Organic Food Poisoning

Discussion in 'Other Off-Topic Chat' started by RPA1, Dec 23, 2015.

1. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Chipotle "food with integrity" uses local, USDA 'organic' ingredients. In 2007 an organic farm was responsible for sickening 200 people.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Hollister, California - State officials have determined that spinach linked to last fall's nationwide E. coli outbreak was contaminated on a 50-acre farm in San Benito County. . . The contamination occurred in a field transitioning from conventional to organic farming practices . . . Seattle-based attorney Bill Marler, who is representing 90 plaintiffs in a suit related to the E. coli outbreak, added Salinas grower Mission Organics to the defendants in his lawsuit on Tuesday . . . On Wednesday, Marler told the Free Lance he has known since November that the E. coli contamination occurred on land farmed by Mission Organics and leased from Paicines Ranch, and that the state agency's investigation only confirmed that.

http://www.science20.com/challengin...ause_200_instances_serious_food_poisoning-626

In 2011, an E. coli O104:H4 outbreak in Europe that was eventually attributed to the consumption of fenugreek sprouts grown at a farm in Germany was impressive in terms of its devastation. Primary cases were associated with sprout consumption; secondary transmission was also documented. The E. coli outbreak resulted in 4321 cases, an unknown number of hospitalizations, at least 908 instances of hemolytic uremic syndrome, and at least 50 deaths.

http://www.realclearscience.com/art...anic_industry_for_e_coli_outbreak_106245.html

http://www.about-ecoli.com/ecoli_outbreaks#.VnsGS09S8SU

2. RPA1

The Organic industry really needs to be highly regulated, who knows how many people are sickened by organic food grown in improperly composted e-coli infested fertilizer? People don't generally go to the doctor for a stomach ache.

3. Alucard

Alucard New Member Past Donor

Mission Organics should be sued for millions.

4. RPA1

How about Chipotle?

5. BPman

BPman Banned

This is because many farms use illegals who are ignorant who crap in the fields as well as never wash their hands. Bon apetit.

6. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

It is no secret that eating sprouts is like playing Russian Roulette.

7. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. 90% of my food is organic and never got sick. Knock on wood, huh?

- - - Updated - - -

Ive heard that several times........

8. RPA1

All my food is organic...labeled so or not. 'Organic' is just a government label that is put on food grown according to government standards. BTW they CAN use pesticides. The sad truth is, factory farming is factory farming, whether its organic or conventional. Many large organic farms use pesticides liberally. They're organic by certification, but you'd never know it if you saw their farming practices. As Michael Pollan, best-selling book author and organic supporter, said in an interview with Organic Gardening,

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/

Between 1990 and 2001, over 10,000 people fell ill due to foods contaminated with pathogens like E. coli, and many have organic foods to blame. That's because organic foods tend to have higher levels of potential pathogens. One study, for example, found E. coli in produce from almost 10% of organic farms samples, but only 2% of conventional ones

Conventional farms often use manure, too, but they use irradiation and a full array of non-organic anti-microbial agents as well, and without those, organic foods run a higher risk of containing something that will make a person sick.

So, go ahead and get the Chipotle burrito bowl. Just be sure to have lots of Pepto on hand.

9. RPA1

Asian shrimp is another...They swim in effluent.

10. BPman

BPman Banned

As well, I never buy nor eat any food from China. They probably raise the shrimp in the same vats they use to dye fabric. :eekeyes:

11. mdrobster

mdrobster Well-Known Member

By your posts you seem to know better, all food should be cleaned, santized, et al, before injested, irrelevant of its husbandry or horticulture. Tainted food is not discriminated by "organic" or not.

12. dnsmith

dnsmith New Member

Organic food is no safer than GMO or other standard production, and between 1/3 and 1/2 of the worlds population would starve to death on Organic foods. Proper preparation is the key. KILL THE BACTERIA!

13. mdrobster

Organic foods are not causing people to starve. I clearly stated that the food must be cleaned in my previous post.

14. liberalminority

liberalminority Well-Known Member

their food is overpriced and sloppy, any given day their meat is under cooked, red and rare with cross contamination obvious.

even so, most american's lost their natural immunity to defend against e coli from their ancestors who only ate organic, because they have slowly adapted to being sickened with auto immune diseases from toxic polluted foods with GMO's for more profits to our rich masters.

15. Reality

Reality Well-Known Member

Bunch of people I know have been passing a natural news link around alleging sabotage.. you know cause Chipotle is so healthy and junk.
    So many idiots in the world today.

- - - Updated - - -

If all that was grown was organic food? He's right a large portion of the world's population would starve.

16. Hummingbird

True, have always cleaned my foods b/f consumption. My youngest had a bout w/leukemia about 7 yrs ago and she changed her diet to organic. Her health has improved immensely and of course, she cleans all her foods also.

Falena likes this.
  17. mdrobster

The US wastes about 30% of its food, whether it is "organic" or not. That wasted food could help starving people. Again, organic food, is not causing people to starve, period.

18. mdrobster

Good to hear, my best wishes.

I have always been told to clean all food, regardless, at least rinse it, to remove any residual particles that may harm me.

19. dnsmith

dnsmith New Member

You misread my post. it is not the organic food which is killing people. It is the underproduction of food if food was all organic. And the big issue is the myth some people spout suggesting organic food is better for you, if there is not enough for all of us to eat. There is a lot of organic food raised in India and other 3rd world countries, and the lack of proper cooking kills many. How about eating organic food in Japan? Much of which is fertilized with human and animal excrement. That must also be purified to kill the bacteria. For my money I choose GMO food to feed the world as it can produce more safe food than any other method

20. Hummingbird

Try killing all the perservatives, additives, ton of sodium and chemicals in GMO/processed foods. Good luck w/that. And why you think people would starve on organic is kinda mind boggling. What do you think people ate b/f Monsanto/GMO came along? Why are the Amish so healthy? They grow their own healthy foods......

21. dnsmith

dnsmith New Member

My father was an Agronomist and Bacteriologist, who spent 2 years in India helping to Create an Agricultural Extension service to similar to ours. Since they used raw manure as fertilizer he taught them how to "treat" that manure before adding it to the fields to reduce such ailments as E Coli, Salmonella and other food borne diseases. Even with over a billion of cows dropping manure all over the place crops were not as yielding as crops in the western world. They took part in a huge study about producing fertilizer from organic sources to improve yield. It did improve things, but not enough to feed all the people. When I asked him weren't those chemicals, manufactured fertilizer and pesticides and fungicides subject to causing cancer. His answer was simple, in 30 years maybe 1000 will die of cancer out of a group of 100,000. If they didn't 50,000 would starve in a year. In years gone by he was designated the Extension Agent of the year in the US.

22. Hummingbird

Same here! Nothing from China is on my table or my family's....

23. RPA1

In the case of the spinach, the e-coli was inside the leaves. No way to wash it off. You have to cook it and not eat it raw. I just heard that Chipotle is having their chefs dip onions into boiling water before serving.

24. Reality

Reality Well-Known Member

Yes it could and that's sad. Which has nothing to do with the fact that if you changed all production to organic you'd not only lose that surplus we've got but many other countries would likewise be deficient. Organic is good, it's not efficient or high yield.

No one said organic was starving people NOW, strawman. Fear of gmoS has caused people to go blind though. Golden rice was turned down for African production because it's a gmo. It's gmod to produce vitamin a in large quantities to add that to deficient diets. Which are numerous. But at least those children won't be having nasty gmos!!!!

25. Teilhard

Teilhard New Member

It is an interesting modern affectation -- being afraid of one's food …

Will I get cardiovascular disease if I eat this … ???
    Will I become obese … ??? … diabetic … ???
    Will this give me cancer … ???
    Does it contain corn syrup; gluten; lactose; salt … ???