Portugal, Elections and Government

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by Entrecampos, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Entrecampos

Entrecampos Newly Registered

I don't know why Portugal is lesser times in news that Greece, but well, I will tell some things that are important to understand the importance of this elections.
    In this month Portugal was in elections, and the results were the below:

PAF - 46% of Seats (like ND)
    PS - 38% of Seats (like Pasok)
    Left Bloc - 8% of Seats ( like SYRIZA)
    CDU - 7% of Seats (like KKE)
    PAN - 1% of Seats (Green Party)

Well, for the first time in Portugal history, the second party in votes will form government, after the election, in a coalition (PS+LB+CDU), this coalition was announced after elections.

Portugal had a FMI request loan, and after this, and after many austerity, Portugal will have a change in government.
    What will happen?

2. daddyofall

daddyofall Active Member

How do you know the left will govern the country? If they do, they'll hold the power for a couple of months, at best 2 years.

3. RFonseca

RFonseca New Member

Portuguese left-wing has toppled the government: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34779839

4 years of sacrifices and austerity measures are going to be thrown away in the next few months by this new fragile and irresponsible "coalition"... If this new government lasts for more than a year, I'll be surprised.

4. daddyofall

daddyofall Active Member

So will I, but Costa is hoping to get into the people's good graces and then blame the far left and right for his fall, hoping then he will get a majority.

5. RFonseca

RFonseca New Member

I doubt PS will get a majority if their government falls. In fact, I believe that, if this "coalition" of left-wing parties ends badly in less than a year, PAF will have an opportunity to blame the PS and try to get an absolute majority again - which mustn't be that hard because the proposals that the left-wing negotiated have serious risks of harming the economy, not to mention how fragile these agreements made yesterday are.

6. daddyofall

daddyofall Active Member

I agree, but Costa's only hope is that during this year he can somehow show that he indeed has an alternative policy than the right and that it will work, if only he had a stable majority (PS only) and then blame on both the left and right for his fall.

We'll see.