on death, immigration, and suicide — some surprising statistics

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Anders Hoveland, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

On the average day in Canada, 575 people die, 610 immigrants come to Canada, and 135 people in Canada leave to go live in another country. 10 people commit suicide.

Surprising?

Canada is taking in more immigrants than there are people dying!
    And somewhere between 1 out of 58 to 1 out of 107 children who are born will someday choose to kill themselves.

(This number is somewhat difficult to calculate precisely because the base number of babies being born over time is not constant)

These are real statistics. I don't know about you, but shouldn't these numbers be a little concerning?

If you find this as concerning as I do, please feel free to look up the statistics yourselves and verify the numbers.

DennisTate and (deleted member) like this.
  2. DennisTate

DennisTate Well-Known Member Past Donor

I suppose one of the reasons for the higher rate of suicide would be the decreased amount of sunlight from December to March.

I wonder if the rate of suicide in Alaska is similar to the high rate in Canada?

I am almost certain that it was in his book "Transformed By The Light" where Melvin Morse M. D. referred to a study done on people who had recently attempted suicide.

One group was simply given near death experience accounts to read and zero people from this study group attempted suicide again during the duration of the study.

It seems that seeing evidence that there is some purpose in this life may help to suicide proof people, even those who are highly vulnerable to taking their own lives.