2015 might have seen hottest summer in 4,000 years - NOAA

Discussion in 'Environment & Conservation' started by livefree, Nov 28, 2015.

1. livefree

livefree Banned

More evidence of the un-natural heating of the Earth being created by human caused global warming. Temperatures are being pushed up to levels that are currently higher, or soon will be higher, than anything the Earth has seen over the entire Holocene.

2015 might have seen hottest summer in 4,000 years
    CNN
    By Joe Sutton
    October 22, 2015
    (CNN) Are you still wearing shorts and T-shirts? If you say yes, there's a good reason.

Planet Earth has definitely experienced its hottest summer since detailed records have been kept, and according to scientists, it might have been the hottest in more than 4,000 years.

The meteorological summer of June-July-August in the Northern Hemisphere saw its highest globally averaged temperature since records began in 1880, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reported.

Seven out of the nine months this year have made their way to the record books. Now that it's fall, September saw its highest temperature on record, for land and ocean surfaces.

What do scientists point to for this phenomenon?

"The unprecedented heat continues to be driven by the strong El Niño in the Pacific," said CNN senior meteorologist Dave Hennen. "We're now five months in a row of record highs, and that will likely continue with El Niño forecast to last well into the spring."

Climate research suggests these are the hottest temperatures the Earth has seen since the Bronze Age.

The report also said record heat was reported across northeastern Africa stretching into the Middle East, part of southeastern Asia, most of the northern half of South America, and parts of central and eastern North America.

However, not all regions experienced above-normal temperatures. Southern South America, far western Canada, Alaska and a swath across central Asia were cooler than average.

[Were South Carolina floods caused by climate change?]

"With a 98% chance that the strong El Niño conditions will last, it is virtually certain that this year will end up globally being the warmest on record," according to Hennen.

The last strong El Niño was back in 1997. That year it wreaked weather-related havoc across the globe, from mudslides in California to fires in Australia.

According to NOAA, the average temperature over global land and ocean surfaces for September 2015 was at 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than the 20th century average.

Experts predict El Niño will peak in late fall/early winter, and forecasts now suggest it will remain constant through winter and gradually weaken as spring settles in.

2. livefree

livefree Banned

It is amusing how the rightwingnut reality deniers on this forum are avoiding confronting the facts in the OP.

3. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Granny says, "Dat's right - inna Revelation it says it gonna get real hot fer 5 months an' then Jesus gonna come back...
    :grandma:
    WMO: Global Warming Happening Faster Than Predicted
    July 21, 2016 — The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) reported the first six months of this year have seen all previous global warming records broken.The WMO said 2016 is on track to be the world’s hottest year on record with more heat on the way.

4. sawyer

sawyer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Even IF all that was true it's a non story. I'm always amazed how you warmer cult members just can't fathom how old earth is and how a few thousand years is a blink of its eye. Seems very long indeed to us humans but to earth it's a tick of the clock.

5. jc456

jc456 New Member

so not ever? so it was hotter in the past, which means that would have been all natural right? So what you're really saying is that human CO2 does nothing to the earth. Thanks.

Sunsettommy likes this.
  6. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

We just had our hottest October...
    :omg:
    Report: 2011 to 2015 Hottest Period on Record
    November 08, 2016 - The five years from 2011 through 2015 were the hottest on record, and the warming is speeding up trends of rising sea levels and more extreme weather worldwide, according to a new report.

7. AFM

AFM Well-Known Member Past Donor

Observation - your article says nothing about anthropogenic global warming.

8. AFM

Yes, the article refers to the temperatures from the 1880's but says nothing about the Roman warm period, the dark ages cooling period, the Medieval warm period, the Little Ice Age, and the first half of the current warm period all of which took place at constant CO2 concentration.

Sunsettommy likes this.
  9. Ole Ole

Ole Ole Banned

Hot stuff. Warm sun far from earth.

10. jackdog

jackdog Well-Known Member

Ed McMahon used to come on TV and tell me I might have won a million dollars also. using homogenized ( made up) GISS temps they could say it might have been hotter than in a billion years or the coldest, just depending on how they tweak the numbers. Schimdt tweaked the 30's numbers cooler than recorded and tweaked present temps higher than recorded a few years back as I recall because the 30's original numbers did not fit his narrative. No matter there is a new sheriff in town and the AGW people are due for a haircut

11. politicalcenter

politicalcenter Well-Known Member

So, everyone that supports AGW is lying, especially the most respected scientific organizations. The fringe websites like whatsupwiththat are telling the gospel truth. I got a bridge to sell you.

12. drluggit

drluggit Well-Known Member

Does it matter what everyone says? Most everyone says Tom Cruise is straight. Does that make it true? What matters is the truth, regardless of how many people say it. The truth is that NOAA restated temp data that doesn't reflect the observed temps as taken historically, and then "smoothed" the data for modern temps with a bias to raise them as well. So, they artificially cooled the 30s temps, while simultaneously warming the current temps, and now we have a "study" that demonstrates this newly outrageous claim that somehow the "tenths of a degree" to which are what we are discussing are somehow catastrophic.

The unfortunate truth is that with the advent of the current la nina, the temp record is falling off a cliff. Just look at real data, as measured by mechanical devices to demonstrate this for yourself.

13. politicalcenter

The earths average temps are still.above average.

14. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

BUT BUT BUT - THERE HASN'T BEEN ANY WARMING IN XXXX YEARS!!!!

Global warming as STOPPED!!

This is false - it is just a conspiracy by scientists looking for money!!!

Right - now I will switch my brain back on after it has turned off to mimic a denialist.

- - - Updated - - -

There are more agencies than NOAA doing checking world wide temperatures

And mine tink it mazing that when there was no increase in global averages denialists were very very happy to use NOAA data but as soon as we have a return to increases all of a sudden there is a scream that NOAA is cooking the books

15. AFM

Thanks for making my point again.

16. jackdog

Ed McMahon was not lying. He used to say I may have not that I had. Key phrase in that sentence is 'you may have' English your second language or just need to work on reading comprehension? Here is a lesson may, might, could etc are weasel words anything after them in a sentence is hypothetical not factual

17. politicalcenter

The earth is warming and man is the cause. You are claiming every reputable scientific organization on the planet is conning the public and filled with a bunch of dishonest weasels. I have good reading comprehension. I have been tested. Your posts are full of nothing but insults and innuendo. Just continue to quote fringe websites with zero credibility and I will get my science from people that have put men in space and launched probes past Pluto. You know....scientist that have actually accomplished something besides Luddite propaganda.

18. jackdog

man is the cause to what extent ? 100% , 50%, 10%, 1%. show me your computations

19. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

So the takeaway is that it is cooler than 4,000 years ago. Got it.

20. bringiton

bringiton Well-Known Member

"Average" for what period? We are in fact in an interglacial (maybe near the end of it), and current temperatures are about average for the last 10Ky, but they are far above the average for the last 2.5My. OTOH, they are far BELOW average for the last 10My, 50My, 200My, etc. as far back as we can measure.

21. bringiton

bringiton Well-Known Member

Please present your evidence that although all previous global warmings were indisputably caused by agents other than man, the late-20th century warming was somehow uniquely different all previous ones.

Thought not.
    No, the dishonest weasels are just in control of the political end.
    I realize it is hard to buck what has been presented as an overwhelming scientific consensus; but if you look closely, and exercise your logical reasoning as well as your reading comprehension skills, you will find that the actual consensus of the actual scientists is very, very different from the claimed consensus.

22. drluggit

drluggit Well-Known Member

You say this like it's factual. You have no basis for making that claim. Period. You simply have no idea what "average" is, or what it's supposed to be. It's like saying that there are too many species in existence because there are more than the "average". It's a stupid qualifier.

23. politicalcenter

24. JusticeOne

JusticeOne Active Member Past Donor

I promise you that 2015 was not the hottest summer in 4000 years, that is just plain stupid and NOAA knows better. :roll:

25. politicalcenter

Heat Is On for 2017, Just Not Record-Setting | Climate Central