Theory of Time?

Discussion in 'Science' started by upside-down cake, Aug 27, 2015.

1. upside-down cake

upside-down cake Well-Known Member

The experiment that showed that one clock in space runs slower than one on earth is probably famous by now, but I always wondered if there wan't something wrong with this interpretation of time...

To me, it seems like our concept of time is anchored on the physical machination we call a clock. It's basically matter and energy. To me, I felt that saying this machination was measuring time is flawed. Rather, it is the reference we use to set time to a specifc standard. It seems like the concept of time is aritifical. However, with the two-clock experiment, people believed that time slows down in space.

I think this is a false interpretation because I think what we are seeing is that matter and energy move slower out in space than on earth. The reasons for this could be as simplistic as wondering why a human being would run slower in water versus on land. Matter and energy in different environments is affected differently. To me, the clock does not represent time and time does not exist in and of itself, but is a concept of relative proportion between matter and energy and momentum. That is to say that time is machinations of matter and energy over a particular span of existence. Time is what we call that span, but when things slow down, speed up, or distort in certain areas, this is not time slowing, speeding, or distorting, it is the machinations of matter and energy that is being distorted. It also may be that the illusion of fluctuating or distorting time is merely relative since the two-clock experiment would have concluded not that clocks move differently on space versus earth, but that matter and energy- no matter where they are- all move on an independent time rate. That is to say that time for me moves faster or slower than for you, and the ground beneath us moves different, still.

That's it. Just my thoughts...

2. contrails

contrails Active Member

I agree, what we think of as 'time' doesn't exist. Nobody has ever experienced, much less measured, time. Time is nothing more than how we perceive change in the world around us.

3. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

If our perceptions of time slow more and more as we approach the speed of light and finally stop entirely once we reach it, doesn't this lead to a paradox, since having no time would make motion and change nonexistent and then how could you have gotten to the speed of light in the first place?

Zeno revisited.

4. AboveAlpha

AboveAlpha Well-Known Member

It is actually Space-Time because one cannot exist without the other.

The Clocks Experiment used Atomic Clocks and there is a new experiment using the most precise Atomic Clock available.

LINK....http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/tdm/clock/clock_overview.html

The Two Clock Experiment is not only verified but we must constantly adjust the clocks on board U.S. GPS Satellites on a daily basis because of Time Dilation.

If we did not adjust these GPS Satellite Clocks daily GPS would not work.

AboveAlpha

5. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Granny says God invented time...
    :grandma:
    ... so's ever'thin' wouldn't happen at once.

DennisTate and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Nightmare515

Nightmare515 Ragin' Cajun Staff Member Past Donor

This sort of thing used to boggle my mind too and leave me with a few headaches every once and awhile. I understood that the time experiments were accurate I just couldn't quite figure out how they knew that. Like if I were in space would my watch on my wrist literally tick slower? If I were travelling near the speed of light would I personally observe my watch ticking slower?

No, the watch will tick at the same rate as it would on Earth but time itself would actually be going slower. But in my personal frame of reference aboard my space ship I would still see my watch ticking by normally because it's mechanical, it's not measuring anything its just ticking like it was programmed to do. The hands on your watch don't know you are traveling in a spaceship near the speed of light, it can't sense that.

Another thought experiment is this. Say you were traveling in a spaceship going near the speed of light and you were able to magically have a camera watching people back on Earth proving you with instantaneous live coverage of life on Earth. What would you see? Would the people on Earth be moving around as if you pressed the fast forward button on the camera? Questions like this are where we run into paradox's because you literally can't have an instant magical camera on Earth providing you with live feed. It takes signals time to reach you so whatever you see would indeed be in the past.

I love these sort of questions. When folks think about space travel we tend to believe that our biggest hurdles are our own propulsion limitations prohibiting us from going fast enough to get anywhere. But relativity is another huge problem that we have to take into account. Us developing a super fast spaceship traveling at near the speed of light will present an even bigger problem via relativity that we also must take into account.

7. DarkDaimon

DarkDaimon Well-Known Member

There seems to be some confusion about time dilation when traveling at relativistic speeds. Here's how it works.

As your speed approaches the speed of light, your time slows down. You don't observe your time slowing down because everything traveling at your speed, including your brain, has had its time slowed, so your watch would tick just as fast as it was before, to YOU. Now, if your watch sent out a radio pulse every second, an outside observer would see the pulse get slower and slower as your speed approached the speed of light.

So why does this happen? To answer that, I am going to have to backtrack a little and explain relative speed. Say you are on a train going 100 kph and you threw a ball at 80 kph toward the front of the train, to an outside observer, the ball is now traveling at 180 kph. If you threw the ball at 80 kph toward the back of the train, to an outside observer, the ball is now traveling at 20 kph. Well, Einstein thought about this and realized that if speed is relative how could we truly measure speed? There had to be some constant to measure speed against. That constant was the speed of light.

So we know now that the speed of light in a vacuum is always 299,792,458 meters per second and nothing can go faster, but there was a problem. Say you are traveling on a spaceship at 299,792,000 m/s and you shot a gun at 1,000 m/s towards the front of the spaceship, that means that the bullet would be traveling at 299,793,000 m/s which is faster than the speed of light! This would be impossible since nothing can exceed the speed of light, yet to you, the bullet still travels at 1000 m/s. So what happened?

If the velocity of the bullet cannot exceed the speed of light, then its velocity has to be slowed somehow. Remember that velocity is distance divided by time (v=d/t). Since the only two parameters that affect velocity is distance and time, one of those must be changed and that would be time. By time slowing 99.9998% it is increasing the time it takes for the bullet to travel 1000 meters thus slowing the bullet down enough that is doesn't go faster than the speed of light. Since everyone and everything on board the spaceship is traveling at the same speed, all of their time is slowed by the same amount so no one notices anything different. To an outside observer though, it will look like the bullet is barely moving.

8. OSO

OSO New Member

Time is entirely a construct of the human mind. We have named it so we must know how it works. Like everything once we name it we figure it out, which is what makes humans so different, our imagination. Let's say time is a representation of thought, this would in fact mean that without thought it would not exist. So, the question then becomes, why do we think of things relative to time? Is it possible to move or even think without an adjustment for time? Maybe, if we really think outside this box we would realize that our existence could be relative to a much smarter force. Now we just need to name it, then figure it out. At least, this is how I see it.

9. DennisTate

DennisTate Well-Known Member Past Donor

Granny was onto something quite important........ Time seems to be an invented thing............ it seems to have been invented somewhat like a car or boat or jet..... .to get students from point A to point B and back again......... Intelligence coming into existence in fundamental or nearly fundamental energy essentially an eternity in the past....... has caused that intelligence to develop something along the line of a sense of responsibility............. to teach the students, the invented life forms, better and better and better ways of thinking and viewing their place in the universe -multiverse.

http://www.near-death.com/reincarnation/experiences/mellen-thomas-benedict.html#a05

10. AboveAlpha

Actually....Quantum Mechanics shows us everything is happening at the same time.

We just do not have the ability to percieve time running concurently as we can only percieve time running in a linear fashion....but in reality time is concurrent.

AboveAlpha

11. DennisTate

DennisTate Well-Known Member Past Donor

This sounds almost identical to what I just read here.......

http://www.near-death.com/science/research/time.html

When Thomas Sawyer uses the term "heaven" I think if he had had a background in theoretical physics he might have said "higher dimension of space - time??"

www.CarbonBias.blogspot.ca/

12. AboveAlpha

The thing is it is IMPOSSIBLE to get any space craft or physical object to be traveling anywhere near the speed of light.

The faster any Space Craft or Object travels though normal Space-Time the greater the increase in it's MASS.

Because of this the energy requirements necessary for moving say a 1 Metric Ton Space Craft through normal Space-Time must dramatically increase exponentially as the Mass of the Space Craft increases as it would begin to approach the spped of light.

Thus there is no possible way to achieve the necessary energy requirements to move a space craft that is 1 metric ton from say .5 c to .75 c.....never mind having a gun to shoot from it.

This is why any Faster than Light Travel can only be achieved not by some system of propulsion but rather by WARPING OR FOLDING SPACE TIME.

When this is done you are actually changing Space-Time Geometry to change the physical distance between two points or in a Warp Drive you are creating a warp Bubble to allow a craft to FALL toward a specific direction or point in space-time thus again you are changing the actual Space-Time Geometry.

AboveAlpha...p.s....NASA is currently developing a WARP DRIVE...for real.

13. 10A

10A Chief Deplorable Past Donor

It's not a paradox since anything with mass can't reach the speed of light.

Even then, the speed limit is relative. No matter how fast you go, no matter how much fuel you burn, you'll always measure the speed of light the same.