OK cat freaks....

Discussion in 'Animals & Pets' started by Deckel, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

my mostly outdoor cat now is an indoor cat for awhile so I have had to buy that dreadful litter box. What is the best kitty litter to use in your experience? I initially went with clumpy double duty Arm & Hammer but that stuff is pretty rancid smelling. Maybe because of my sinuses, but to me it smells like a dead rodent that is not quite peaked its ripeness yet but is getting close whenever the cat uses the thing. It is gag worthy. I think I would rather smell the cat poop than that stuff.

Anybody have any good recommendation for kitty poopy sand that is not so vile smelling?

2. JakeJ

JakeJ Well-Known Member Past Donor

Scope out the clumps daily (and bag them tightly before putting in trash) and add some Arm & Hammer baking soda each time, not much.

3. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Tidy Cat Glade is pretty good. Some people don't like it though.

I will never have an outside cat again, always inside. No fleas, no worms, no dogs killing them.

4. Deckel

Oh I go through that thing as soon as the dead rat smell wifts its way into the kitchen. I clean it twice a day, sometimes 3 times a day. I will try to the baking soda thing but I would think that Arm and Hammer would have taken care of that since that is their most high profile product.

5. Deckel

I never really wanted this cat. I am a dog person. It was a feral that won me over when I kept having to fetch his bloody self from trees when all the other boy cats would attack it. He very much prefers outdoors and I prefer him to be outdoors, but for now, he needs to be inside for a few weeks.

6. Hoosier8

I picked up a feral cat, a survivor, and it took a year to calm her down. Now she is one of my sweetest cats and always goes to bed with me at night but is a hider if any strange noises happen or other people come by. Cats live longer inside.

7. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

i use the scentless stuff.

cats don't need perfume.

8. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

When I had a cat, it seemed that the most vile stink came from the cat urine. I found the low-dust granular type of litter to be the best because sifting out the solids was easier. I found that clumping litter was more problematic. The trick, I found, was to buy an extra deep cat box that would hold more litter, it lasts longer because it soaks up more urine and doesn't get soaked as quickly. Good luck.

P.S. Almost forgot, feed your cat the best food you can afford. Cheap food makes them poop more.

9. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

10. Deckel

Mine is more or less the same. Problem is my inside dog is super jealous of the cat and is always trying to put herself between me and the cat if I am paying it any attention. She doesn't go after the cat or anything because that is not her nature. She just does not like me petting it or the cat being closer to me than she is which gets quite annoying when I have both a dog and a cat underfoot.

11. Merwen

Merwen Well-Known Member

We use a relatively new product which is really wood or sawdust pellets. It used to be available at our local grocery store, but now, if I'm lucky, I can only find it at Walmart or Wegman's. It is becoming increasingly hard to find.

If you can find it, follow the directions. If you do, it seems much better at absorbing the smells and is also cleaner--no gritty dust that could cause silicosis or something.

12. Deckel

I will check out Walmart for it. I like the idea of wood anyway. Then I could just toss it into the woods instead of having to bag it and toss it in the garbage.

13. Hoosier8

Hey, just teach your cat to use the toilet. Some have. Me? No patience for it and too many cats.

14. Deckel

My cat is too stubborn. If I tried, he would just crap on the wall for spite. :frown:

15. ChoppedLiver

ChoppedLiver Well-Known Member

16. Dissily Mordentroge

Dissily Mordentroge Well-Known Member Past Donor

Simple answer is to mix one quarter garden soil with the litter. The bacteria in the soil help break down uric acid and reduce the smell.

17. JakeJ

JakeJ Well-Known Member Past Donor

If the male cat isn't fixed it will spray all over the corners and elsewhere to mark it's territory. Even if fixed, if already an adult when fixed it will tend to continue to do so. There is basically nothing you can do to stop this. Sorry, its their nature.