Any other Pro Wrestling nerds out there?

Discussion in 'Music, TV, Movies & other Media' started by Nightmare515, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Nightmare515

Nightmare515 Ragin' Cajun Staff Member Past Donor

Or better yet anybody who will admit it? lol

I love wrestling I've watched it for decades ever since I was a small kid. I'm one of the very few grown adults that I know who still watches it. Everybody always shakes their head at me when I tell them I'm busy watching WWE on Monday nights. I was happy to finally meet another person at work who loved wrestling as much as I do, all of our buddies laugh at us at work all the time lol. Him and I share an office with a few other guys and it's hilarious to hear one of us randomly bust out with a wrestling catchphrase in the middle of work.

"Hey man"
    "Whats up?"
    "DO YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN!!?"
    "Hahaha! Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your ass!!!"

*Rest of the office shakes their head*

I don't know what it is about wrestling but I get just as hyped now as i did when I was a kid. It's not uncommon to find me bouncing around the room and doing wrestler poses and stuff when watching it on TV lol. My neighbors probably think I've literally lost my mind, I'm sure they can hear me yelling in the living room when I get super excited.

I remember a few years ago I went to a live WWE Raw event and managed to drag my Army buddies along. The tickets were free for military and they said they'd go for the hell of it. One of them was a huge wrestling fan like me and we wore our t-shirts and stuff. When we showed up to the gate the lady saw our military ID's and upgraded our seats to a VIP section with a great view. Me and my buddy were so loud and excited during the show that a group of like 12 year old kids next to us told us to calm the hell down and be quiet LOL. It's sad, two grown adults getting told to settle down by children lol.

One of my friends who went to the show with me was a HUGE John Cena fan and before the show we were at a bar having a few drinks. I ask the bartender where the bathroom was and she says I have to use the one downstairs because they have the upstairs floor roped off because some wrestler is up there talking to kids or something. My buddy asks her who it is and shes like "I dunno I don't watch that stuff lol...it's some guy in a green shirt named John I think". My buddy loses his freakin mind.

"JOHN CENA!!! JOHN CENA IS UPSTAIRS HOLY (*)(*)(*)(*)!"

He jumps out of the chair and runs upstairs and the security guards stop him before he can get to the room. He just keeps yelling JOHN CENA!! trying to get his attention, completely disrupting the make a wish thing going on lol. Security guards drag him back downstairs and say if he goes back up there he's getting arrested. It was hilarious. He did get to see him though that he was happy enough.

I love this stuff and I dunno why. It always sucks though because WWE PPV's come on Sunday nights and WWE Raw comes on Monday nights at doesn't end until 11pm and usually have to work early the next day and I can never sleep. I get so pumped up and excited bouncing around my living room watching the shows that my adrenaline is on full blast and I can never fall asleep after that. My coworkers have pretty much just accepted that I will always come dragging into work like a zombie the morning after WWE is on TV. My bosses are cool though and they usually allow me to come to work late the morning after a WWE PPV on Sunday night because they know I'm going to watch it even if I have to be at work 4 hours after it goes off.

And tonight is WWE Summerslam!!

Yeah I'm a huge nerd lol.

2. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

I liked it up until I was 16, then a light switch went off and I never got back into it. That was back when Undertaker was doing his "biker" image instead of the original look. This was long before John Cena came along. Back then the Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin were equally popular. Not the case now.

3. Nightmare515

Yeah I miss the days when wrestling was popular in society. I stopped watching it for a few years when the people like Stone Cold and The Rock left and the Attitude Era ended. Then I got back in to it like a decade ago. It's nowhere near the same as it was before. Not sure how much of that is due to the fact that I grew up or if it really was better back then. I still enjoy it though.

4. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

my all time wrestling hero:

[​IMG]

Killer Kowalski - none better

Bruno Sanmartino (WWF champ) and Verne Gagne (AWA champ) both said he was the toughest wrestler they ever fought - btw, Gagne told me so personally!

Mad Dog Vachon:

[​IMG]

Harley Race:

[​IMG]

they just don't make them like they used to

5. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

Pro-wrestlers are elite athletes acting as stunt performers basically. The melodramtic soap operaesque..."good guy vs. bad guy" subplots are part of the entertainment package, but at it's core..professional wrestling is based upon scripted stunt work.

This shouldn't detract from the level of athleticism of the participants, they are in fact, elite. However, I like unscripted sports, so professional wrestling never appealed to me.

It would be the eqivalent of watching a football game wherein both teams knew who was going to win and who was going to lose, before the game started.

As I say, the stunt work itself is entertaining and has merit, but as a sport...not so much.

6. sec

sec Well-Known Member

Walter (Killer) Kowalski was a nice guy. He did a lot for local charities as well as the local youth. On several occasions, he and Rex Trailer, another local Boston celebrity would come into the restaurant and I'd wait on them. It got to where they would ask to be seated in my station. Here was a guy that no matter how hurt he was, if a charity was in need, he'd get on the phone and arrange a charity wrestling event and he'd step into the ring as he had name draw.

And yes, he "slapped the claw on me"

Mr_Truth and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Mr_Truth

Killer will always be the # 1 wrestler in my book.

8. WestFork

WestFork Well-Known Member

Modern pro wrestlers are a joke. It would take Bruno Sammartino about 15 minutes to take care of the entire sorry lot.

9. Alucard

Alucard New Member Past Donor

I like to watch WWE on Monday nights and I also like watching the wrestling specials that are included with the $9.99 subscription price. I like the New Day theme and I can't help saying, "New Day Rocks."

10. Mr_Truth

Why pay for those PPV shows when they are available for FREE on British tv?

I log on to European websites where sports are streamed online and watch those shows for free. Haven't paid for one of those shows in many years and don't plan on doing so ever again.

11. Nightmare515

I'm struggling to watch Raw now that NFL is back on tv. I switch back and forth sometimes but I only like a few segments on Raw now so I spend most of the time watching NFL. I do always try to see New Day though, they are absolutely hilarious, best part of the show. Plus I always make a point to try and catch Nikki Bella coming out, that booty twirl thing she does is nice, I literally get physically upset when she just walks out and doesn't do that LOL.

12. Alucard

Yeah, the Bella twins are cool! I didn't like that period when the one sister turned on the other. I know Vince McMahon thinks up all sorts of stuff to get the ratings. I'm just glad that the Bella twins no longer have any animosity toward each other. Now, Paige has it in for Charlotte.

13. Alucard

I was shocked how Brock Lesnar (I can always hear Paul Heyman saying Brooooooock Lessssssnar!) pinned The Big Show and the match was over so quickly at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night.

14. Nightmare515

Yeah I was sort of surprised by it as well to be honest. I thought they would at least make Big Show out to be somewhat of a threat. But then again in the WWE world they throw logic out of the window all the time which is why they have 200lb "heavyweight" champions and why people the size of Kane and Big Show don't beat the living crap out of everybody.

Big Show has been getting beat up all the time over the past few years. At least with Brock its actually believable. I just hate it when they have people the size of Daniel Bryan beating up people the size of Big Show.

- - - Updated - - -

My only issue with the Bellas is that Brie doesn't do the ass twirl thing with Nikki anymore. Seeing them both do it mirroring each other was one of the best parts of the show. I wonder why she stopped, probably has something to do with her being married now and not wanting to be sexual like that anymore...even though her butt falls out of her pants literally every single time she wrestlers because she insists on wearing those low hugging wrestling pants...

15. Alucard

I feel Sheamus is going to interfere with an upcoming match since he has the Money in the Bank suitcase.

16. Alucard

I watched "Hell In A Cell" tonight and Brock Lesnar defeated the Undertaker. I thought Brock was going to win and I was right. I was shocked to see John Cena lose his title tonight. I knew Seth Rollins would keep his title.

17. Mr_Truth

I wonder if Undertaker is going to join the Wyatt family.
    After all, Undertaker started out as a cult leader for Ministry of Darkness - mebbe the Wyatt family is its latest incarnation.

18. Alucard

It's all up to whatever Vince McMahon decides.

19. Mr_Truth

nWo 444 Lyfe!

20. MrNick

MrNick Banned

I am sorry, but a bunch of grown men should not be fans of other grown men grappling others in their underwear...

I thought the UFC would kill that homoerotic behavior... guess not..

My personal opinion of course...

21. Elcarsh

Elcarsh Well-Known Member

The WWE of today is dumb. Incredibly dumb.

Not only are pushing Brock Lesnar to high heavens when everyone knows that he's a pure mercenary, a greedy prick who is only in it to get as much money as possible for doing as little as possible. They've also managed to mix up real life with storylines, what with them making a storyline about how Daniel Bryan won't be pushed because the COO has decided that he won't be pushed because of business reasons.

If you try to sell bull(*)(*)(*)(*), don't be upset when people point out that it smells.

And then they brought in Sting, the legend from WCW, the most famous wrestler never to work for the WWE. What do they do? Bury him. He loses at Wrestlemania, then gets another match against the WWE champion, and loses that as well.

They're doing the exact same thing they did during the Invasion storyline; they bury the WCW wrestlers to show how awesome their own roster is.

Screw the WWE, frankly.