Why Do Muslims Praise Allah?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by GalileoSmith, Oct 9, 2015.

1. GalileoSmith

GalileoSmith Member

This began on the Net with a Muslim but it probably could apply to many religions. The original statement I heard was that Allah requires praise from his follows because he gave mankind countless gifts. I then made the point that if Allah requires praise for the gifts then the gifts are being used to hold the follow hostage in a kind of limited manner. I said that if I were to give someone $100 with the stipulation that I receive a thank you every time the person and I met, not only would the $100 not exactly be a gift, but I would consider myself a pretty shallow person. The Muslim then stated that Allah doesn't care about receiving praise or being thanked, that the praise was for the benefit of the follower, making him feel better. My response was that if Allah does not care about the praise, then there is no good reason why the praise should make the follower feel better. As for appreciating life and all the good things it entails, that requires no god and of course no praise.

So, what is the specific reason for praising Allah?

2. Goomba

Goomba Well-Known Member

Because God alone is worthy of worship.

3. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member Past Donor

Because allay does things for his followers he commands that you thank him for it out of respect.

4. Jonsa

Jonsa Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why worship and pray to any god?

Apparently all the Abrahamic religions espouse the notion that the mind of god cannot be known, yet millions have died because somebody believed they actually knew what their god wanted.

Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, etc. - its all the same fundamental belief in their own particular brand of righteousness.

5. Goomba

Goomba Well-Known Member

Because only God is worthy of worship. Atheists are too arrogant of a people to bow their head to God. This is one reason they are always angry and smug. They are akin to teenagers; except instead of rebelling against society, they reject God.

6. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

your right, only God is worthy of worship, it would be arrogant of people not to bow down to the Flying Spaghetti Monster for without him, they would not exist

praise FSM
    ramen

7. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member

You know, us Theists understand this innately, and Atheists always seem to come to the conclusion that they are superior to God. Enjoy that, I would never trade my views for yours. The experience of worship is one of most fulfilling, each and every day. I could never worship myself, I know myself far too well.

Be of good cheer,
    Zorro

8. GalileoSmith

GalileoSmith Member

I am looking for an answer to my original question from both the theist viewpoint and a more objective viewpoint. I am trying to put an element of logic into the rationale behind praying. Does Allah want or even demand praying, and if so, why? It would seem that if Allah has no interest in receiving prayer and praise personally, then prayer becomes a waste of time for Allah and the praying person. I am going on the notion that being grateful, feeling fortunate, etc., does not require that it be vented like steam in the form of prayer.

9. Goomba

Goomba Well-Known Member

The FSM isn't God. God is the Creator, not the creation. "Flying" is a creation. "Spaghetti" is a creation. "Monster" is a creation.

Do you get my drift?

10. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member

I know, I'm working with you here. Scripture tells us two things that help reveal God to us, the natural world and the Word.

I'm very fortunate to live in a beautiful undeveloped area all wrapped around a wild river and canyon system. I love long distance trail running and rock climbing. Every time I roll out on the trail or I approach the rocks, I feel the same sense of worship that I feel in church. It's deep, its holy, it's gratifying and satisfying. I feel a deep sense of appreciation for Him that made it.

There is more of course, but I don't know how to put it into words. I think it has to be experienced to be understood.

11. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member Past Donor

A couple of us have answered it already and there are multiple passages in the Koran that tell you to praise Allah because he blessed his followers.

12. GalileoSmith

GalileoSmith Member

I get it; the rapture and the elation. That transcends outside of religions. But my question is; why does that require prayer? Does God need to hear the prayer? If God doesn't care about the praise, then giving praise in the form of prayer becomes hollow.

13. Goomba

Goomba Well-Known Member

Because He alone is worthy of worship. We are His creation and His servants. Worship does not simply mean bowing our heads to Him. We worship Him through our actions and interactions in our daily life. We put our trust in Him, because He alone is in control of everything. We fear only Him, because He is the Master of the universe, and nothing happens outside His Will.

Since life is merely a test, submitting to God and His Will allows us to be raised to a high status in this world and the next. Fear, anxiety, and worries dissipate away when it is realized that God is the only true reality.

Everything we have (from eyesight to sanity), is due to Him alone, and this is why we are grateful towards Him.

14. GalileoSmith

GalileoSmith Member

My question is not about what the Koran instructs, but about the specific reasons for the prayer. I'll start with this; Does Allah demand prayer, and if so, why? For example; does it make Allah feel good? Is it perhaps the cost Allah demands for giving life?

15. Auggie

Auggie New Member Past Donor

God is a blackmailer. "ROBERTS NEEDS MIRACLE: Oral Roberts needs about $4.5 million in 'quick money' from followers or God won't let him live past March, the evangelist says. (1987)

The amazing part, is that he collected the money.

16. Auggie

Auggie New Member Past Donor

That was really well stated. I don't believe in your God but respect your right to believe what ever you want. I think more people would be more tolerant of religion if people explained it as eloquently as you.

17. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

You praise Allah as a recognition of his perfection, his beneficence and his mercy. Allah is generous without stint and bestows his blessings on all, asking nothing in return. Allah does not demand, require or even ask for your praise, rather it is an automatic response when an imperfect creature apprehends a perfect creation. When you see a perfect sunset, a beautiful woman, a kind and gentle ruler among his people so then you see Allah and your heart is glad, what else is there to do but praise Him?

18. GalileoSmith

GalileoSmith Member

So the praise has nothing to do with Allah, per se, but about the feelings the Muslim feels when he or she feels overwhelmed in a positive sense by something in the environment. So then I would assume that if the Muslim feels enthralled by his surroundings, but is not the kind of person who feels the need to give praise, then Allah would be okay with that and there would be no downside, including the time beyond the mortal life.

19. WillReadmore

WillReadmore Well-Known Member

??? Are you really that totally confused?

Christians praise god, too. Suggesting this is some big confusing Muslim thing reflects on you more than on any religion.

20. GalileoSmith

GalileoSmith Member

Well, I'm sure glad you got me pegged. But as I said in my first post, the question began with a conversation with a Muslim, but probably could apply to many religions. Aside from that, you are figuring I have some negative motive. My motive comes from what seemed to be a disconnect I came upon in the aforementioned conversation, a disconnect having to do with praising a higher being who, I was told, was not interested in praise. But thanks for you input.

21. WillReadmore

WillReadmore Well-Known Member

God's degree of interest in praise is not some differentiating issue.

In both religious, praise to God is at least in part a communication between believers of recognition and affirmation as well as a witness to others. Plus, it's an organizing principle for believers in their daily lives.

My experience is that most believers in any religion have not particularly thought through every aspect of what they do wrt their religion.

22. fireballfl

fireballfl New Member

Why do Christians praise God? Allah is mentioned in the bible quite a bit, especially in the Old Testament.

23. GalileoSmith

GalileoSmith Member

You are asking me? That was my question. But I am not asking it from a theistic viewpoint so much as an analytical one. And I don't believe that "Allah" is mentioned in the Bible.

24. fireballfl

fireballfl New Member

Leads to some interesting theories. Allah is arabic for God. Allah is mentioned alot in the bible.

Genesis 24:41; 26:28;
    Leviticus 5:1;
    Numbers 5:21, 23, 27;
    Deuteronomy 29:12, 14, 19, 20, 21; 30:7;
    1 Kings 8:31;
    2 Chronicles 6:22; 34:24;
    Nehemiah 10:29;
    Job 31:30;
    Psalms 10:7; 59:12;
    Proverbs 29:24;
    Isaiah 24:6;
    Jeremiah 23:10; 29:18; 42:18; 44:12;
    Ezekiel 16:59; 17:13, 16, 18, 19;
    Daniel 9:11;
    Zechariah 5:3

25. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

God loves all men, all his children, even those who do not know him, let alone those who do not praise. When any man feels uplifted that is praise enough for God, but the believer feels an additional gladness for he knows where the feeling comes from. Praising God is neither a requirement nor an offering, it is a celebration