war leading is great.

Discussion in 'Warfare / Military' started by Independant thinker, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Independant thinker

Independant thinker Banned

No but isn't it though? Ive just stated that I want to use your children as cannon fodder, yet you'll vote me in.

Pretty twisted if you ask me but whatever floats your boat.

Even writing this won't stop me or someone else. You sickos.

2. Dayton3

Dayton3 Well-Known Member

The "using your children as cannon fodder" has little emotional appeal because:

1) We don't really send "children" to war anymore. The average age of soldiers killed in Iraq was 30 years old.

2) All our soldiers are volunteers. They ended up in a war zone because they CHOSE to be there.

3) While the media loves to talk about body counts "As many American soldiers have now died in Iraq as died on 9-11. We are approaching 4,000 killed in Iraq............" everyone in the military knows that the actual likelihood of being killed in a modern conflict fought by the United States is pretty remote.

3. Independant thinker

That's pretty awesome actually. Makes you realize how evil ww1 and vietnam were. That'd be horrible to be 17 and sent off to war.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

During WW ll, Korea and Vietnam wars, 17 year olds couldn't be sent into a combat theater of war. It's still the law today.

The U.S. Army's War College conducted studies who made the best soldiers, mainly riflemen ?

A white male who's 28 years of age with two years of college under his belt. They even went politically incorrect and broke it down to ethnicties, Scot-Irish, German, Irish, English, etc.

Before 1942 one didn't join the U.S. Army but joined one of the corps of the army, the Corps of Infantry, Artillery Corps, Engineer Corps, Air Corps, Quartermasters Corps, etc. Same with the Navy, there was the "black shoe navy" and the "brown shoe navy." There was only one Marine Corps and every Marine was a rifleman first.

After Dec. 7th, 1941 there were more than enough volunteers but most were volunteering to join the Navy, Marine Corps, Army Air Corps, etc. but not enough volunteering to serve in the Infantry Corps or Quartermasters Corps, etc. So there were changes made, all volunteers had to enlist or volunteer through their draft boards. Only 17 year olds were allowed to directly enlist into the branch of service they chose.

The first to get drafted were men in their forties and thirties then their twenties. By 1944 they started drafting those in their early twenties and soon 19 and 18 year olds. The average age of the American soldier during WW ll was 26 years of age.

It would be the JFK administration who would change the law where 19 year olds would be drafted first and working their way up to the older men. For example Elvis Presley was drafted in 1958 at 23 years of age.

The Vietnam War was known as the first war fought by mostly teenagers. But that's a liberal myth, the average age of the American soldier and Marine during the Vietnam War was 22 years of age. Only 1/3 who served "in-country" during the Vietnam War were drafted, 2/3 were volunteers.

The only time American soldiers were used as "cannon fodder" is when a community organizers issues politically correct "Rules of Engagement" that favors the enemy and results in American troops bleeding and dying on the battlefield.

6. Mushroom

Trying to use facts who has propaganda behind them is never workable. IT is showing they are neither "Independent", nor a "Thinker". Jusr revomiting more coprolite that makes no sense.

7. Independant thinker

Ok so the age moved up to 18 after ww1. So what. No need to be pedantic.

The bolded. Are you lying or mistaken? They definitely drafted older men later in ww2. And they didn't generally use them as combat soldiers. Fact. Surely you aren't lying about that. Remember Apocalypse now? They made a big deal how Kurtz joined up as a rifleman at 37.

Older men are too savy to put up with it and too old to be trained.

My own grandmother told me that my grandfather was drafted later because he was older and had children.

Maybe America tried to rustle up some older single guys in ww2, reasoning that they were more expendable? I don't believe it, but it's the only thing I can think to help you.

8. APACHERAT

You have it backwards, during WW ll the older men were drafted first.

"Apocalypse Now" is what Hollywood liberals who didn't serve think Vietnam was like, all fiction.

In fact the movie "Apocalypse Now" is based upon 1899 novel "Heart of Darkness." < https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Darkness >

The fictitious Col. Kurtz didn't join up as a rifleman when he was 37 but was already an Army officer of grunts and went "air born" at 37.
    In the real American military, a soldier or Marine who's been a grunt for 15 or more years and when he hits 37 years of age his body is pretty beat up and would very unlikely would have been able to complete air born jump school. Being a ground pounder in the Army or Marines, your body takes a real beating even during peace time.

9. Independant thinker

10. APACHERAT

Have you ever heard of America's Militia Laws ?

Every American male who's not in the active duty military or a member of the military reserves or National Guard are members of the unorganized militia.

It could be said any male of military age who doesn't own and possess a military style rifle is unpatriotic and hadn't served honorably in the U.S. militia's.

11. Strasser

Strasser Banned

I'm one of the few, if not the last, fossils around who think the draft should be re-instated, even in 'peace time'. Those that can't pass the physicals or are CO's or have children or whatever the issues can be sent to programs like the old CCC and other work programs started by FDR, that built schools, parks, sidewalks, roads, whatever needed building, for a couple or three years. The draft had the effect of forcing people of all economic and social backgrounds and regions of the country to learn to work for a common interest, the country, and at least learn to tolerate people different from themselves, It was a good thing overall, and instilled a lifetime sense of responsibility in many; when I go to my city council meetings, assorted volunteer groups and the like, military veterans make up the largest demographics in all of them.

Dayton3 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Mushroom

Remember that you are talking about a movie, and not real life?

However, even when talking about a movie, your "facts" are wrong. Colonel Kurtz was a 3rd generation Army Officer, son and grandson of West Point graduates, as well as one himself. Who first rose to command of an Infantry unit after getting his commission during the Korean War. By the time of the movie, he was a respected combat commander, and a graduate of the Airborne School.

His achievement at the age of 38 was to apply for and be accepted by Special Forces. And they are far different then "Riflemen".

If you are going to try and tell a fictional story based upon a movie and not real life, at least get the basic facts straight, eh?

13. Nightmare515

Nightmare515 Ragin' Cajun Staff Member Past Donor

Nobody likes war, especially those who have actually fought in one. Only the literally insane WANT war but that doesn't mean that war isn't a fact of life or a necessity.

It's so easy as an average joe to just sit back and say "no war" and wonder why humans still continue to wage war against each other. The real world doesn't work like that, it's not that easy to just not have war. Then some will say "sure it is, just don't go". No..it doesn't work like that, if it did then we wouldn't have military's.

Everyone in the US military are volunteers. Not a single person wearing the uniform was drafted against their will. The US military needed a huge spike in recruits when these terrorism wars kicked off and needed an even larger spike during the troop surges in 2008. Thousands of people volunteered to go knowing full well that they would find themselves on the battlefields or Iraq and Afghanistan within months of shipping off to boot camp. If anybody joins the military then gets surprised when they find themselves in a warzone then they are fools.

I for one would be more terrified of a President who said "We will not go to war under my administration". That would freak me out because there are real wars in the real world and whoever said something like that lives in a fantasy world and would put this country in a dangerous situation by refusing to acknowledge that fact.

Everything the US military does revolves around training for war. Even in peace time. In garrison they do training exercises, live in the field, go to shooting ranges, plan mock missions, etc. All gearing up for the next conflict. Logical people understand that war is a part of life which is why we have a military. If it were so easy to just "not go to war" then we would have no reason for anyone to have armies and we would all just disband them and promise to never both each other.

14. Independant thinker

I think that we are already in a war.

15. Nightmare515

Nightmare515 Ragin' Cajun Staff Member Past Donor

No thanks, I would much rather people WANT to fight for out country instead of forcing them to do it. We have more than enough people willing to volunteer for service now, we actually have way too many and the backlog of recruits is huge with folks trying to join but can't because there isn't enough room. Plus the President believes we don't need an army and is throwing everybody out of it while the Generals are screaming at him but thats a different story.

But we have enough folks willing to fight. If we ever find ourselves in a situation that we need a huge influx of recruits and we run out of volunteers then we may need to rethink that situation. That would mean we've found ourselves in a conflict that the nation REALLY doesn't agree with seeing how nobody wants to fight. Even when the OIF and OEF wars turned south and lost support from the public we still had thousands of people lined up trying to join the military.

Even among this new generation who isn't as patriotic as those of yesteryear we still have plenty of young people willing to sign up. Things are changing though and I do feel that "national pride" is slowly dwindling and there may come a time in the future where national pride is so far gone that few people want to join the service. But we are nowhere near that time yet.

16. Mushroom

Notice my tag line for a perfect example of that.

I tend to belie that those who scream "no war" the loudest are the most narcissistic people in the world. Because they think that nothing in the world is worth putting themselves at risk, no matter what.

17. Dayton3

The U.S. would never have been able to fight World War Two with an all volunteer force.

18. Independant thinker

Do you think they'd let Japan invade America? I suppose the people might do that if left to their own devices.

19. Mushroom

Actually, they possibly would have.

The main reason the draft was used in WWII was not to get enough people to fight, but to moderate the times they were brought into the military for training.

In the weeks after Pearl Harbor, all military training systems were overloaded with trying to absorb all of those who wanted to join. The decision was made to accept all enlistments, and to use the draft as a way to bring in a controllable number of people at a time. You could still "enlist", but all that did was give your preference into what branch of service (Army, Navy, Marine Corps) you wanted to join when you were "drafted".

The entire US military system could only handle about 200,000 recruits per month (900,000 in the training cycle at any time). So the draft was mostly used to control the number of personnel brought in each month. About the only people who were able to directly enlist after early 1942 were those with critically needed skills, like medical personnel, pilots, etc.

One interesting fact most people forget about. Of the roughly 72,000 individuals who identified themselves as "conscientious objectors", almost 30,000 still joined the military, in a non-combatant status.

20. Independant thinker

I wouldn't blame anyone for not bothering anymore.

21. Dayton3

IIRC, the draft in the United States was started BEFORE the Pearl Harbor attack.

22. Mandelus

Mandelus Well-Known Member

Correct, it was on September 16, 1940!

My opinion about draft is that it is not useable. In the US it was far away to be rated as fair all the time and in other countries it was (or is) not really fair. But more important is that in today's wars the draft armies are really not more as cannon feat. A drafty will never be taught enough, aside of lacking motivation by him, because he is only counting days until he is ready with it.

23. Dayton3

What makes you think draftees are "cannon fodder"?

I could see a situation in the future where the U.S. was facing the prospect of a huge land war and needed vast numbers for the U.S. Army (say three to four million) and the only realistic option would be a draft.

24. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

Most of people in WW1 volunteered for the war, and same is true of Vietnam.

25. Independant thinker

Why is everyone taking things out of context.