"Black Lives Matter!" - A non sequitur

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by drj90210, Aug 24, 2015.

1. drj90210

drj90210 Active Member

Take any political issue, be it taxation, immigration, gun control, abortion, healthcare, etc, and you will find at least two opposing viewpoints. “Black Lives Matter” is unlike any other political movements or political issue for one very obvious reason: There is no opposition. Every time I see these “protesters” interrupt speeches of Bernie Sanders and others, I just laugh at their absurdity. There is no significant political faction that disagrees with the sentiment that Black lives matter. It would be one thing if Bernie Sanders’ website indicated that he was in favor of burning the Bill of Rights and implementing some caste system that placed Black people on the bottom rung of society, but this is obviously not the case. I disagree with Bernie Sanders on just about everything, but he is clearly not against the notion that Black lives matter. Hence, by interrupting a speaker (who agrees with your viewpoint) and shouting “Black lives matter,” it is as much a non sequitur phrase as shouting “Men have the right to vote, or “The sky is blue!”

What does everyone else think about the “Black Lives Matter” crowd? Does anyone actually think that they are here to try to improve race relations?

2. TBryant

TBryant Well-Known Member Past Donor

It seems to be a matter of perception. Its not really that there is any clear truth to it, but it is one that is reinforced by both sides.

Both black activist and politically conservative groups at this point think that blacks have more interactions with law enforcement than whites. Both sides think these interactions result in violence disproportionately when blacks are involved.

Conservatives assume this is true because they think blacks are more often violent criminals, black activist believe this is true because police resort to violence more quickly and brutally when interacting with blacks.

Its very hard to find statistical evidence that supports the initial view, but public perception on the issue seems pretty clear.

3. Micketto

Micketto New Member Past Donor

4. drj90210

drj90210 Active Member

This is all unrelated the the point that I was making, which was that nobody, regardless of what political ideology one has, disagrees with the idea that Black lives matter. Thus, by interrupting a speech by any politician shouting "Black lives matter" is as nonsensical as shouting "Women have the right to vote."

5. TBryant

TBryant Well-Known Member Past Donor

The point of the activist is that, to law enforcement, black lives matter less.

Agree or disagree thats the point they are trying to make. Not that their lives matter at all, but their lives are equal to whites.

You seem to be making a semantics point on the issue. As often happens with semantics, your argument merely evades or lampoons the issue.

If I offended you by pointing this out, I apologize.

6. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

Really? Black lives seem to matter less to Blacks because they have no problem killing each other wholesale in the inner cities.

7. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

Black Lives Matter, means cops should stop killing unarmed black people.

8. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

You mean like the "gentle giant" Michael Brown? Since an unarmed opponent can become armed very quickly and since many if not the majority of LEO's are shot with their own weapons how do you figure? I'll give you a quick lesson in holsters. Patrol officers have to wear what's called retention holsters that has to carry a lot of gear and will have "retention" features so that weapon cannot be easily taken. That, however makes them slower to draw which leads to a tactical dilemma. If he/she are within 10 feet of a thug rat, where most LEO's are shot, that gets very real. Considering that a LEO's biggest percentage of being shot is from a Black male, I think the BLM goes up in gun smoke.

9. drj90210

drj90210 Active Member

If that's the case (even though there is no evidence to defend this position), then why don't these "activists" protest in front of the police headquarters of a major city? Why disrupt a Bennie Sanders event? That would be like a bunch of people interrupting an NRA meeting chanting "People have a right to keep and bear arms." It makes no logical sense. Why disrupt a speaker who is sympathetic towards your supposed plight?

The point that I am making is that nobody disagrees with this.

How am I arguing semantics? I am making a very clear point that the whole premise of the "Black Live Matters" movement is absurd.

Did I seem offended?

10. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

Why the BLM movements matters:

Seattle officer who arrested black man carrying golf club as a cane fired for racial bias, confrontational manner: officials

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...an-carrying-golf-club-fired-article-1.2362131

The white Seattle officer who arrested an African-American man she claimed swung a golf club at her was fired Tuesday for her racial bias and combative approach, the city's police chief said.

Officer Cynthia Whitlatch drew an outcry when the video of the July 2014 arrest showed William Wingate, 69, doing nothing besides leaning on the club like a cane.

The Seattle Police Department released the video in January and worked with the City Attorney's Office to dismiss all charges against Wingate.

Police Chief Kathleen O’Toole signed off Tuesday on findings by the department’s Office of Professional Accountability that Whitlatch, 48, broke the department’s rules in the arrest.

Whitlatch “perceived mistreatment on account of your race” when she complained a black judge and black deputy chief dropped Wingate’s charges because she is white, SPD’s termination order said.

“Your perceptions of race and other protected categories appear to be so deeply seated that they likely impacted the authoritarian manner in which you treated this man and your refusal to deviate from that approach towards an individual whose actions did not warrant such treatment,” the document said.

ironically it was the camera she held that led to her conviction - now imagine if she did not have it and what a cover up would have taken place

also imagine how many THOUSANDS of times incidents like this happen throughout the USA which have not been recorded

11. Dispondent

Dispondent Well-Known Member Past Donor

12. Empress

Empress Well-Known Member

The movement should be embarrassing the black community as the clear implication is that these people only protest and get up in arms when a black person is killed by a racial outsider, and even then they protest justified killings such as Michael Brown without bothering to wait for evidence to emerge.

- - - Updated - - -

Because the cops did it, regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

"Unarmed" is a meme with no meaning. Michael Brown punched Wilson in the head several times and then grabbed his gun and tried to shoot him with it. He then charged him like a bull when Wilson tried to stop him from fleeing after attempting to murder him.

Apparently aside from the "unarmed" fallacy, you don't seem to take issue when cops shoot unarmed white people.