Are Racism and Sexism Natural?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by ibshambat, Oct 9, 2015.

1. ibshambat

ibshambat Banned

There are many people who think that racism and sexism are natural. As a father, I know that not to be the case. My daughter's first social interaction, at age 1, was coming up to a little Malaysian girl and giving her a hug. I have seen children play happily across racial and gender lines. If little children can be wiser than us, then boy do we have a lot to learn.

Are racism and sexism natural? It is natural to identify with a group of which one is a part. It is not natural however to see one as being superior than the other, or that one should be the leader and that the other should be a slave. To find out what is natural to humanity, study children. And then you will know what is naturally human and what is a result of ideology or conditioning.

There are differences between men and women, and there are genetic differences between races. That does not make one rightly the ruler and the other rightly the servant. Recognizing differences is neither racism nor sexism; it is reality. Where the whole exercise goes wrong is if someone decides that men should rule women or that white people should rule over black people. There is no room for this; both black people and women are capable of everything of which white men are capable, and discriminating against them is wrong.

Not everything that little children do is right, and there is bullying behavior in children. It however appears to be independent of race or gender. But the idea that racism and sexism are natural is transparently wrong. If it were natural, then children would show these behaviors. They don't.

One should not be blind to the differences between men and women; but neither should one be blind to the differences among women and the differences among men. Some things are gender, others are not. With men and women, there is the emotional and sexual nature, which is gendered, and the mind and the will which both men and women have in common. The logical solution is full equality for women in matters demanding the mind and the will – and women and men being able to pursue mutually fulfilling relationships to actualize their emotional and sexual nature and produce and sustain new life. Some may regard this stance as being sexist. I regard it as being merely reasonable.

In short, there is a lot that adults stand to learn from children; and from observing children we discover what is natural and what is not. Children are neither sexist nor racist, which means that these things are not natural to humanity.

We also stand to learn a lot from history. In the ancient world, there was no racism. The white Romans, the dark-skinned Egyptians, the Hindus and many others got along and traded as equals. During the Middle Ages, the white man was at the bottom of the world. The white man rose to prominence by virtue of science and technology; and, having known any number of scientists and technology professionals, I've seen them as being some of the least racist people I've ever known.

Far be it from me to support political correctness. Political correctness, as one Jewish liberal lady told me, is an embarrassment to liberalism. I speak from the position of simple reason. Men and women have the sexual and emotional nature, which is gendered, and mind and will, where they are equal. Both deserve constructive fruition; both deserve to be honored and let free to produce fruit.

With race, there are definite genetic differences; but none of them result logically in the idea that one races should rule and the others be ruled. They are different; however there is more in common among them than there are differences among them. A black person can do everything that a white person can do; and George Washington Carver, Oprah Winfrey, Michael Jordan, Colin Powell, Barack Obama and any number of others show this to be the case.

For some time in America the white schools and the black schools were held separate from one another under the rubric of “Separate but equal.” It didn't work; the white schools were better than the black schools. I propose this idea: Different but equal. And I mean equal for real. If in the South you can get as close as you want for as long as you aren't too high – and if in the North you can get as high as you want for as long as you don't get too close – I propose that black people should be as close as they want to be and as high as they want to be. I am very close to any number of wonderful black people whom I am proud to call my friends. And I am supportive of their career goals.

So no, racism and sexism are not natural, and even if they were we have the mind and the will to stand up to such things. See people as people and treat the person of the next race in the same way as you would treat the person of your own race. The result will not only be social peace, but also a noble and rightful arrangement that works for everyone.

2. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

What if someone doesn't want to oppress anyone and wants to treat everyone equally but wants to impose a form of race or gender segregation for the betterment of humanity? I mean just because it is racially or sexually discriminatory does not necessarily mean it is not fair or equal. What then? Would you consider that 'racism' or 'sexism' ?

Take for example those old laws that prohibited interracial marriages, or what many governments did just after the first world war that said "only people of Greek ethnicity can live in Greece and only people of Turkish ethnicity can live in Turkey". Or they used to have separate boy's and girl's boarding schools. racism? sexism?

You know they still have separate bathrooms in most public places for men and women in America. Would you consider that sexism?

Does racism and sexism just mean it is discriminatory, or does it have to be bad too?
    If I'm only willing to date white or asian girls, but not African or Pakistani, does that make me racist? If you are only willing to date and have sex with women are you sexist?
    Marriage is an economic partnership, after all.

There would be no racism if everyone lived in separate countries, which was basically the case a long time ago. Wherever one large wave of migration has entered into another area there have been wars and conflict. Will we ignore the lessons of history? Do we think we can do something and make it turn out differently now? Such is what the leaders in the Soviet Union thought. Such arrogance of humanity, it is playing with fire.

Look, if we just ignore something and try to suppress it, it could well result in a volcano of repressed problems and conflict erupting in the distant future. Are you sure this is a path you want to try to go down? Where will this path ultimately lead society? What if things don't work out the way you think or hope? That could leave society and the world stuck in a bad position. Example: just look at the civil war in the Ukraine, and Ukrainians and Russians are not even that different!

I'm not saying everyone can't or shouldn't be treated equally.

The result will be an actual loss in diversity over time, as more people become mixed and everyone loses their unique cultural identities. Do you think that's a good thing?

3. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member Past Donor

Racism is natural, everyone dislikes some group or another, but for many it doesn't appear until later in life as you have gained more experience with a group. It doesn't mean you discriminate but you do build up a mental dislike.

4. fireballfl

fireballfl New Member

Racism, bigotry, and sexism are all learned qualities. Remember, the hate starts at home at a very young age. No one is born to hate anyone else, it is a learned quality.

5. Independant thinker

Independant thinker Banned

If men weren't sexist, not many babies would be concieved.

We've seen this experiment in action...

The findings are as I say.

6. Spooky

It's why women wear make-up and pantyhose, not because they like it but because they know they want to please males.

7. Independant thinker

No, we like it.

AND we want to please males.

8. Spooky

To further prove my point, women are liars.

9. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

There is no shortage of opinions, research and studies in regards to racism and sexism. Despite that, there is no consensus as to the causes of it nor have I seen any empirical evidence to suggest that racism and sexism is a natural human trait. I see it as a conditioning brought about by familial and environmental factors, including misogyny.

10. Independant thinker

I'm not lying. We like our clothes and makeup for ourselves.

Of course we want male attention too.