Should the US build a Military/Science Base On the Moon?

Discussion in 'Warfare / Military' started by MMC, Oct 19, 2015.

?

Should the US build a Military/Science base on the Moon?

1. Yes

36.4%
  2. No

45.5%
  3. Not sure

9.1%
  4. Bad Moon Rising

9.1%
  1. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

The US signed a Treaty to not put a Base upon the Moon. Should we still agree to a treaty that was made for a time in the past? Things today have changed. We are looking to send a Ship to Mars.

It is possible we could garner up some attention. Would it not be prudent to have a base on the Moon. As well as another Space Station built for Military purposes?

The Europeans would start crying along with Russia and several others. But any defenses and people elsewhere at least a chance for survival should the ME start lobbying around Nukes causing a chain reaction around the globe. Or if we are visited by others who some don't think are out there.

What say ye?

2. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

NASA did say we would be sending another Team to the Moon. I think it was by 2020. But it should be only Americans. No others.

3. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

You could fly many trips to the moon to drop off parts, and build a much more complex vessel than would be possible on Earth. No atmosphere and 1/6th the gravity = much easier to get off the thing. You might be able to have a thicker fuselage which shields from harmful radiation.

I don't support government space programs though, but it does make sense from the state's perspective.

4. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member Past Donor

5. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Mornin Steady Pie. [​IMG] I agree.....not to mention if they built a base on the Moon. They could launch a Space Station from there. Which would put the next one a little bit further out there. Closer to Mars and what they are planning with that Voyage.

6. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

We need weapons in space like Kurt Cobain needed a shotgun.

7. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Mornin OM. [​IMG] Naturally we would. What makes space any different than the space on our planet?

8. Oxymoron

Space means almost zero time to react to a strike, so imagine we put weapons in space and the Russians or Chinese follow, then M.A.D goes out the window.

9. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Think about what we are sending out now.....and if they should come across others. (life forms) Then get traced back to the Earth. At least we would have others that would have a survivability rating. Whereas others on the planet might not.

I would think any thing built on the Moon would require underground facilities.

10. Oxymoron

Now repeat that in human English please.

11. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Oh those Human English words give you some difficulty, huh. Not much up on English are you. I promise I didn't change any of their definitions. Just saying.

Obviously if one goes with the concept that there is other life out there, besides us. Then you should be able to fathom. What is being said. Especially about survival rates and defense.

12. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

I feel that if we can eventually terraform Mars into a place able to support human life, then it would define the next age of civilization. Mars citizens would demand complete autonomy, as being on a different planet tends to put one in a secessionist mood. Sovereignty is going from national to regional governments, just as it has gone from state to national governments. It will probably in time go to more substantive global government to solve international issues. It's important that we keep pushing government back by exploring the frontier. If we can provide another buffer in favor of decentralized government (global to... solar?), then it'll take decades or centuries for trade to pick up enough for a plan for an interplanetary government to take hold.

It sort of sucks that I won't be alive to see any of this, but I suppose you've got to be happy with what you've got. We've still got some time on Earth before it becomes a centralized (*)(*)(*)(*)hole.

13. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

I think they will need a space station in between Mars and Earth. Like everything else it will cost. Isn't the voyage to Mars a one way trip for those that will be onboard?

NASA was also talking about mining asteroids. With drones and Robotics. So resources will still be gained and developed.

14. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

That makes sense. So I seriously doubt the liberals/progressives would be aboard. :roflol:

But you could build a larger manned space craft on the moon than on Earth.

I wonder why Gene Roddenberry didn't think about that. In his book, "The Making of Star Trek" the Star Ship Enterprise was built in space the same way the International Space Station was built. They should have built it on the moon.

15. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Cmon now Apache. Thats why I included a science lab. [​IMG]

16. APACHERAT

Progressives no longer use science to fix the ills of society, they just make (*)(*)(*)(*) up hoping some day they get something right.

17. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it does allow them to spend a lil money. At least for tech and equipment. Plus they can be lured with tissue from other life forms for them to play with.

18. APACHERAT

Well I read that the ISS crew members ate their first green salad that all of the ingredients were grown on the ISS.

Does this mean we can expect Mexican illegal aliens stowing away on the Russians space shuttles so they can do the jobs that nobody wants to do like picking lettuce on the ISS ?

19. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Oh, 44 members they have going? 44 that wont be returning, huh?

NASA had plans back in the day for a base on the moon. It was also to be underground.

20. APACHERAT

Going underground would considerably cut the cost of building a station on the moon.

21. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

They would have no choice with all the debris that constantly bombards the moon. The problem comes in with that treaty we signed. As you know the Europeans would start crying Right away. Same with the Russians and Chinese.

They are not in a position to build anything up there. Other than the Russians and Chinese. So that's why we should just beat them to the punch. As none will be able to stop the Russians or Chinese. Should they attempt to do so.

22. APACHERAT

Not if the Russian were brought on board.

When the Cold War ended most thought there was no longer a need for NATO. But when Madeleine Albright convinced President Clinton to continue fighting the Cold War and to remain in NATO and also to expand NATO by bringing former Warsaw Pact nations into NATO so NATO would be butted up next to the Russian border. Madeleine Albright has a chip on her shoulder when it comes to the Soviets/Russians.

The Russian knew that NATO only had one purpose, to kill Russian soldiers so they asked if they could join NATO ? Bill Clinton told the Ruskies "NO way Jose." The endgame is seeing what we have today with Russia. It was Clinton policies that helped put Putin in power.

As for the chicoms, (*)(*)(*)(*) the chicoms.

23. AboveAlpha

AboveAlpha Well-Known Member

There is no reason to be building Military Bases on the Moon.

Plus it violates a treaty.

AboveAlpha

24. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Treaty was made before we put a man on the moon. It is outdated. Nor does the excuses of the Europeans back then. Mean anything now.

25. AboveAlpha

AboveAlpha Well-Known Member

There really is no reason to put a Military Base on the Moon.

We don't need it Militarily.

AboveAlpha