"Shoeless" Joe Jackson had an excellent 1919 World Series against the Cincinnati Reds. He was illiterate, couldn't read, accepted the money from the players who got it from the gamblers, and because he didn't report the fact to the team owner, Charles Comiskey, that players were not playing on-the-level, was also one of the 8-men who were banned for life.

Pete Rose bet on the Reds as manager to win, and bet against them to lose. His signal to his gambling friends that the fix was in, was the method in which he used his starting pitchers. One, Pedro Borbon, couldn't ever beat one club, think it was the Dodger's, not sure, haven't read the report in some time. But Rose would start pitchers against teams which traditionally gave those pitchers fits and keep them in the game long passed the time when any other manager would have pulled them for a reliever. By that time, the game would be out of reach for the Reds, and Rose would collect his winnings. That part was in the report, but not made public, that was Rose's agreement to keep it secret, and is why he accepted the life time ban, thus the lifetime suspension. He went along with the scheme, but didn't adjust his level of play in the World Series to any extent, as other players did, particularly Eddie Chicotte, a 29-game winner that season.

Check the sports threads, I have posted several times that Roger Maris should be in the HOF, several baseball fans, and writers disagree, however, Roger is the only player with two MVP League titles to his credit who was not elected to the HOF. Sometime stats are not the measure of the contribution to the game. Rose embodied hard, tough play, with the best nickname in baseball history, "Charlie Hustle" and forfeited his right to become a HOF member by his gambling and cheating actions while the Red's manager. There is no drumbeat of public opinion, or support to put him into the HOF. He might get in after his death, however, baseball purists are going to insure he doesn't get the honor while alive.

Brady and New England? Patriots and Bill Belichek can do no wrong when it comes to the NFL, even Roger Goddell can't control them. They have been cheating for years in many ways. The 4-game suspension was overturned and Brady plays, per a Federal Judge who said there was no direct connection of evidence to support the fact Brady himself ordered the balls inflated to a certain level. Actually quite surprising considering the NFL is a private enterprise, and the league bylaws give the Roger Goodell a lot of power in how the league is run. Was hoping Brady would have to serve the suspension at the start of the season, because I am a Buffalo fan, and didn't want to see him up against the Bills in Orchard Park, N.Y. in game two, he has owned Buffalo for decades. Perhaps the NFL will win the appeal, but as far as Brady being suspended? No - Bill Belichek should be suspended for a season, or made to go back and coach the Cleveland Browns for a year - that would be an appropriate punishment.

16. Alucard

Alucard New Member Past Donor

There certainly is an ugly side to Sports.