Happy thanksgiving to all members!!!!

Discussion in 'History and Culture' started by AboveAlpha, Nov 25, 2015.

1. AboveAlpha

AboveAlpha Well-Known Member

I would like to wish all members a Happy Thanksgiving!

Even if your not American and are a member from some other region of the world I feel it's important to wish everyone happiness, good health, a long life, a good sex life...LOL!!!....fortune and I hope you can all enjoy being with your family and friends on which ever holiday you celebrate that is similar to Thanksgiving in the U.S. and Canada.

When the Pilgrim's left Europe and landed in the New World at the very tip of Cape Cod in Massachusetts which is my home state at what is called Province Town....they realized that they needed to sail into the bay which the arm of Cape Cod surrounds and they landed at what would be called Plymouth Rock which is actually a large rock or boulder that comes out of the ground right on the shore.

These people left England for the purposes of religious freedom and a new life however they were poorly experienced and supplied to deal with the Massachusetts weather as in my state we have 4 seasons and summer can be incredibly hot and humid with temperatures that can easily break 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

The New England winters were also something these Pilgrims were certainly not ready for as the Gulf Streams warm waters flow from the Gulf of Mexico and around the tip of Florida and across the Atlantic to the U.K. and Ireland which allows those Isles relatively mild winters.

But here in Massachusetts the Pilgrims had to endure something they had never experienced that being a New England winter in all it's ferocity such as enduring Winter Hurricanes known as Nor'easter's which can dump 4 to 6 feet of snow over 48 hours and with 70 to 90 mph winds and blizzard whiteout conditions and wind chill factors between -20 F. to -50 F.......well many Pilgrims perished in such conditions.

If not for the help of the Wampanoag Indians the Pilgrims would have all died out. A member of the Wampanoag named Squanto lived with the colonists and acted as a middleman between the Pilgrims and Wampanoag also known as the Massasoit.

The Massasoit taught the Pilgrims how to survive in Massachusetts and how to place a fish in the ground and place corn kernels with it to fertilize the corn. They taught the Pilgrims many things and it was the Massasoit.....NOT THE EUROPEAN'S.....that supplied the vast majority of the food for what would become the FIRST THANKSGIVING DINNER!!!

The Massasoit brought Venison, Wild Turkey, Bear Meat, Corn, Cod Fish and many other things.

The Massasoit understood the land and nature that is America and America to this day is a land of plenty with enormous resources and hardy people who have over 400 years have learned FINALLY to respect the land.

I am very proud to say that because of sweeping environmental laws put into place in the United States in the 1960's and 1970's that there are more Trees growing in the United States than existed in the late 1600's!!!

Our rivers are so clean that not only do people fish, swim and recreate in them but our rivers are so clean that some are used as DRINKING WATER.

Animal Life has returned so strong that in my state of Massachusetts we actually have a problem of having too many of some animal species. Deer are so plentiful that the state is increasing the number a Hunter can harvest in a year and Doe permits are easy to get and I myself got a 10 point Buck as it is Bow Season.

After we banned the use of DDT which was a pesticide that caused the eggs of birds of prey to be to thin and thus they would break killing the chicks.....after the DDT ban....Birds of Prey once again fill the skies of America.

Just this morning in my back yard I saw a Bald Eagle grab a fish out of the pond and I also saw a Red Tailed Hawk and yesterday I saw a Peregrine Falcon.

Tomorrow morning early I will go Pheasant hunting as I always do on early Thanksgiving Morning and I always get 2 birds using a 12 Gauge shotgun using #6 Bird Shot.

The absolute beauty of the trees and rolling hills here is breathtaking and I have a spot that a childhood friend and I go to every Thanksgiving morning that was a farm that the children of the original Pilgrims built and they cleared over 100 acres of massive Oaks, Maples, Elms, White and Yellow Pines, White Birch, Black Walnut and so many other species of trees the list would take up the whole page....in order to have fields to plant in.

This farm continued in use until the 1960's and now many areas of the fields are overgrown but it is a great place for Pheasant, Turkey, Deer, Black Bear, Partridge.....and Mountain Lions.

Yes....you read me right.....MOUNTAIN LIONS!!!!

It put's a smile on my face to know that because American's had the foresight to pass those environmental laws in the 1960's and 1970's that I and our children and children's children will be able to enjoy what is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

And I Thank GOD if it exists for that!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!!

AboveAlpha

2. AboveAlpha

Just to add I am crushing up some grown in my garden fresh and then frozen Sage for the 24 lbs. Turkey we are going to cook tomorrow.

The sage once frozen crushes up easily to a powder form and we put this along with rosemary under and on top of the skin of the Turkey which I also inject with a brine.

AboveAlpha

3. wgabrie

wgabrie Well-Known Member Donor

Wow, you really buried this thread in here, hidden down in the subsection.

Well , happy thanksgiving to you.

4. gamewell45

gamewell45 Well-Known Member Past Donor

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

5. AboveAlpha

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Wga!

AboveAlpha

- - - Updated - - -

And I wish you and your family happiness.

AboveAlpha

6. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Happy thanksgiving. I dry my sage but think it is relatively benign either way so I seldom bother to remember to use it.

Pumpkin pie and stuffing.....everybody else can have the rest, but those are MINE.

7. AboveAlpha

I am making a huge amount of Candied Carrots which everyone seems to love.

I use Chef Carrots....as they are big and sweet....I peal them and use a variegated cutter that cuts the carrots into pieces that have a wave like pattern on them.

I par-boil them but not too long and then use a very large steel pan and fry them with a stick of butter....a small amount of good olive oil to prevent the butter from burning....I add Tarragon, Allspice, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, salt, pepper and a small amount of powdered clove.....I fry them till they are fork tender and then add some white sugar and more Dark Brown sugar.

It's important to add the sugars at the very end of cooking as what you want to do is get good caramelization even before you add the sugars and I try to get a bit of very bark brown to almost black caramelization upon the small ribs cut into the slices of carrot.

So I add the sugars last and I add a bit of Molasses...not too much and I add outstanding Massachusetts made Dark Maple Syrup which comes from a Sugar Maple Tree right down the street from me.

It's AWESOME!!!

AboveAlpha

8. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

Happy thanksgiving, at least one day when we finally celebrate colonialism.

9. AboveAlpha

You know what's funny?

When I was in 1st Grade I remember how my teacher told us how the Pilgrims helped the POOR STARVING INDIANS by having a big meal which became Thanksgiving and that the Pilgrims saved the souls of the poor heathen Indians.

I also remember getting sent to the Principals office because my parents who both hold multiple degrees and had served their country had informed me of the actual story of how the Pilgrims were starving to death and the Indian's took pity on them and helped them.

After all these years and I am not one to hold a grudge....but it still irks me!!

AboveAlpha

10. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

I have had them. Not a fan. I only like carrots raw.

11. AboveAlpha

Well there is nothing like a fresh carrot pulled out of the garden and washed off and eaten!!

AboveAlpha

12. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all!

tomorrow it will be roast pork, yams, salad for me
    hope to see the Parade & possibly some football if it's on tv or online

13. AboveAlpha

The biggest travel day of the year is today as millions upon millions of American's located all over the world come home to their families for Thanksgiving.

It is probably the most favorite of all Holidays.

AboveAlpha

14. Mr_Truth

Love carrots in salad but prefer them in my soup. Adds an immense amount of flavor.

15. AboveAlpha

Nothing like chicken soup with carrots, onion and celery.

And a bit of rosemary and bay leaf!

AboveAlpha

16. gamewell45

gamewell45 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I'm going to my little bro's house; he's serving turkey and argument.

17. AboveAlpha

LOL!!!!

A Holiday isn't complete until someone is crying or yelling!!!

Years ago I was invited over a girl friends home by her parents to have Thanksgiving dinner.

She sat by me and the whole time was playing with my crotch!!

Her Mom and Dad were talking to me and it took everything I had in me to keep a straight face!!

Damn that girl was horny!

That night I redefined the term of Stuffing the Bird!!! LOL!!

AboveAlpha....and I did a little basting as well!

18. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Thanksgiving is for giving thanks. Learning to be thankful is a progressive step in human consciousness. That is, we learn to appreciate the things that make us happy. Family, good food etc. Only the detached, psychopathic minds do not understand.

- - - Updated - - -

That's cool!!

19. AboveAlpha

It was HOT! LOL!!

AboveAlpha

20. Mr_Truth

I also add McCormick's "Perfect Pitch" Lemon Herb seasoning, garlic salt, and white cooking wine ~ you cannot believe how much flavor that adds. :)

21. PeppermintTwist

PeppermintTwist Well-Known Member Past Donor

Stick a parsnip in that pot of soup for me, but today that parsnip gets roasted...Happy Thanksgiving and Bon Appétit.

AboveAlpha likes this.
  22. Mr_Truth

^ prefer grated parsnips so that the flavors blend in better :)

------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------

Today is a great day to celebrate American heroes like Jake ' the Milkman' Mliliman:

[video=youtube;L2AjcKYg22A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2AjcKYg22A[/video]

He defeated the evil Colonel who hated everything the USA stood for. Those are the deeds of a true hero. :flagus:

23. namvet

namvet New Member

having dinner with the family

[​IMG]

24. namvet

namvet New Member

the 4 second bird

[video=youtube;Xfe6vOmJPSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfe6vOmJPSQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

25. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

Actually both narratives are incorrect, the pilgrims and the Indians allied against another tribe that was threatening both. Butchered those bastards and then had a hardy meal.