Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (unofficial thread)

Discussion in 'Music, TV, Movies & other Media' started by Herkdriver, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

Unless you've been living in a cave, a new Star Wars will be released for paid public consumption in theaters on December 18th.

Simple question, do you plan on seeing it at some point in a theater?

Flash forward....here's a thread to discuss the film, with one caveat, if you discuss any details, note "Spoiler Alert" in the first sentence or two to warn any potential readers who may have not seen, but are planning to see, this latest installment of the SW franchise.

I will see it in a theater, but probably not in the opening weekend, I'll wait until the crowd thins a little.

2. ThirdTerm

ThirdTerm Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;n-7K_OjsDCQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-7K_OjsDCQ[/video]

Star Wars: Episode VII is quite similar to the Hunger Games and both films have strong female leads. The creators of the new Star Wars movie may be going after the same audience (i.e. teen girls) in addition to the traditional Star Wars fan base (i.e. geeks).

[video=youtube;2gCbnwavkKc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gCbnwavkKc[/video]

3. LiveUninhibited

LiveUninhibited Well-Known Member

Yeah I'll see it within a few months even if reviews are bad, since movie critics appear to care more about emotional edification than entertainment. I'm a little afraid Disney will ruin it, but they couldn't do worse than JarJar. If it has sufficient action it should be fine.

4. Alucard

Alucard New Member Past Donor

I purchased my advance ticket to see "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" on Friday, December 18th at the IMAX for the 9:00 AM show. So, I am guaranteed a seat. :clapping:

5. tkolter

tkolter Well-Known Member

I'll see it, I use a power wheelchair so will get a seat, I travel with it. But it better be better than Star Wars Episodes 1 to 3 in that my expectations are kind of low.

6. Paris

Paris Well-Known Member

Yes. It looks good.

7. gamewell45

gamewell45 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I'll definitely see it in a theater with a ton of popcorn and soda! :)

8. Nightmare515

Nightmare515 Ragin' Cajun Staff Member Past Donor

I'm going to see it but it will likely be a few weeks after its been released. I like Star Wars, I'm not a HUGE fan but I enjoy the movies, but I know plenty of die hard fans are going insane about this and I really have no desire to sit in a crowded theater next to a bunch of dudes dressed up as Storm Troopers on opening night lol

People are already starting the cosplay thing. I went to Wal Mart the other day and Darth Vader was walking around with a shopping cart in the food section lol. I thought it was kinda cool/WTF so I walked by him and said "Lord Vader!" He turned and looked at me and did a slight nod bow thing.

I walked past him thinking in my head what in the actual (*)(*)(*)(*) lol

9. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

It made $50 million over night (Thursday late night shows.) It's predicted to make over $200 million over the next 3 days, in the U.S. and over $320 million including international showings. Basically the equivalent to Jurrasic World.

Reviews have been ok on it. I suppose there is no pleasing the serious Star Wars fan, and I'm sure they will be critical of it. Most are saying, Abrams did a good job capturing the vibe of the original, it's more a nod towards nostalgia, then advancing the storyline.

10. ThirdTerm

There are strong indications in the movie's storyline that Rey is Luke Skywalker's daughter. It's a journey to find her biological father and the film concludes with the scene of their dramatic encounter. Rey clearly inherited the Force from Luke Skywalker and the family tradition to fight the forces of evil is passed on to the next generation, which Rey does with great reluctance.

11. Moi621

Moi621 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I will wait for it to come on cable.

Theater volume makes me physically ill
    for hours after the experience.

12. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

I've just seen it, and... Damn it, I'd like to see it again :D There is very little, if anything, I could complain about here.

13. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

I agree. I plan to see it again in the theaters, but after I watch the other 6 again. I put it smack in the middle of the 7 Star Wars movies. Not quite up to Episodes 4-6, but much better than Episodes 1-3.

14. Phoebe Bump

Phoebe Bump New Member

Yep, probably mid-January. I hate crowds. My boy and his wife saw it and say it is a 9.5.

15. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

That seems to be pretty much the common consensus, and I certainly agree also - the prequels are so messed up that I haven't even been overly tempted to review those, but the classics? Yeah.

Now I just wonder whether the new talent can keep up the standard and make two more good films. It worries me a little that this one was so derivative - can they do good original work?

16. Vicariously I

Vicariously I Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you were supposed to put "spoiler alert" in your post as it said in the OP. That being said Spoiler Alert.

I think this is incorrect. Though it may in fact be true and there are certainly a lot of similarities to Rey and Luke I actually believe Rey is the daughter of Han and Leia. I know they say the didn't use the cannons story line but they actually did use some of it. Luke going to find the first Jedi Temple was a major plot line in the books after Return of the Jedi. In them Leia and Han have 3 kids, including twins, a boy and girl. Google images of Jaina Solo and tell me you don't see the resemblance to Rey. Same can be said of her brother Jacen Solo and Ben (Kylo Ren). Jacen also turns to the dark side in the books like Ben did in the movies. In the books Luke has one kid, a son he names Ben after Obi-Wan. Now I could see Abrahms switching the kids around to throw people off but that seems pretty lazy to me. Also it would make sense for them to split up their kids to protect them like they did with Luke and Leia. Also after Luke failed to prevent Ben from turning to the dark side they may have been afraid of the same thing happening to Rey, fearing there was too much Vader in them.

Ben knows Rey, he freaks out when he hears she has the droid before they ever meet in the movie. Chewie doesn't like people right away but he loves Rey from the start. Also you can kind of see pride in Han during certain moments of the movie. When Rey returns from the attack on the sun killer she embraces Leia even though they have never met and the way Leia Hugs her lets us know she knows her. Of course it could very well be an aunt hugging a niece but the idea that she is Lukes kid really doesn't make all that much sense. We know she is very powerful, seemingly more so that Ben since she was able to do things after only a day of even hearing about the force, like force grab the saber even though Ben was trying to grab it to. So why would Luke leave his kid on a desert planet and go off to train someone else kid? No I believe she is Han and Leias kid and they choose Ben because Rey was stronger and they feared what would happen if she turned to the dark side.

17. ThirdTerm

A few days ago, a Star Wars fan explained that Rey might be either Luke or Leia’s daughter, given the way she handles the Force immediately after learning that she can actually wield it, with a preference for the latter. According to that theory, Rey and Kylo Ren might be brother and sister, children of Leia and Han Solo, in line with plot lines from the novels. But a different theory, detailed in HelloGiggles, suggests that Rey is the daughter of Luke and a woman who may be Obi-Wan’s daughter, a character we’ve never met. Or that Rey is somehow related to Obi-Wan.

There is some sound logic to back up this theory. First of all, in Rey’s revealing hallucination, it’s Ewan McGregor’s voice that reaches out to her from beyond. McGregor played the young version of Obi-Wan in the second Star Wars trilogy. His voice apparently replaced the voice of James Arnold Taylor, the actor who played Obi-Wan in various Star Wars projects including the Clone Wars micro-series.

HelloGiggles explains that Rey’s personality, upbringing and fighting style all parallel Obi-Wan’s. “[She] battles defensively and ‘moves her lightsaber just like Obi-Wan did with it extended out straight in front of her and moving it in a circular pattern,’” the site says, quoting a fan of the saga. “Rey’s behaviors aboard the Starkiller Base – scaling walls, sneaking around – also parallel those of Obi-Wan aboard the base’s predecessor, the Death Star.”

Furthermore, Abrams allowed Daisy Ridley to keep her English accent while playing Rey. But John Boyega (Finn in the movie) had to speak with an American accent. This is a second indication that she might be related to Obi-Wan, who also had a British accent in the movie. Is Rey the granddaughter of Obi-Wan? Is she also Luke’s daughter? We’ll find out the answers to these questions in Episode VIII come May 2017, but this particular DNA combination might explain Rey’s excellent use of the Force – she picks up Jedi tricks almost immediately, reminding us of Luke’s and Anakin’s powers.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/star-wars-fan-theory-offers-fascinating-explanation-rey-143303935.html

18. Krypt

Krypt New Member

Obi Wan dies in A New Hope. The time frame between ANH and ROTJ is about 4 years. The Force Awakens takes place 30 years after ROTJ. If Obi was to be the father, it would have had to take place around the timeframe of ANH. It's roughly about 34 years between Obi Wan's death and The Force Awakens. Rey appears to be in early/mid 20's in The Force Awakens. There's no way she could be Obi Wan's kid.

19. Vicariously I

He said she would be Obi-Wans granddaughter. That Obi-Wan may have had a daughter who had a kid with Luke.

The biggest problem I have with Rey being Lukes kid is that people know who she is, which means Luke knows who she is which means he would have had to have left her on that planet on purpose. But if that is the case why would he train Han and Leias kid to be a Jedi but not his own?

20. tkolter

tkolter Well-Known Member

I think Luke and Leia had sex and their bastard daughter was abandoned on the desert planet under some guardian, that would explain her awesome powers since she's inbred.

21. DavidMK

DavidMK Well-Known Member

Do keep in mind how young she was and how it's implied Luke has been in hiding for a long time. My guess is as Snoke started tempting Ben, he hid her away to keep her safe just as he and Leia had been. This would explain her powers (being a Skywalker) yet Leia, Han and Ben not recognizing her (because she was Luke's, not Leia's and much older than anytime they might have seen her).

22. Windigo

Windigo Banned

Spoiler

Its been confirmed that the voice that speaks to her during the flashback is Ewan McGregor. That's a big hint. And Ben being her grandfather and Luke her father makes sense. Do we think that Luke never went through puberty? Never had a teenage crush? If Obi-Wan found a love interest on Tatooine and had a daughter she would have grown up with Luke. She most likely would have lived with her mother and Luke wouldn't have been the wiser that Obi-Wan was her father. After Return he could have rekindled the flame with his teenage sweetheart.

23. Daggdag

Daggdag Well-Known Member

I will see them just to see what Disney can do. However, as I said in my other thread, I was against Disney's decision to reboot the Star Wars Universe and declare the Expanded Universe non-canon.

They should have left the original series alone and created a new series, taking place in a different time with original characters, while allowing the existing conon intact.

24. Vicariously I

Ben knows her, he freaks out when he hears a girl from Jakku has the droid. You can tell that Han knows her too plus Chewie rarely likes people right away like he does Rey, he didn't even like Luke that fast. After the main battle, Leia hugs her in a way that shows she knows who she is. We also know that Ben is very young himself, reckless and hasn't even finished his training yet. We have no reason to believe Rey is any younger than Ben in fact it appeared to me they were the same age.

25. DavidMK

DavidMK Well-Known Member

Ben doesn't even know her name, just that a girl from Jakku has a droid and blasted her way past a bunch of TIE fighters. It's BB-8 escaping that he's reacting to. Han shows no emotion (aside from a bit of mild annoyance) to Rey and Finn, he's focused on the Millennium Falcon and Chewie likes her because she's a master mechanic that knows how to keep his favorite ship flying. Leia's reaction (which only comes after she gets to know Rey, not right when they meet) is more about all the life and death madness she's gone thru, minus the hug she reacts the same way to Finn.