Talks of gun control increased sales by 140%

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Wolverine, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Wolverine

Wolverine New Member Past Donor

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/07/31/gun-production-up-140-percent/#sthash.0An0liZH.dpuf

Gun prohibitionists fail to understand a very simple concept, talk of gun control by the government only serves to further proliferate firearms. Talks of banning nearly every semi-automatic firearm in the country after Sandy Hook sold every semi-automatic rifle that was present on store shelves. The demand was so high that a $1,000 firearm was selling for $3,000 over night. Talks of banning standard capacity magazines sold every magazine on every shelf in every store in the United States, and they have been selling more than ever.

What is the end result? Dozens and dozens and dozens of manufacturers are producing and selling AR-15's driving the prices down lower than I have ever seen before. There are $600 AR-15's being manufactured today, the cheapest AR's around when I purchased mine some ten years ago was about $900.

So go ahead, obsess banning sporting firearms that are used in 1% of all gun crimes. They only thing you do is give people a reason to purchase firearms they usually wouldn't purchase.

2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd New Member

Ya, we have a new field and stream store opening in Birmingham day after tomorrow. They are advertising (among many other deals) a sweet looking Bushmaster AR, msrp $999 for $499. Also the S&W 22lr AR that best price I ever saw was $399 at academy sports - $249 at field and stream starting Wednesday.

They are going to have a crowd at the door !!

3. Nightmare515

Nightmare515 Ragin' Cajun Staff Member Past Donor

Yet these same people honestly believe that if certain weapons were banned then all of these folks out there buying them up like hotcakes will turn around and willingly give them back...

There is a reason why people are buying firearms up like crazy right now, they fear they made soon become illegal, and believing that they are going to return them if the government says so is absolutely foolish.

These people aren't out there buying guns up "before it's too late" just so they can touch them for awhile before returning them. They are buying them up with zero intentions of giving them back regardless of what the government says. Those advocating banning certain firearms or forcing mandatory registration of firearms GREATLY overestimate the effectiveness of such regulations. I honestly don't think they realize just how many people are going to tell the federal government exactly where to shove their gun laws if they ever came to fruition.

Laws only work if the citizens are willing to follow them. Laws become nothing more than words on a piece of paper if the majority of the citizens give you the middle finger.

I said this years ago when this whole gun control fiasco started. I am honestly in my head trying to remember a plan that completely backfired as badly as this one. I mean this backfired BIG TIME. In an effort to restrict and/or remove certain guns from the public they have inadvertently put A LOT more guns into the hands of the public. Like you said even people who didn't want a gun are buying them up right now and have been ever since they started threatening to take them away. Bushmaster and Colt are probably worshiping at the feet of people like Dianne Feinstein.

Keep threatening the public with strict gun control folks. These gun manufacturers absolutely LOVE you right now.

4. Regular Joe

Regular Joe Well-Known Member

The effects are kind of amusing.
    A guy I know recently purchased a Glock 23. Partly because he spends time in the outdoors, and enjoys shooting, but also because "everybody has one, everywhere I go". He reasons, correctly, that borderline lunatics are reluctant to provoke armed Citizens.
    As we are seeing, increased gun ownership is resulting in decreased gun violence. It will level off somewhere. I own several guns, but only what I feel a "need" for, and I've stopped looking for more.
    In other places on this site, we see threads about recent increases in violent crime in many cities in America. What we DON'T see is that violence being attributed to the increase in gun sales, and credit being given to the people who stirred this up.

5. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

What are you talking about, this makes sense. You restrict how much of a product exists in the market, the price of it will go up. It's called hoarding. Buy them up when they're plentiful and then sell when rare for a profit. Anyone with a basic understanding of economics could tell you this.

6. Casper

Casper Banned at Members Request Past Donor

I understand all that, do you understand that most of the scare tactics are promoted by the NRA and the Gun and Ammo Industry, every time the same old threats arise the sheep run out and buy more guns and ammo, good grief tried to buy 22 LR lately. Feel the need for a new AR or HG go get it, same for more ammo, I buy on my schedule based on my needs or use not on the same old wild claims that almost always prove to be false alerts, ever wonder why so few of those alarms ever actually even see the light of day. Never forget there is Big Money in the arms and ammo industry, and then consider how many times that same card has been played, very eye opening.

7. Wolverine

I fail to see how Democratic politicians publicly stating they plan to ban every semi-automatic firearm with a detachable magazine has anything to do with "the scare tactics promoted by the NRA and the Gun and Ammo industry".

8. maat

maat Well-Known Member Past Donor

Yep, I own an ar strictly due to the scare ban. I will likely buy another when prices appear to be at a bottom. I don't care that much for shooting guns, I just like having a versital gun for self defense for when the libs bring this country down.

9. Casper

And the Bill number was?

10. Wolverine

The "Assault Weapons Ban 2" introduced by Fienstien moved the feature test for determining whether or not a firearm is considered to be an "assault weapon" from two features to one, meaning any semi-automatic firearm with a detachable magazine would have been considered to be an "assault weapon".

The NRA doesn't need scare tactics, the gun prohibitionists are the ones who give people the reasons to panic buy.

11. Casper

And this "Bill" was submitted and voted on when?

As I said, if you feel the need to buy a gun or more ammo do so, if you do not feel the need now why would you feel the need it someone wanted to ban the specific item? I did, since the ban was lifted I have purchased several once banned rifles, along with plenty of accessories and ammo to last a life time, so no possible future ban will change that. So, if the need is there for you then go get em, now, do not wait till the last minute, it will be too late then.

12. Wolverine

Shortly after Sandy Hook, that March iirc.

Obviously the bill failed.

13. Xenamnes

Xenamnes Banned

The bill number was S. 150.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-bill/150

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons-ban-summary

Please explain, in detail, how the above is a scare tactic concocted by the national rifle association.

14. Casper

15. Xenamnes

Xenamnes Banned

If the above proposed legislation does not constitute a scare tactic sanctioned by the national rifle association, what do you consider such to be?

16. Casper

Every election cycle we get the same message, oh pointed to the same one bill that failed. Clue; with a Republican Congress there is ZERO to worry about when it comes to federal bans on guns or ammo, even most Dems see them as useless pandering to a small vocal minority of Americans. So as I said: stop being played, buy what you need when you believe you need it, not when henny penny cries that the sky is falling, every election cycle, which is now a constant state of affairs. Speaking of which Henny Penny sells a wide range of prepping products, Google them.

17. Turtledude

Turtledude Well-Known Member Donor

I am a staff shooter for a large gun and archery dealer that also has a range in the greater cincinnati area. A few months before the sandy hook incident, the owner got a good deal on Bushmaster AR 15s and ordered a ton of them-a move that had some of his employees questioning his sanity. well when the massacre took place and the Graboids in office started the predictable pandering, the owner made a mint because a couple days before the massacre, he sent out a flyer advertising those rifles for a lower than usual price. While other dealers jacked their prices up, the owner of this store didn't and not only did he sell every AR he had, plus lots of AKs etc, he built up a lot of good will by not raping people with price gouging. but I KNOW that the Democrats caused millions of such rifles to be sold. I saw guys coming into this establishment wanting to buy an AR-I'd see clerks ask them if they wanted one for hunting, target shooting, 3G etc and the would be buyers said they didn't care. magazines for said rifles were flying off the shelf. one of my friends has an ammo dealership and through his connections, he obtained a thousand TROY battlemags for the AR 15s. He sold me a case of 20 for a favorable price and noted people were offering him 50 dollars for something that should sell for 14 dollars. He also noted that most of the people buying them weren't shooters but they didn't want to be denied owning one

the same thing happened under Clinton. lots of people bought handguns and then "assault weapons" for the same reason. which is why Sarah Brady was given an award for arms salesman of the year by the sporting arms organization

18. Regular Joe

Regular Joe Well-Known Member

I fully agree that acquisitions need to be kept to a sane level. This isn't me trying to direct the behavior of others, or suggesting any kind of rules at all.
    In various gun forums, I read these posts where people brag about having a closet full of mags, huge caches of ammo and so on. I look at the worst that could happen, and how much would I be able to move if it did. You can't carry more than one long arm and one side arm, with ammo for both, and food and water. If the dirty rotten bunch was to come blasting down the street, how long would I expect to be able to oppose them?
    I say the "right" amount of stuff to have on hand is the most that you can imagine needing, plus a good measure. The real clincher comes in maintaining proficiency with it all.

19. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

Of course it does.

Why do you think the NRA is constantly trying to scare people into thinking the government is seconds away from knocking on our doors to take all our guns away? It benefits the industry they represent.

20. Turtledude

yeah the NRA just made up the Clinton "assault weapon ban" the "Hughes Amendment, and Diane FeinSwine yapping how she wanted to confiscate all the guns in American homes that were named in the Clinton gun ban. And the NRA was behind that turd in NY who used the Sandy Hook massacre as an excuse to ban 10 round magazines-the same limit the turds in office claimed was not a stepping stone for further bans

21. Wolverine

Don't forget that while the Democrats were attemtping to ban nearly every semi-automatic firearm in the United States, Obama stated if Congress failed he would enact gun control of his own, and at the time no one knew what that would look at.

You can continue clinging to the idea that the NRA scares people, when in fact all you need to do is give the Democrats a microphone.

22. evince

evince New Member

what does it effect in our society when the same people buy MORE guns every time this subject is raised in this country?

Its seems to me its just a boon for the gun makers an sellers.

do you always allow your self to be manipulated like that?

23. Casper

And it never happened, just like when Cons promise big changes in dealing with illegals when in truth they have no intention of doing a darn thing.

I know for a fact that the NRA uses the stand of some Dems every election cycle, they can be counted on every time, but hey, don't believe me if you want, the cycle will continue even if the Congress and the Whitehouse are controlled by the GOP, and I bet you still will not believe me.

24. Turtledude

In 1992 I upgraded in USPSA from my single stack Wilson Comp gun to a 19 shot TZ-75 9x21 (have Orlando Chuck explain this to you if you don't know what I mean). I also bought a 15 shot Fred Craig Built Para 45 for use in "limited" division. I bought ten magazines for each gun-which was about 400 dollars for each gun. Now, people who wanted to get into that sport after the Clinton Gun ban happened had to pay over 120 dollars a MAGAZINE because the idiot Democrat turds in office drove the price of each magazine up 300-400% with the ban.

we competitive shooters understand that one more leftwing lesbian on the supreme court replacing someone like Scalia or Kennedy or one more election like 2006 could mean another idiotic gun ban and shortages of magazines-which tend to have short service lives when you are constantly slamming them into a pistol at high speed or dropping them on the deck during USPSA matches. so we are making sure we don't get caught short the next time the turds try to ban them

25. evince

evince New Member

you are an easy mark for the gun sellers

how does that effect this country ?

the SAME people just owning MORE when the gun rights people scream their fake claims about peoples guns being taken away.

what do you think you win?