Black Americans and their strange names

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by Sab, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Sab

Sab Active Member

What is it with Black Americans and their strange names? The Jamals and Shaniqas, the Jamarcus's and the la treenas. Lashawn etc etc.

2. arborville

arborville Well-Known Member

"Strange" is such a subjective term. Perhaps the names are strange to you because you're not accustomed to them. Jamal and LaShawn are not odd names at all to me.

3. CKW

CKW Well-Known Member

One of the little girls i teach in Sunday school is named MOD EDIT>>>member's request<<<. Why have a spelling so convoluted? Why make it such a chore to figure out the spelling? Why make it hard for someone reading a future resume? Why make it uncomfortable for the future employer who can't figure out the proper pronunciation of her name when calling to schedule an interview? The name does nothing to help her.

4. arborville

We live in a multicultural society in which there are all kinds of names. There are people from India, China, Nigeria, Russia, Nicaragua, Mexico, etc. It seems like a simple task to ask someone how do you pronounce your name. Employers have to do this already, anyway, as the workforce is diverse.

5. Sab

Sab Active Member

Why do blacks make these stupid names up. The counties above have long established names with spellings that anyone from their own countries can easily work out. Also names mean something in their own lanaguges. These black names are just random sounds. Maybe they do it so we can tell who is from a single parent black family and can just toss their resume in the bin.

6. Heinrich

Heinrich Active Member

Undoubtedly, some employers do exactly that and do not have to bother with an interview. Since you come from England you will be familiar with how your government propped-up a sectarian Protestant province in the north of Ireland where anyone with the name Timothy or Pat would never get a job interview.

7. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Often it is a combination of syllables from the parents' first names, at least in my area.

8. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

It is simple, the "parents" want to make sure the kids stay on the government tit, and never get a respectable profession outside Rap, and Sports.
    Who on Earth would hire a Lashawn, or Latisha outside perhaps Mcdonalnds.

9. arborville

Any employer who tosses resumes into the bin because of an ethnic sounding name that he deems stupid is discriminating. The problem here is with that employer who could be subjecting their company to discrimination lawsuits. The hiring manager should probably be fired on that basis, as well as for making a hiring decision based on an inane (and offensive) reason.

10. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

That is ridiculous, ever hear of branding? You think a name has no meaning? Tell that to people who make millions by naming things appropriately. When you give a child a retarded name, prepare to face the consequences.

11. Heinrich

Heinrich Active Member

McDonald's probably wont hire anyone who cannot spell the company name properly either.

12. arborville

Are you aware of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Civil Rights Act of 1991? Branding is fine. Discriminating based on ethnic sounding names is not and could result in a discrimination lawsuit, especially if there is evidence of a pattern of this type of behavior.

13. Independant thinker

Independant thinker Banned

thats right! A name should be as anglo as possible.

Transmen do the same wacky thing. I'm like der, you won't get a job because they'll think you are foriegn.

- - - Updated - - -

He already has a job with oxford dictionary.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so a lifetime of LOSING lawsuits makes it all ok?

just call them Jane and skip the hassle.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with the untermench on this one.

14. arborville

More than 638 million dollars was doled out in class action discrimination settlements in 2013. I don't know the breakdown for each type of discrimination but it would be prudent for an employer not to risk loss of revenue. Then there is the bad press associated with a discrimination claim, that can be the death knell to any attempt to create a wholesome brand. The company has at least as much to lose here.

15. Independant thinker

Independant thinker Banned

For every suit that's won, thousands are lost.

You are missing the point. Is Fairy Puff Flower Child, who's locked in constant court battles and unemployment going to be happier, or is jane smith, who got a job worth having and met a nice man who's she's marrying and then her name will be Jane Williams?

16. arborville

Fairy Puff isn't an ethnic name. I'm saying that Jamea or Jamal should have just as much of an opportunity as Jane or John and if that's not the case, then it should change. The country elected a guy named Barack Obama, so I believe that we're moving in the right direction. I have an ethnic name and I've worked at really terrific jobs, with plenty of other people who have names representative of various ethnicities. This has been the case at multiple companies. In 2015, this shouldn't be an issue.

17. DevilMayhem666

DevilMayhem666 Member

You are obessed with black people.

18. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

That may well be discrimination, but I bet it happens every day. I recall reading about a study that black school children with crazy names were called on less by their teachers. So you can argue that they are getting an inferior education because the teacher either doesn't want to bother pronouncing a crazy name, or has prejudged someone with a crazy name.

I thought a lot about what to name my kids since I wanted them to have names that would fit better and would make for a more "professional" sounding name. Parents who give their kids crazy made up names are purposefully doing the opposite. They are trying to give a big middle finger to white society but are really giving a big middle finger to their kids and their future chances.

19. Sally Vater

Sally Vater Banned

20. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Well-Known Member

Many of those names are alright. I can see a few of those hitting character limits though.

21. MrNick

MrNick Banned

I have no idea, if you go to Africa - plenty of black Africans have normal names like "Charles Taylor" or "Jamie Anderson" etc... Even when they use tribal names they're nowhere close to American African names like Shaniqua or Tomiqua etc..

I think the names were the result of illiteracy then the names became a trend..

Perhaps they were attempting to copy the French at one point? thinking a name like LaMarkus sounded Creole or something?

22. Esau

Esau Well-Known Member

Strange no. Dorothy, dick and Duncan are strange names. Grate thread btw

23. arborville

Why would you believe that people make such a personal decision to stick it to anyone, instead of for other personal reasons? I've agreed with you on other issues. However, we seem to disagree on the subject of ethnic names.

24. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

Just an observation that the rise in super ethnic made up names really started in the 60's. It wasn't some ancient tradition, so It seems to coincide with the civil rights movement. I don't think you can argue the names are for the kid's benefit.

25. arborville

I guess you didn't read my previous post about my ethnic name. It did not impede my education. In fact, I was double-promoted while in elementary school. However, I'm certain that my parents would have brought the issue to the school system, if needed. It has not prevented me from having a satisfying and lucrative profession. When discrimination does occur, the onus to change should be on the person who is violating another person's rights.

I do believe that the names started in the 60's. However, I would not describe the desire to claim rights and cultural expression as sticking it to people. My mom chose my name because everyone else in her family had very traditional names, which she considered to be bland. Other people choose names that are blends of the parents names or names that they just like. The name Nia, which means purpose is somewhat popular. I think it's cute.

. There was a black is beautiful movement in the 60's. Why? People were being denigrated because of their race.