How many members would like a firearms discussion area

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Turtledude, Aug 21, 2015.

?

Would you like a firearms discussion area

1. YES

85.8%
  2. NO

14.2%
  1. Turtledude

Turtledude Well-Known Member Donor

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2019
    Aristophanes, Cigar and Taxonomy26 like this.
  2. EggKiller

EggKiller Well-Known Member

I used to spend a lot of time on accuracy related forums so why not.
    I'm not competing anymore but someday I hope to have time to get back at it.

3. Regular Joe

Regular Joe Well-Known Member

Sure. I've been a sport shooter since I was 4, with different phases in what I shot, what I chose to reload for, and what I wanted to learn from it all. That's the point. These days, I muse that it (reloading) keeps me involved with a manufacturing process, with shooting being the QC aspect of it.
    None of my guns are weapons, because they are not used as such, and it's not what I intend to do with them. In my day to day life, I'm much more likely to use an ink pen, or a shoe as a weapon.
    Firearms are fascinating at many levels. Let's talk about it.

4. AboveAlpha

AboveAlpha Well-Known Member

I am a Hunter and Sharp Shooter as I owned my first Rifle and Shotgun before I was 12.

I was taught the art of Hand, Eye, Mind and Mental Calculation of when a specific Round would travel a specific distance to strike a target thus CLAY DOVES are easy for me to hit.

I am also an extremely good Bow Hunter and I use both Compound and Recurve.

My Military Dad and..."CIVILIAN"....in the manner the quotes denote...Mom...got me into Throwing Knives, Hatchets, Axes, Darts...you name it...from the time I was 5.

My favorite Hanguns are my Sig Sauer .45 and my S&W .357 Magnum revolver which I believe is the most accurate heavy round handgun I have ever shot.

You fire a round and the .357 Mag flows up and settles right back down to target unlike all these 9 mm's which after pulling the trigger are all HERLY JERKY!!

I also enjoy Fencing and although I hate going to them....I have bested a few very irritated Renaissance Fair Workers.

AboveAlpha

5. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

I think just allowing gun conversations here is sufficient. It's not as if the antis will stay away from the other one, anyway.

6. Greataxe

Greataxe Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think the Gun Control thread should remain as is.

But if it MUST be changed, call it Guns&Gun Control or something like that.

Those on the fence about guns are going to be more drawn to a "Gun Control" thread where---with some good (pro-firearm) opinons outside the mainstream media, hearts and minds can be changed for the better.

7. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

this section is just fine

8. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

Just put it into 2 sections, one for guns and the other for gun control

Honky Kong likes this.
  9. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

The last thing we need are more subforums. Just post your damn thread and make sure the word gun or bullet is in the title. Interested parties will find it.

10. Turtledude

I WOULD expect that if we had anti gun trolling on the other one, if it was created, the trollers would be dinged for derailment. It would be nice to discuss say the merits of a 40 vs 9mm for self defense without having someone whine about a kid shooting a gun instructor with an UZI for example

11. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

Ignore them. If you don't have the discipline, use the button that has the self control you lack. I have the same problem with homophobes, and the religious folk have the same problem with the anti-theists. I wish people would pay attention to the basic parameters of an OP and thread title, but as long as folks pick their noses in public and curse in front of kids, we can all expect derailers and trolls in our lives except its worse out there. there is no 'ignore' button to help with the a nose-picker.

12. Turtledude

Opinion noted, not shared. Did you vote? Self control has nothing to do with this. sometimes trolls serve a useful purpose.

An Taibhse likes this.
  13. Ronstar

thats called a derail, and you are welcome to report it

14. Turtledude

Yes, I suspect we would. I see you haven't voted in this poll

15. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

Nor has he discussed any specific firearm or even type of firearm. Of course there are claims of nebulous firearm ownership and the never ending gun banning banter that serves no purpose on those threads that discuss guns.

16. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

This is a primarily a political discussion forum. I'm sure there are plenty of other forums out there dedicated to general discussions, advice and entertainment involving firearms. I personally wouldn't have an issue with a "Firearms" sub-forum in the Off-topic Chat section if that's what enough people want but as has been pointed out, the general environment here wouldn't necessarily support the kind of discussions you're looking for.

17. Nightmare515

Nightmare515 Ragin' Cajun Staff Member Past Donor

Let me clarify some things here. I've received a few PM's over the last few weeks in regards to derailing threads in this forum and here is the main issue that we face as moderators when managing this particular forum.

This forum is called "Gun Control". Technically it's supposed to contain threads and posts regarding firearm regulations, laws, proposed laws, incidents, etc. Some members use this forum as a place to discuss firearms in general as well. Technically those threads don't really belong in this forum because they aren't about gun control but we allow them because there isn't really any other place to discuss these topics on this board. They could go in the casual chat forum I suppose but most folks tend to think that threads talking about guns belong in the only gun related subforum that we have. So we sort of just let it go.

Saying that however, this is a gun "control" forum. So if someone makes a thread about 9mm vs .40 for self defense or something and a member comes in and "derails" the thread into a gun control debate then it's technically not even a derailment or an off topic because the forum IS about gun control, we just allow people to talk about guns in here. In all reality the threads talking about firearms in general or calibers or something are the real off topic threads. So it becomes difficult to tell members not to talk about gun control in the forum titled gun control even in the threads that have nothing to do with gun control.

The idea of a separate forum for gun enthusiasts was brought to my attention via PM by a number of members. So in an effort to gauge how popular or unpopular the idea was I asked members to create a poll here so the staff could see if this would be something that members would be in favor of or against. As staff members we do our best to give our forums members what they want because this is YOUR forum after all. The members are who keep this place going, the staff simply manages it. Now granted we of course cannot accommodate everybody it's simply not feasible. But if enough members bring something to our attention then we can at least put it on the table for the staff to discuss.

This is in regards to all things forum related, not just firearms. As most know we staff members do participate in the discussions sometimes but the majority of our time is spent managing the site behind the scenes. So we may or may not be in tune with that our forum members actually want, what changes you advocate, what recommendations for improvements you may have, etc. Like I said this is your forum, all opinions and recommendations are welcome. We highly encourage members to use the Feedback Section to talk to the staff and send us PM's. The reason this particular firearms subforum was brought to the drawing board for discussion by the staff is because people asked us for it. So again, if anyone ever has recommendations, questions, or concerns then please do not hesitate to let us know. Our door is always open so to speak.

18. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

True enough Joe, however some of the Forums are barely "politics" if that and many of them are used marginally. Anything that gets more activity is a good thing. Besides guns are linked so strongly to politics especially the big black scary ones, they are essentially one in the same.

joesnagg and DoctorWho like this.
  19. Turtledude

true enough. "what are you listening to" seems less political than what sort of gun should say slightly built housewives carry while shopping"

20. AboveAlpha

If there is anything I have learned over multiple decades of being ARMED is that what one person considers to be #1. GUN CONTROL....and in my case that would be having a proper grip and going about the proper METHODOLOGY of an individual keeping his weapon in CONTROL AT ALL TIMES.....

....another person consideres #2. GUN CONTROL....as the creation of LAWS specific to the U.S. Constitutional Right of a Citizen to BEAR ARMS.

Now the two issues are really not different at all.

There would not have to be people calling on more LAWS to be created as per #2.....if the proper METHODOLOGY of #1. was carried out.

I personally was taught that ANYTHING...and I mean absolutely ANYTHING can be used as a WEAPON TO KILL OR DISABLE.

I was also taught how at the very earliest age possible...in my case it was like 3 years old....how to reguard Hand Gun's and Firearms as simply more advanced and better forms of protection that deserved the utmost of respect as well as deserved my complete attention in learning everything there was to know as far as how to safely operate and carry to how to protect myself and others with such weapons.

It is unfortunate that some people seem to forget that a couple of 5 year old kid's in any home have access to OVER SEVERAL HUNDRED THINGS THAT CAN KILL A PERSON!!!

As example...RUNNING WITH A PAIR OF SCISSORS!!

A STEAK KNIFE.

An Electrical receptical and a pair of tweesers!!!

It never ends as there are a MILLION WAYS TO DIE!!

But just because something can kill you....does not mean that it unto itself is inherently evil or dangerous.

I can take a tan file...you know....the one's that come with a little tab on the side so you can write what that particular file is for and take about 1 minute of my time and fold that tan file so that it becomes a VERY LETHAL WEAPON.

A weapon so lethal that a CHILD would just need 5 minutes of training and after 5 minutes that child could use very little strength and very little force using this folded piece of tan file and KILL A PERSON with one motion holding this folded file in the childs hand.

It would not take anymore force that it takes a kid to take a straw taped to the side of a Juice Box and puncture the mylar film hole to allow that kid to drink the juice in that box with that straw.

So when the words....GUN....and....CONTROL are placed together....they can mean very much the same thing....or not.

AboveAlpha

Well Bonded likes this.
  21. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

I voted yes, but I suspect the antigunners would try to derail discussion. Maybe they should just rename the "Gun Control" forum "Guns and Gun Rights". It sounds more positive than Gun Control.

22. Battle3

Battle3 Well-Known Member

Unless moderators will delete the gun banners from the firearms area, its a waste of time. Look at the other threads which have nothing to do with gun control but are specifically about firearms as a sport or hobby, they are quickly hijacked by one or more anti-gun zealots.

Besides, there are plenty of other forums dedicated solely to firearms, nothing but firearms, with exceptional people in the forum, and with no banner zealots allowed.

23. Wolverine

Wolverine New Member Past Donor

I have the gun board thing done on other boards, it always devolves into political debate.

I think gun threads in the gun control forum is just the nature of the beast. When a group of clueless people want to ban the items people use for self-defense, hunting, sport, and investment, you are always going to have conversation amoungst the educated of what they like.

24. AboveAlpha

I can say from direct experience that the difference between a person who Advocates the Right to Bear Arms and a person who ADVOCATES DOING AWAY WITH HANDGUNS.....is the difference of getting MUGGED....or having a Criminal Element exact a tramatic experience upon a person or family....and then those who want to do away with Handgun's become RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS ADVOCATES!!

AboveAlpha

25. Ronstar

the Gun Control section is just fine.

there are lots of other forums devoted to guns.