Abbas's Speech at UN

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by xavierphoenix, Sep 30, 2015.

1. xavierphoenix

xavierphoenix New Member

It turned out Abbas didn't drop a bombshell at UN speech today such as dissolving PA and turning the keys back to Israel which is disappointing . In the speech Abbas noted Palestine as state under occupation(he's partially correct it's territory under occupation) saying this means Israel has full responsibilities as occupying power. He also stated that PA was not obligated to follow agreements signed as a result of Oslo Accords due to settlement construction, Israel refusing to commit to agreements signed with PA, and refusing to release prisoners. He also noted “ Israel insists on continuing its destruction of the two-state solution and on entrenchment of two regimes on the ground,” he charged. “An apartheid regime that is currently imposed on the territory of the state of Palestine and against the Palestinian people on the one hand, and another regime of privileges and protection to the Israeli settlers on the other hand.” However, this declaration will likely have little effect, as this didn't change situation on the ground in the West Bank as dissolving the PA and handing the keys back to Israel would do. Within the next couple months there probably will be another round of peace negotiations as reportedly three weeks ago Abbas met with former minister Meir Sheetrit to pass a message to Bibi that he could like to meet with him. However the idea was shot down by the American administration. Abbas also wrote an opinion peace in Huffington Post speech calling for multinational approach in negotiations for a Palestinian state. Most of Israel's political parties including center Yesh Atid(with Yair Lapid recently met with former Saudi official for setting up a regional peace summit based on Arab peace initiative) and Kulanu along with right wing Yisrael Beitenu support regional negotiations for a Palestinian state which coincides with Abbas's Huffington Post article. It's important to note allegedly in discussion with Isaac Herzog head of Zionist Union for a national unity gov Bibi offered a real commitment to enter into genuine negotiations with the Palestinians with negotiations headed by Herzog and Tzipi Livni. Herzog didn't agree to this deal partially because he couldn't assure Bibi deal would be kept if he lost upcoming Labor primaries. While disappointing Abbas didn't resign and have PA dissolved handing keys back to Israel, as his speech effectively keeps the status quo in the West Bank, signs like Abbas supporting regional negotiations and attempting to meet with Bibi, it's also a good sign that Bibi allegedly offered to get into genuine negotiations with Palestinians negotiations led by Livni and Herzog both of which PA trusts.
    http://www.timesofisrael.com/abbas-...r-occupation-no-longer-bound-by-oslo-accords/
    http://www.timesofisrael.com/in-abbass-anticipated-speech-no-bombshells-or-shockers/
    http://www.timesofisrael.com/lapid-and-saudi-prince-powwow-about-regional-peace-summit/
    http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...rzog-elections-new-year-victory-surprise.html

I would hope Bibi doesn't wan to be one as Ruth Dayan, Moshe Dayan's widow put it the one that caused Zionism to run its course

"Dayan is rich with memories of the Israel of then and gets furious when I ask her to compare it with the Israel of now: “We built this country inch by inch, and we lost so many lives. We built public and social institutions, schools, factories. What’s going on today is awful. They’re ruining this country. I am a proud Israeli. I’ve lived through every war, endured every moment of suffering, but I never stopped believing in peace. I lost friends and family members. I’m a peacemaker, but the current Israeli government does not know how to make peace. We move from war to war, and this will never stop. I think Zionism has run its course.”
    http://www.newsweek.com/moshe-dayans-widow-ruth-zionist-dream-has-run-its-course-68099

2. Heinrich

Heinrich Active Member

All Agreements with the Israelis are now null and void
    What took the Palestinians so long to scrap the Oslo Accords and all agreements since with the Israelis, it has to be wondered. For 48 years the Palestinians have been subjected to periodic massacres in Gaza, assassinations, confiscation of 70% of their land in the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, restrictions on their movements, humiliating checkpoints, arrests of children and their interrogation without the presence of parents or legal council, imprisonment of children, nighttime terror raids on homes when youths are beaten and property is stolen, stoning and murder by Jewish hilltop settlers, refusal of permission to build homes while illegal settlements reserved for Jews multiply without cease, robbing all good agricultural land and water, and daily persecution in their own land. The Palestinian Authority in the West Bank looked like collaborators, agreeing to police their own poverty in return for shekels from Israel. The time for useless talk has finally come to an end.