No one can answer this question.

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Grugore, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Grugore

Grugore Active Member

Many people believe that morality is subjective. I can prove this wrong with one simple question. Morality can be defined as a set of behaviors involving human interactions that are beneficial to a society. I believe that these behaviors are given to us by God, through the Bible.

Now here's the question. Can anyone show me one societal ill, that is the result of human agents, that is not a direct result of disobeying the Bible?

2. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

It could be, but that isn't what morality is.

3. CJtheModerate

CJtheModerate New Member

This is relevant.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 - "If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives."

Exodus 22:18 - "No not allow a sorceress to live."

Judges 19:25-28 - “So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, ‘Get up; let’s go.’ But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.”

Deuteronomy 17:12 - Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel.

Leviticus 20:27 - "A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death."

Leviticus 21:9 - "A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death."

Exodus 22:19 - "Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be utterly destroyed."

2 Chronicles 15:12-13 - "They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman."

Deuteronomy 13:13-19 - "Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. 'The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him.'"

4. Grugore

Grugore Active Member

Then what is it?

5. Grugore

Grugore Active Member

I asked for present day examples. Why are you bringing up ancient history. And you have done nothing but quote Scripture out of context. So, give me a present day example. You can't.

6. robini123

robini123 Well-Known Member

The inability to prove a negitive is not proof of a positive. All I have do to see the subjectivity of morality is to observe humanity.

For your question to be valid one would have to inescapably prove that God exists... good luck with that! At best the Bible is the word of man and mans interpretation of God, at worst it is just an expression of the ignorance of ancient humans. I am open to the Bible being the literal word of God, but I will need more than the claims made in the Bible as proof of its claims.

7. CJtheModerate

CJtheModerate New Member

You are asking this question because you want to defend Biblical morality. I'm just starting the argument that was undoubtedly going to start sooner or later.

8. Grugore

Grugore Active Member

Really? I call it deflecting. Answer the question, if you can.

9. robini123

Do you believe that the inability to answer the question proves your premise correct?

10. Grugore

Grugore Active Member

If every societal ill is caused by disobeying what the Bible teaches, then it stands to reason that it is the ultimate authority on what is right and wrong.

11. EggKiller

EggKiller Well-Known Member

I beleive the welfare state is a societal ill.

12. CJtheModerate

CJtheModerate New Member

Fine. The Bible does not condemn pedophilia.

13. robini123

"If" implies a supposition rather than inescapable fact. The above and the OP is confirmation bias where you start from a conclusion and only accept evidence that supports the predetermined conclusion. The first order of business will be to prove that God exists. The 2nd order of business is to prove that the Bible is the word of God. Without the preceding two proofs being verified there is no basis to support your challenge. To think otherwise would be illogical by my measure of logic.

14. Grugore

Grugore Active Member

1 Cor 6:
    9 ¶ Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

In the end of 1 Cor 6:9 Greek text appears two words (malakos and arsenokoites). Malakos means soft, effeminate, of a catamite, of a boy kept for homosexual relations with a man, of a male who submits his body to unnatural lewdness, of a male prostitute. Arsenokoites means one who lies with a male as with a female, sodomite, homosexual.

In the end of 1 Cor 6:9 is very clear teaching that sex between adult and child is a sin. The verse teaches that sex between man, and boy is a sin, but self-evident is that sex between man and girl is a sin. The Bible condemns pedophilia as a sin that people who practice it cannot inherit the kingdom of God, unless they repent and forsake sin of pedophilia.

15. Grugore

Grugore Active Member

So, you can't answer my question. Why didn't you simply say so?

16. robini123

Spoken from a position of ignorance. Placing your words in my mouth and calling them myown is illogical by my measure of logic. I did answer your question, perhaps not to your satisfaction but I am not limited by your parameters.

17. vnct

vnct New Member

are you saying that everyone has a bible?

18. CJtheModerate

CJtheModerate New Member

The verse does not explicitly condemn pedophilia. It condemns homosexual pedophilia, which is not surprising, since the Bible condemns homosexuality over and over and over again.

Where did you get that from? Nothing in that verse condemns heterosexual pedophilia.

19. LiveUninhibited

LiveUninhibited Well-Known Member

The problem (or perhaps great thing, if you're a despot) with the bible is that you can support or condemn almost any action using different verses. This inconsistency makes it pretty useless as a source of morality. Oh also god probably doesn't exist, and the Christian god certainly doesn't exist.

An example I can think of is corporal punishment. The bible encourages corporal punishment (physical child abuse for discipline), but studies have shown that child abuse actually causes worse outcomes in children. Also the bible suggests we should execute disobedient children, and I think doing that would be immoral.

Acting in a way that minimizes harm to others. Devil's in the details indeed, though.

It was an illustration of how the Bible is a poor example of morality.

You're kind of reading into that. Pedophilia in general is not implied to be wrong merely because the bible specifically prohibits man-boy rape or homosexual sex. In the case of pedophilia, the bible seems to be mostly for it, though:

20. haribol

haribol New Member

Morality is a defense instrument invented by man. You are moral just because you want to be good to the other you are with in order that the other reciprocates it There is no selflessness in this behavior and there is a motivation behind it. All our good and bad actions are a self defensive instrument and it is related to the matter of survival. Man beneath his humane or divine countenance is an animal. As such I do not think morality is a selfless activity. Through morality we want to reinforce our foundation of survival. There is no other thing to it than our strategy to enable ourselves to survive

21. yguy

yguy Well-Known Member

Well I dunno. Is sowing a field with "mingled seed" disobeying the Bible?

22. Daniel Light

Daniel Light Well-Known Member

Much of what is in the Bible was proposed by the Buddha 400 years prior to Christ. So if the Bible is a derivation of the teachings of the
    Buddha, and the ideas were expressed hundreds of years prior to the printing of the Bible, then the words of the Buddha are the ultimate authority - if you really want to play this game.

23. tecoyah

tecoyah Well-Known Member Past Donor

Sex trafficing
    (slavery)

Targeting Gay people for violence.

There are many others in fact that are not a result of disobeying....they are in fact following it.

24. Grugore

Grugore Active Member

Slavery is condemned in the Bible. The Bible tells us to love our neighbor, so violence against gays would be disobedience to the word of God. Try again.

25. Grugore

Grugore Active Member

Really? You'll have to provide some examples, if you want me to take you seriously. Most of what the Bubbah said is just typical common sense. The teachings of Jesus were specific.