Hello and need advice for a student

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sethcole9696, Aug 25, 2015.

1. sethcole9696

sethcole9696 Newly Registered

Hello! My name is seth, I guess This is my first post on the site.

I need advice from wiser men and women than I. I have a huge passion for politics and I would spend the rest of my life studying it if I could, My second love is also science and the study there of. The problem being that I can't seem to be passionate about politics and international relations (The major of which I want to study) Without being nationalistic in a sense. I seem to find a nation whose policies I agree with and latch on to them, for instance France. I become absorbed in french culture and the likes to an enormous degree. Then when the "pale blue dot" Realization hits me again I feel foolish and guilty for becoming so entranced the way I do. Does anyone have any advice about not latching your self to a single player on the world stage or perhaps an objective way to look at politics. I know this is a strange request but any advice is welcome. Thank you

2. JakeJ

JakeJ Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why try to manipulate yourself? Whatever interests you is what interests you. That you believe you could consume all of history of the entire world as if an alien having no points of reference is both impossible and pointless. You will do best with what interests you anyway.

3. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

temporary obsessions and passions are the great motivator for in depth study. By the time you are done with your love of France, for example, you will understand every intricacy in their politics, history, and culture. That kind of depth is actually wonderful. When reality and objectivity hits, and the rosy glasses fall away from your nose, and all the warts and wrinkles meet you, that stage too is of value.

Falena and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Independant thinker

Independant thinker Banned

you could be a journalist? You sound like you want to comment on politics. I only learned a bit about politics when I became older and I found something disturbing enough to seek answers. I'm not even slightly passionate about politics. I just like derping on political forums because it frames the discussion.

Given the dialectical nature of human reasoning, I think you've got an up hill battle trying to stay offside. Most people just don't get it. "You are either with them, or against them". It will take many years for those who know you or have heard of you to stop chimping out and work it out. Impartially is just not a strong suite for the vast majority of people.

5. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

You perhaps should spend more time looking at comparative politics or regional politics as the compromise position if that is what you want.

Welcome.

6. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Politics is a way to get people to do things they normally wouldn't do. It is mostly propaganda tied to central government and intended to distract the populace. Politics is shallow and steeped in political correctness which is exacerbated by the press. Politicians are basically criminals that have been given certain rights to rob citizens of their income. You will never get rid of them all you can do is try to quarantine them like a bad computer virus.

7. Capitalism

Capitalism Well-Known Member Past Donor

One should not latch on to policy, policies become corrupt.

One instead must learn to evolve those policies to a more simplified manner at all times. By one I meant the collective population. (Where the US went wrong)

Here's an example for you, Hitler was Time Magazines person of the year and his policies seemed sound. Do they seem sound now?

8. Capitalism

Capitalism Well-Known Member Past Donor

"Government is like fire. A fearful master and a dangerous servant."

9. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

I think you can generalize just about any single player on the world stage to all of history and politics. They came, they saw, they conquered, they fell. Hubris catches up to 'em all. You seen one, you seen 'em all.

10. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

Older, but not wiser - anyway just some thoughts. Be fascinated by your topic, you'll need to be to really understand it. But be critical in thinking about your topic. Appraise, assess, just don't describe. Ask "why" a lot. Keep asking "why" until you find an objectively satisfactory answer and then write about it. Prepare yourself by challenging assumptions and things as they appear on the surface.

11. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Well-Known Member Past Donor

12. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

Politics is mainly about law, have you thought of studying international law? It would give you a sort of framework for your in depth studies of individual countries and a unique perspective on all the knowledge you build up over time.

13. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

That's an interesting problem.. I would just say spread out your interests and dabble in all cultures as best you can. It sounds like you do that now, anyway, when, as you say, the "pale blue dot" Realization hits you. Do you take that opportunity to shift your focus elsewhere for a while, like to Germany or Russia or Poland or... ?

14. Ryriena

Ryriena New Member Past Donor

I actually think you could be a journalist my dads cousin is a political journalist while his other cousin is the first woman judge Harris county has in its district. I love them both and they where the ones to inspire me to love politics just as much as they do. The poltical writer thinks like me as well it's great to see myself at an old age... Lmao It is amazing that she met all these poltical leaders over the years like Karl Rove whom she dislikes a lot to senator Ineuo (spelling?).

15. katzgar

katzgar Banned

the process is just part of being young, enjoy it.................and get a job

16. Independant thinker

What will he do, be a university lecturer? I hope so. We need some impartiality there.

17. mister magoo

mister magoo New Member

Read my signature...I dont know how anyone could be passionate about politics...or admire any politician, as you
    seem to be looking for one to admire....they are all in it for the lurks and perks...

18. Casper

Casper Banned at Members Request Past Donor

I would suggest that for one you need to realize that there is no ad never has been and perfect system, all have their flaws and all have their pluses so do not be so enamored with one system the moment you find that system has some things about it that you agree with, weigh the system on it's entirety and compare different systems to see which truly offers the best benefits to its citizens. That said, never forget human nature, while some systems my sound grand in theory when they are applied human nature has a nasty habit of subverting the ideals of the political philosophy for it's own gains.

19. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

I don't know whether this addresses your specific question or not, but since you asked I'll answer.

Since you asked what you should or shouldn't latch on to.

From Ecclesiastes -
    "Vanity of vanities," says the Preacher, "Vanity of vanities! All is vanity"

Life is ephemeral, there is nothing you should latch on to here.

We're only here as a transition point, and a short one at that. A very sobering truth we all need to learn is that life is transitory.

So having laid the heavy stuff on you....

Do what makes you happy.

20. AboveAlpha

AboveAlpha Well-Known Member

I had a Professor who gave me some advice I cling to and his advice was people who attempt to be Neutral and have no opinion as they look at anything and observe it whether it be a work of art or literature or a Political system are people who are simply lying to themselves.

They look at something and say....Oh that's nice or Oh that's fine. My Professor said...NO! A person should say THAT'S BAD!! Or say...THIS IS GOOD!

It's fine to be open and look at something at first without a preconcieved notion of whether you like it or don't like it.

But once you have looked at it or at many things you should make a comparison and decide ALL ON YOUR OWN....what YOU BELIEVE TO BE GOOD OR BAD OR INSUFFICIENT OR AVERAGE OR WANTING OR LACKING OR FANTASTIC!!!

If YOU personally allow others to tell you what is good and what is bad then your just a DRONE and spouting the thoughts and opinions of others.

This is a simplistic example but take BEER for instance.

You have a few beers in front of you and you taste each one cleansing your palate after each taste and you can tell IMMEDIATELY which one's you like and which one's you don't like.

Then comes along some supposed BEER EXPERT who tells you you should like #4 Beer because of this or that and not like #1 Beer because of this or that....but #1 Beer was the beer YOU LIKED BEST!!!

Then after you tell this to the EXPERT he tells you that yes at first #4 tastes bitter but it is an AQUIRED TASTE!!

Hey....if a person was to eat a piece of DOG S#!# enough times they could AQUIRE A TASTE FOR LABRADOR!!

Point is....make your own way....don't let anyone tell you there is only one way.

AboveAlpha

21. RevAnarchist

RevAnarchist New Member Past Donor

Its difficult not to fall in love eh? Impossible is a better word. So as with people the best we can do is be careful of who we fall for! The only way I have found to resist falling in love is something you touched on. The pale blue dot. We are all citizens of THAT 'government'. When I consider that everything that we know and love is on that one little pixel, nationalistic things that were once so important fade into insignificance. When I force myself to admit to the reality that we are all citizens of the world nationalistic concerns seem a lot less important, but world concerns take their place. That is as it should be, eh? I hope that helps~reva

22. RevAnarchist

RevAnarchist New Member Past Donor

I agree with you that it is difficult to separate oneself from taking sides. Its much more difficult for me a citizen of the USA to bury the pride that comes with that citizenship. National pride taken to extremes is what led to the rise of Nazi Germany of the late 30's and 40's. I see horrifying hints of parallels of the 'demonically' charged world of 1934 and today in almost every international news cast. However there are also good signs. I hope this time the good keeps the bad at bay. reva

23. Greataxe

Greataxe Well-Known Member Past Donor

welcome

If you are so enamored with French liberal policies, then I'd study Islam, as this politcal and religious system will soon overtake France and most of Western
    Europe.

24. Independant thinker

I find the Christian Right disturbing. In Australia when I was a kid, people used to disparage religion and laugh at America. Now a lot of people are Christian , but not in a good way. Instead of following Jesus, they've developed a finger pointing, scapegoating culture (more like anti-christianity imho). It's as similar to Political Correctness as Nazism was similar to Bolshevism.