The Decline of Education

Discussion in 'Education' started by usfan, Dec 15, 2015.

1. usfan

usfan Banned

Education has become a panacea for every problem in society.

Crime? More education.
    Racism? Education.
    Littering? Education.
    Stupidity? Education will fix that.

For every social problem we have, education is pushed forward as the all in one solution.

America has a long & illustrious history of quality education. We have gone to the moon, & made technological advances never imagined in times past, all from the building of the knowledge base, adding to it, & innovation... the sum of good education.

But somewhere along the line, when progressive ideology began to dominate the culture, education became a tool, not for critical thinking & discovery, but for indoctrination.

Historical American education had a few basic tenets:

1. Natural law & human freedom.
    2. Moral absolutes.
    3. A universe of order.
    4. The scientific method.
    5. Open minded critical thinking.

There was no conflict in these areas, as they all combined to give the aspiring student a broad, liberal arts education. He was taught to read, write, & do arithmetic. He was taught to spell, use proper grammar, & had exposure to the classics. He was taught history & civics, the nature of governments, & the importance of self rule & the American experiment. Teachers from this era were patriotic, & valued the dream of America.

When i was in 4th or 5th grade, in the 60s, my elementary teacher was a fairly young woman in her early 30s (an old hag to a 10 yr old!) She taught civics, & had the class memorize the first part of the Declaration of Independence. I had a head start, as my old grandma had me do that in preschool, but we all dutifully memorized it, & recited it before the class. She saw the power, wisdom, & basis for our country summarized in this document. I don't know if it was her curriculum, or if the whole school did it, but this class knew about human equality & natural rights from an early age. I think by middle school, we studied the constitution, & the different branches of govt. We read classic literature, which covered a wide variety of subjects. Science was science. There was no blending of religion or philosophy, but only factual science. Origins were properly presented as 'theories', not settle science. There was no indoctrination over global warming, or the evils of loggers & industry. Hunting was something many of the locals did, & it was not demonized as bloodthirsty killers of Bambi.

“Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom.” ~Albert Einstein

Progressive education has changed the emphasis:
    1. Collectivism. Individual freedom is subordinate to the needs of society, and the ruling elite will decide what is best for us.
    2. Moral relativism. There is no god, & everyone can do as they please, but try to be nice.
    3. Laws can change with the times, & the goalposts can be moved to make things fair.
    4. Science is a tool to accomplish social justice & other more important social issues.
    5. Indoctrination can build a pliable, subservient citizenry. Conformity is the goal, not individual thinking.

Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted. ~Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

So we spend millions of taxpayer dollars pursuing the fantasies of progressive utopia, where a New Man can be made, molded, taught, & will evolve us into the perfect society. Justice is not a deterrence, but a place to 'reform' or teach the misguided criminal who is just a victim of inadequate education. But the only basis for teaching morality is, 'why can't we all just get along?', a whiny, pathetic, weak appeal to try to overcome the violence & aggression that is in Man. There is no fear of retribution, or God, or punishment, or even family discipline. The progressive state has emasculated fathers, & promoted the death of the family. We daily see the results of this madness, yet no one says, 'Are you crazy? Stop this, right now!' Instead, the same old tired pleas for more money & more indoctrination go out to the working man, who is expected to foot the bill for these stupid, failed policies that are only destroying the culture.

They teach that there is no need for God, as life happened spontaneously, & has evolved over millions of years, with no morality, no responsibility, & no purpose for life. You are just an accident of nature, & it doesn't really matter what you do. It is a dog eat dog world, & only the strong survive. They use science to preach this philosophy, even though it is not even a good theory. They ridicule God & morality, & undermine any values that the parents or a religious institution might instill.

They do not teach critical thinking, but conformity. They mock & ridicule any outliers, & put tremendous pressure on impressionable young people to align themselves with progressive ideology. They do this in matters of policy, politics, & religion. They indoctrinate the student in all the pet tenets of leftist ideology: collectivism, social justice, global warming, evolution, & naturalism. Students cannot challenge the progressive status quo, though they are encouraged to mock & ridicule traditional values of family, religion, free market capitalism, & American self rule.

So how has that worked out for us? Do we have a more evolved society? Has the New Man created the ideal society? Is there more altruism, tolerance, & acceptance of diversity? Do students all hold hands & sing kum-ba-ya? Are the citizens industrious, responsible, & caring?

No. The fruit of progressive education is rotten to the core. They breed criminals, where the 3 r's are 'rape, robbery, & racism'. They promote dependency & are a breeding ground for crime, drugs, & despair. They do NOT teach skills to survive in the world, or basic values of human dignity. They trap people in a gulag of dependency to make them all wards of the state.

This is the direction progressive ideology is taking us. They are undermining the values that made America the most prosperous, free, & opportune nation in the history of mankind. They are taking us back to the dark ages & totalitarian rule, where lords & masters direct our every choice in life. Education has become an enemy of American society, destroying the foundation of the culture.

It is, in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry. ~Albert Einstein

What is the solution?
    1. End all federal involvement in education. Let local & state govts handle it.
    2. End teachers unions.. they do not promote what is best for the children, which should be the overriding goal.
    3. End tenure. Teaching is a job like any other, & should be based on competence, not seniority.
    4. Break up the monopoly on teaching, & promote educators with life experiences, not just indoctrinated education degrees from complicit institutions. Test for competence in the subject matter.
    5. Clearly define the goals & mission statement of the schools, & have them be more subject to the community of parents, especially with regard to curriculum & values.
    6. Return to recognizing the equality of man, natural law, the basic rights of the individual, & reject the collectivist indoctrination currently preached.

It will not be easy. Hordes of slimy progressives have wormed their way into the institutions of education, do nothing useful, & exploit the children. It will take a national awakening, to see the evils in place, & make a concerted effort to eradicate it. But if we want to return to a civilized society, with freedom, opportunity, & sanity running the culture, this is the only solution. If we surrender to the progressive destroyers, they will continue their destruction, until the nation is a pile of rubble.

Ritter and The Mandela Effect like this.
  2. tkolter

tkolter Well-Known Member

Education needs to focus on two things:

1. For those not likely to go to college ,tracking since elementary school to adulthood, a general education in K-8 then vocational education in a broader sense and in an area of employment this can lead to apprenticeships or trade schools or a community college after High School OR directly into entry level employment.

2. For those going to college the best preparation possible, noting any career not requiring college being replaced with a higher tier apprenticeship perhaps, would go to the above but our best minds need the best education and yes a free degree path at public colleges to as far as they can go this would be arguably the top 5% of students in school based off IQ as an idea of who I'm talking about (those under that group should still go to college they'll benefit most).

I would also 12 months of fully funded education after graduation from High School and again every five years paid for with a payroll tax and I'm thinking 2.5% from the worker and 5% from the employer since it directly benefits them this could be waived if they offer internal career training to employees of similar merit.

The Mandela Effect likes this.
  3. jdog

jdog Banned

The educational system in American has not been worth a damn since the early 1800's. The educational system in the US was modeled after the Prussian system after about 1820 and was designed to create stupid sheep who would be docile and obey authority.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...VJNJuw&usg=AFQjCNGOeGn2k95uKtL_OKB5yG4jaHKANQ

The government schools are run by a cabal of corporate interests and the government whores they own.

People do the worst disservice possible to their children by placing their children in the government indoctrination centers.

The average person in the US has nearly completely lost their ability to think rationally because of the propaganda that has been programed into them by a combination of government schools and the corporate owned media and television.

The answer to this issue is literally staring us all in the face but few are able to see it. It is the internet. The internet contains all the education any person could possibly absorb and it contains information that the government schools and corporate media will never tell the average person.

Online schools and independent online study is the solution to the Idiocracy that has enveloped the United States.

If people begin to take advantage of what the internet has to offer then we have a chance, if they do not we are destined to be a nation of slaves and idiots as we are today.

4. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

If they people in the 60's were raised so much better, why did they create the children of the 80's who created the grandchildren of now? Where is your personal responsibility in what went wrong. Why didn't you raise your kids better? Why haven't you instilled these wonderful values in your grandkids? The problem isn't "progressive ideology" nearly so much as it you guys dropping the ball and then blaming something mythical like "progressive ideology".

5. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Kenyan teacher on $1m prize shortlist...
    :thumbsup:
    Kenyan de-radicalisation teacher on $1m prize shortlist
    Wed, 17 Feb 2016 - A Kenyan business studies teacher who speaks out against terrorism is in the shortlist for $1m prize for the world's best teacher.
    See also:

Indian woman who teaches Mumbai's sex workers' daughters is among the world's 10 best teachers
    2016-02-17 - Robin Chaurasiya is no stranger to breaking stereotypes. In 2009, when she was expelled from the US Air Force for being a lesbian, the Indian-American activist joined the successful campaign to repeal the discriminatory "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy towards gay military personnel. A year later, she travelled to India to start Kranti, an NGO that educates the daughters of sex workers in Mumbai.

6. longknife

longknife New Member

7. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Real life drill training...
    :thumbsup:
    Career education making a comeback in US high schools
    April 27, 2016 -- There was an emergency in Room 14. Three girls injured, one with a broken thighbone and maybe something more serious. Snapping on sterile gloves and kneeling before the worst-off patient, two 17-year-olds went to work.

8. Kode

Kode Well-Known Member

Even better, get a broader perspective on the world and a better education by attending a college in Germany or Norway. And a real "sweetener" is that the education is free. All you need is the money to support yourself while there.

9. Moonglow

Moonglow Well-Known Member

My kids had to learn at school and at home, there is no amount of learning that is limited...I don't put barriers on learning. I pushed them to learn that which they didn't like to be able to have a perspective of knowledge to form an opinion..I also had them make their own decision at an early age..and I didn't lie to my kids..yes that includes Santa..

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  10. VietVet

VietVet Well-Known Member

Betsy DeVos? Is that you? :p
    How much education do you have?
    What state?

What I have seen is parents not assisting their children's education, but squawking and demanding better grades for their precious ones - not demanding better education, just better grades.
    Teachers unions protect lousy teachers.
    Home schooling is wrong on many levels.
    Religion has intruded into education to the great detriment of education.

11. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Progressive children know there is no Santa, at least one who isn't afraid to sleigh his deer up into the hood.

12. Moonglow

When I was in school(jr high and high school) my parents couldn't help me, since they had less of an education than I did..

13. VietVet

VietVet Well-Known Member

So did mine, but they "helped" me by asking about my homework, making sure I did it, no TV until it was done, and when they went to parent conferences, they backed the teacher, not me.

14. Moonglow

My Mom was in PTA and I was watched with a microscope, the only time I could miss school was twice, once I threw up standing in line for the cafeteria and was sent home, the second was when I had the tonsils removed, but any other time it was no miss..Not only homework had to be done but chores also..

15. tkolter

tkolter Well-Known Member

My problem is only 10% of students are truly able to be educated as in go from K through a university and handle a rigorous, strong, challenging classical education in great works and other areas such as science. Another group under that are smart and good at getting skills this means go to a school dedicated to practical engineering, dedicated on business skills, agriculture/farming and other preparation for various work where a high level of practical basic knowledge is good these should not be in a university but a dedicated trades college. Then the rest either can be trained in lower skills at various levels such as go to a technical high schools and learn how to work right out of High School and maybe go to an apprenticeship or two year college on top of that. And then the ones who well are LOSERS who don't want to learn, are trouble or are pointless to bother with who will at best get basic labor jobs or something or enter crime and apprentice in those areas of work and the good ones will do well at it.

I ,being disabled, would fall in the second to the last group I should have had four years of basic education in High School and perhaps two years of employment preparation and maybe be ready for some college and left there and someone better at work skill gaining and such even if disabled could go to a specialty trade college or in some cases to a university or serious college.

16. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Two things:
    1) There's not nearly as much violence in schools as there is in the society outside of the schools. A school is one of the safest places to be, statistically.
    2) As long as there are tests and exams, there will be prayers in schools.

17. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

Both US and Sweden used to have really good education systems providing superb results. For some reason, progressive politicians decided this had to be changed (I guess because of "inequality" or something like that). The first measures turned out to make things worse, so they changed it again. And again and again. Now that they have chosen the wrong way a trillion times, they are still asking what kind of modern. Liberal, progressive measures there are that could save education.

How about returning to what we had? Nope, of course this is unthinkable because looking back is "unmodern" and "Conservative" - "We have to be progressive and get with the times, it is 2017 ffs!"

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017