Hollywood Obituaries 2016

Discussion in 'Music, TV, Movies & other Media' started by waltky, Jan 3, 2016.

1. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

The Deer Hunter was the first movie to really impress me with it's cinematography...
    :cool:
    'Deer Hunter,' 'Close Encounters' cinematographer dies at 85
    3 Jan.`16 — The legendary cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond, best known for "The Deer Hunter" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind," has died.

2. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Actor Ken Howard passes on...
    :frown:
    Actor Ken Howard, TV actor and acting union leader, dies
    March 23, 2016 — Ken Howard, the strapping character actor who starred in the 1970s TV drama "The White Shadow" and was currently serving as president of SAG-AFTRA, has died at age 71. The union announced Howard's death Wednesday. No cause was given.

3. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Comic Garry Shandling passes on...
    Garry Shandling, Star of 'The Larry Sanders Show,' Dead at 66
    March 24, 2016 - Police confirm actor's death as reports of surprise hospital visit circulate

4. PatriotNews

PatriotNews Well-Known Member

How did you miss Abe Vigoda?

There have been several others. It's been a bad year for Hollywood.

Nancy Reagan. Wow. How'd you miss that?

5. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

6. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Garry Shandling was experiencing shortness of breath and pain in his legs just one day before his death, PEOPLE has learned.

Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter told PEOPLE that Shandling, 66, spoke to a doctor friend before his death, complaining about the discomfort in his legs and shortness of breath.

"[His friend] stopped by that night, and Garry didn't want any medical attention," said Winter.

According to Winter, when Shandling still wasn't feeling well the next day, he told his friend he was going to go to the hospital. "Garry said he would get checked out, and he collapsed 45 minutes later," said Winter.

While it's been reported that the comedian suffered a heart attack, Winter said the investigation remains open, and that Shandling does not yet have a death certificate.....snip~

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/garry-shandling-suffered-pain-shortness-193409092.html

7. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Patty Duke, Oscar Winner and Sitcom Star, Dies at 69.....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Patty Duke, who won a best supporting actress Oscar for her performance as Helen Keller in The Miracle Worker and starred as two cousins on her own sitcom, has died, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. She was 69.

Although she performed in films, theater and TV, Duke was most successful in her TV acting career. Overall, she won three Emmy Awards: The Miracle Worker, Captains and Kings and My Sweet Charlie, among eight total nominations.

Her film acting career was sporadic, peaking with her first production, The Miracle Worker and reaching most attention with Valley of the Dolls (1967) where, countering her squeaky-clean image, she played a pill-popping alcoholic. Her other film credits include: Happy Anniversary (1959), By Design (1982), Willy/Milly (1986), The Hitch-Hikers (1989), Prelude to a Kiss (1992) and Bigger Than the Sky (2005), among others.

Anna Marie Duke was born Dec. 14, 1946 in Elmhurst, N.Y. Duke got her first part as a film extra in 1955, and made her first television appearance as a dancer on the The Voice of Firestone. She earned her first TV credits on Kraft Theatre in 1957. During this “golden age” of television, Duke worked steadily in the new medium. She played the title role in the movie The Goddess (1958).

Duke was married from 1972-85 to Addams Family star John Astin. He adopted her son Sean. Survivors also include their son Mackenzie Astin (Andy on the 1980s sitcom The Facts of Life and a broadcast journalist on Scandal).....snip~

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/patty-duke-oscar-winner-sitcom-star-dies-69-164024164.html

R.I.P. Anna Marie Patty Duke. [​IMG]

8. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Doris Roberts, Emmy-Winning 'Everybody Loves Raymond' Actress, Dies at 90.....

[​IMG]

Doris Roberts, best known for playing Marie Barone on CBS' long-running sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond, died Sunday, April 17, at age 90.

TMZ was first to report the news, and her rep confirmed the news to Us, saying that Roberts died in peacefully in her sleep of natural causes.

The actress earned four Emmys for the role of the caring matriarch to sons Ray (Ray Romano) and Robert (Brad Garrett). She played the part throughout the series' nine seasons, starting with the September 1996 pilot. Peter Boyle — who played her husband, the cantankerous Frank Barone — died in December 2006.

Roberts won an additional Emmy for her 1982 guest appearance on St. Elsewhere and is also known for roles on such TV series as Remington Steele, Cagney & Lacey, The Middle and Melissa & Joey. She appeared in films including The Heartbreak Kid, Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star and Grandma's Boy......snip~

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...y-loves-raymond-actress-was-90-report-w203197

R.I.P. Doris Roberts. [​IMG]

9. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Granny gonna be real sad, she liked havin' her palm read over the phone...
    :grandma:
    Telephone Psychic Miss Cleo Has Died At 53
    July 26, 2016 - Miss Cleo, the embattled telephone psychic famous for turning the phrase “call me now for your free reading!” into a cultural meme, has died at 53 after a battle with cancer.

10. Space_Time

Space_Time Well-Known Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ar-wars_us_57af460ae4b007c36e4efbb4?section=&

ENTERTAINMENT
    Kenny Baker, The Actor Who Played R2-D2 In ‘Star Wars’ Films, Dies At 81
    Sad beep.
    08/13/2016 01:46 pm ET | Updated 4 hours ago
    Cole Delbyck http://twitter.com/cdelbyckEntertainment Writer, The Huffington Post

Michael Tullberg/Getty Images Kenny Baker appears at the ‘Star Wars Celebration IV’ convention in Los Angeles in 2007.
    Kenny Baker, who brought R2-D2 to life in six “Star Wars” films over almost four decades has died after battling a long illness, his agent has confirmed.
    He was less than two weeks away from his 82nd birthday, according to Baker’s website.
    His body was discovered on Saturday morning by a nephew, who had been looking after him, said his agent, Johnny Mans.
    The 3-foot-8-inch actor secured his big break in the first installment of the space saga in 1977 after performing in circus and cabaret shows around England. Baker would go on to play the world’s most personable droid in the “Star Wars” sequels and prequels, as well as consulting on 2015’s “The Force Awakens.”
    Although he was unable to attend the film’s Los Angeles premiere due to his illness, he did make an appearance at its European premiere in a wheelchair, posing with Stormtroopers on the red carpet.

Dave J. Hogan/Getty Images Kenny Baker at the ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ premiere in London.
    Apart from the “Star Wars” franchise, Baker also appeared in a variety of popular films throughout the 1980s, including “Flash Gordon,” “Time Bandits” and “Labyrinth.”
    “Kenny was truly a great friend, one of the nicest guys you could ever wish to meet and a fabulous and talented performer,” said Mans. “My wife and family will miss him terribly, and I will never forget the laughs we shared over the years. He was a one-off. There will never be another Kenny Baker.”
    Baker’s niece, Abigail Shield, told The Guardian that his death was sad, but expected, as his illness had worsened significantly in recent years.
    “He had problems with his lungs and was often in a wheelchair,” she said. “He was very poorly for a long time. He was asked to go out to LA for the new ‘Star Wars’ premiere but he was told he was too ill to travel. Luckily he did manage to meet George Lucas again when he came to Manchester.”
    Shield also notes that, because of his stature, Baker’s family didn’t expect him to survive after puberty, let alone make a name for himself in Hollywood.
    “He had a very long and fulfilled life,” she continued. “He brought lots of happiness to people and we’ll be celebrating the fact that he was well loved throughout the world. We’re all very proud of what he achieved in his lifetime.”
    Baker’s collaborators on “Star Wars” and others simply touched by his legacy rushed to pay tribute to the fallen actor on social media and beyond with heartfelt remembrances. His co-star Mark Hamill praised his determination and optimism, while director George Lucas described him as the “heart and soul of R2-D2.”
    ”Kenny Baker was a real gentleman as well as an incredible trooper who always worked hard under difficult circumstances,” Lucas wrote in a statement posted by New York Times reporter Dave Itzkoff. “A talented vaudevillian who could always made everybody laugh, Kenny was the heart and soul of R2-D2 and will be missed by all his fans and everyone who knew him.”
    This article has been updated to include reactions from Baker’s collaborators.
    Also on HuffPost

11. Space_Time

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/08/29/gene-wilder-dies-at-83/21461523/
    Gene Wilder, star of 'Willy Wonka' and Mel Brooks classics, dies at 83
    The Hollywood Reporter
    MIKE BARNES AND DUANE BYRGE
    Aug 29th 2016 3:24PM
    Gene Wilder, the leading man with the comic flair and frizzy hair known for teaming with Mel Brooks on the laugh-out-loud masterpieces The Producers, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, has died, his family told The Associated Press. He was 83.

The two-time Oscar nominee also starred as a quirky candy man in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) and in four films alongside stand-up legend Richard Pryor.

In 1999, Wilder was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma and treated with radiation and stem cell transplants.

Wilder will forever be remembered for his ill-fated Hollywood romance with Gilda Radner. Less than two years after they were married, the popular Saturday Night Live star was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and died on May 20, 1989, at age 42.

In 1963, the Milwaukee native appeared on Broadway opposite Anne Bancroft in Jerome Robbins' Mother Courage and Her Children. The actress introduced Wilder to Brooks, her future husband, and the couple invited him to Fire Island, where he got a look at the first 30 pages of a screenplay titled Springtime for Hitler.

"Three years went by, never heard from [Brooks]," Wilder told Larry King in a 2002 interview. "I didn't get a telegram. I didn't get a telephone call. And I'm doing a play called Love on Broadway, matinee, taking off my makeup.

"Knock-knock on the door, I open the door. There's Mel. He said, 'You don't think I forgot, do you? We're going to do Springtime for Hitler. But I can't just cast you. You've got to meet [star] Zero [Mostel] first, tomorrow at 10 o'clock.'

"[The next day] the door opens. There's Mel. He says come on in. 'Z, this is Gene. Gene, this is Z. And I put out my hand tentatively. And Zero grabbed my hand, pulls me to him and kisses me on the lips. All my nervousness went away. And then we did the reading and I got the part. And everything was fine."

Springtime for Hitler, of course, would become The Producers (1968), written and directed by Brooks. For his portrayal of stressed-out accountant Leopold Bloom in his first major movie role, Wilder earned an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor.

Brooks cast Gig Young for the part of the washed-up gunfighter The Waco Kid in Blazing Saddles(1974), but the actor, who was an alcoholic, got sick playing his first scene and had to be taken away by ambulance.

"I called Gene and said, "What do I do?" Brooks recalled in a 2014 interview with Parademagazine. "Gene said, "Just get a horse for me to try out and a costume that fits and I'll do it." And he flew out and he did it. Saved my life."

While working on Blazing Saddles, Wilder fiddled with an outline he had written for Young Frankenstein and asked Brooks to do it with him. Wilder played Dr. Frederick Frankenstein, who creates a monster just like his grandfather, and he and Brooks shared a screenplay Oscar nom for the 1974 classic, released in theaters just 10 months after Blazing Saddles.

(It was Wilder's idea to have Frankenstein and his monster (Peter Boyle) do the song-and-dance number, "Puttin' on the Ritz.")

For the 1971 musical fantasy based on Roald Dahl's 1964 book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Fred Astaire and Joel Grey were recommended for the role of Willy Wonka. But director Mel Stuart wanted Wilder.

"He had been in The Producers, but he wasn't a superstar," Stuart told The Washington Post in 2005. "I looked at him and I knew in my heart there could only be one person who could play Willy Wonka. He walked to the elevator after he read and I ran after him and I said, 'As far as I'm concerned, you've got it.' "

Wilder and Pryor — who was a writer on Blazing Saddles — first teamed up on the train comedySilver Streak (1976), followed by Stir Crazy (1980), See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989) and Another You (1991), with Wilder writing and directing the latter pair.

Wilder was born in Milwaukee as Jerry Silberman on June 11, 1933. His father was a Russian immigrant who imported and sold miniature beer and whiskey bottles. His mother had a heart attack when he was 6, leaving her an invalid.

The young boy got his start in comedy by trying to perk up his bedridden mother's spirits (she died when he was 23).

In high school, Wilder played Willy Loman in his own adaptation of Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman, graduated from the University of Iowa with a B.A. in theater and studied at the Old Vic School in Bristol, England.

While overseas, he became the first American to win the all-school fencing championship, a skill he put to use when he starred as a swashbuckler in Start the Revolution Without Me (1970), directed by Bud Yorkin.

Returning to the U.S., Wilder was drafted into the U.S. Army. While stationed outside of Philadelphia at Valley Forge Medial Hospital — he worked as an aide in a psychiatric ward and helped administer electroshock therapy to patients — he commuted to New York twice a week to study acting with Herbert Berghof.

Following his discharge, he changed his name — Wilder is from Thornton Wilder, Gene is from the main character in the Thomas Wolfe novel Look Homeward, Angel —and studied with Lee Strasberg at the Actors Studio.

In 1961, Wilder landed a part in the off-Broadway play Roots, then played a comic valet on Broadway in Graham Greene's The Complaisant Lover, for which he earned a Clarence Derwent Award.

He also thrived on the stage in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as the repressed Billy Bibbit (played by Brad Dourif in the 1975 film adaptation) and as John Quincy Adams, Rutherford B. Hayes and other characters opposite Helen Hayes in The White House.

Wilder made his motion picture debut in Arthur Penn's Bonnie and Clyde (1967), playing undertaker Eugene Grizzard from Milwaukee who, along with his nervous new bride Velma (Evans Evans, then the wife of director John Frankenheimer), is kidnapped by the outlaws.

Wilder accessed his zanier side as an Irish manure peddler in Quackser Fortune Has a Cousin in the Bronx (1970) and as a doctor with a yen for sheep in Woody Allen's Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex (1972).

Flush with the success of Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, Wilder made his directorial debut in The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother (1975), which he also wrote and starred in. He went on to write, direct and star in The World's Greatest Lover (1977), for which he also composed a song performed by Harry Nilsson, and played a bumbling Polish rabbi in the Old West in The Frisco Kid (1979).

On television, Wilder starred as an older father of 4-year-old twins in his short-lived 1994-95 NBC sitcom Something Wilder; portrayed Cash Carter, a community-theater director who solves murders, in a pair of 1999 telefilms for A&E; and won a guest-actor Emmy in 2003 for playing Eric McCormack's boss on NBC's Will & Grace.

Twice divorced, Wilder met Radner while they were starring in the comedy Hanky Panky, directed by Sidney Poitier (1982). She was married to Saturday Night Live bandleader G.E. Smith at the time.

Radner divorced Smith, and she and Wilder were wed on Sept. 14, 1984, in the south of France. They appeared together in The Woman in Red (1984) and Haunted Honeymoon (1986) before she was found to have stage 4 ovarian cancer in October 1986.

Wilder titled his 2005 memoir, Kiss Me Like a Stranger, something Radner had once said to him. "I had no idea why she said it," he once offered.

In September 1991, Wilder married his fourth wife, Karen Webb. She was from the New York League for the Hard of Hearing and had coached him in the art of lip reading in preparation for his role as a deaf man in See No Evil, Hear No Evil.

12. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

She'll always be sweet young Liesl in Uncle Ferd's eyes...
    :wink:
    Sound of Music 'Liesl' actress Charmian Carr dies
    Sun, 18 Sep 2016 - American actress Charmian Carr, who played the eldest von Trapp daughter Liesl in the 1965 film The Sound of Music, dies aged 73.

13. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

The 'Man from Uncle' dies...
    :omg:
    Robert Vaughn, suave 'Man from U.NCL.E.' star, dies at 83
    November 11, 2016 — Robert Vaughn, the debonair, Oscar-nominated actor whose many film roles were eclipsed by his hugely popular turn in television's "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.," has died. He was 83.

14. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

He also starred in the Magnificent Seven. R.I.P. Robert Vaughn. [​IMG]

15. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Remembering Napoleon Solo...
    :cool:
    Robert Vaughn remembered
    Fri, 11 Nov 2016 - Debonair actor who was the last survivor of the Magnificent Seven.

16. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

Excellent actor and great human being who did much for charitable causes. Political right wingers did not like his patriotic anti-war stance but cannot deny that he always had the USA's best interests in mind.

17. Space_Time

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/florence-henderson-brady-bunch-matriarch-060621260.html

‘Brady Bunch’ Mom Florence Henderson Dies at 82
    nstonepeople 2 hours 8 minutes ago Comments Sign in to like Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email
    Florence Henderson, widely known for her role as The Brady Bunch matriarch Carol Brady, has died. She was 82.

Henderson died Thursday surrounded by friends and family, the actress’ manager Kayla Pressman said in a statement to the Associated Press.

Born in Dale, Indiana, to farmer Joseph Henderson and his wife Elizabeth, Henderson was the youngest of 10 children.

After graduating from Indiana’s St. Frances School in 1951, Henderson went on to study at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City. In January 1956, she married Ira Bernstein, whom she shared four children with —Barbara, Joseph, Bob and Elizabeth — but later divorced in 1985.

Prior to scoring her leading role on the 1969 sitcom The Brady Bunch, which propelled her to international stardom, Henderson starred on the Broadway stage — Wish You Were Here (1952), Fanny (1954) and The Girl Who Came to Supper (1963) — and appeared in guest roles on multiples TV series and films, including being the first woman to host The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson in 1962.

Henderson starred in every episode of all five seasons of the family comedy series, and later appeared as Carol Brady in spinoffs The Brady Bunch Variety Hour, The Brady Girls Get Married, The Brady Brides, The Bradys and The Brady Bunch Movie.

In 1987, Henderson wed Dr. John George Kappas, whom she remained married to up until his death in September 2002.

Other notable roles include The Love Boat, Murder, She Wrote, season 11 of Dancing with the Stars, and her hosting duties on Retirement Living TV’s The Florence Henderson Show from 2008 until her death. She earned her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1996.

The actress is survived by her four children.

18. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Have dey told Marsha yet?...
    :confusion:
    Florence Henderson, ‘The Brady Bunch’ Mom, Dies
    November 25, 2016 — Florence Henderson, the wholesome actress who went from Broadway star to television icon when she became Carol Brady, the ever-cheerful matriarch of "The Brady Bunch," has died, her manager and her publicist said. She was 82.

19. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Have they told Greg yet? He is the one she was sacking on set.

20. Space_Time

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/mary-tyler-moore-grant-tinker-dead-90-1201930180/

Mary Tyler Moore on Grant Tinker: A ‘Brilliant, Driven Executive’

Managing Editor: Television
    Cynthia Littleton
    Managing Editor: Television
    @Variety_Cynthia

Mary Tyler Moore Grant TinkerASSOCIATED PRESS
    NOVEMBER 30, 2016 | 09:10AM PT
    Actress Mary Tyler Moore has paid tribute to her former husband, Grant Tinker, who founded the MTM Enterprises production company behind Moore’s groundbreaking CBS comedy “The Mary Tyler Moore Show.”

Tinker died Monday at the age of 90. He and Moore were married in 1962 and divorced in 1981.

“I am deeply saddened to learn that my former husband and professional mentor Grant Tinker has passed away,” Moore said in a statement.

CLOSE POWERED BY GIANTMEDIA

“I’m forever grateful for and proud of what we achieved together with the creation of ‘The Mary Tyler Moore Show’ and founding of MTM Enterprises (an independent production studio that created what remain some of the best TV shows ever made),” Moore continued. “Grant was a brilliant, driven executive who uniquely understood that the secret to great TV content was freedom for its creators and performing artists. This was manifest in his ‘first be best and then be first’ approach. He lived life to the fullest in his nearly 91 years and he left an indelible mark on the television industry and its audiences. My thoughts are with his four children, John, Mark, Michael and Jodie.”

RELATED
    Grant Tinker -- Pictured (l-r) Grant Tinker April 1, 1983 -- (Photo by: Herb Ball/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank)
    Grant Tinker: Friends and Fans Salute ‘Towering Figure’ in TV History

“The Mary Tyler Moore Show” ran from 1970 to 1977. It coincided with the rise of the feminist movement in offering a look at a single, career-oriented woman whose life was not defined by marriage or motherhood. Behind the scenes, MTM also reflected a level of equality with Moore serving as chairman and Tinker as president. The company’s on-screen logo was famously a take-off on MGM, with a meowing cat in place of a roaring lion.

MTM in its heyday was also home to such notable series as “Hill Street Blues,” “The Bob Newhart Show,” “St. Elsewhere,” “The White Shadow” and “WKRP in Cincinnati.” Tinker sold his stake to Moore when he took the helm of NBC in 1981. The move cost him millions in future syndication profits. but he did it to avoid the suggestion of conflicts of interest in his role as NBC chairman-CEO.

FILED UNDER: Grant TinkerMary Tyler Moore

21. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Alan Thicke, ‘Growing Pains’ Dad dies...
    Alan Thicke, ‘Growing Pains’ Dad, Dies at 69
    13 Dec.`16 - Alan Thicke, the “Growing Pains” star who played one of the quintessential television fathers of the 1980s, died Tuesday. He was 69. Thicke’s manager confirmed the actor’s death.

22. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

23. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

2016 has really taken its toll on celebrities.

24. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Green Acres gonna be a lil' lonelier w/o her...
    Actress Zsa Zsa Gabor dies at age 99
    Sun Dec 18, 2016 | Actress Zsa Zsa Gabor, who parlayed beauty, diamond-studded glamor and nine marriages into a long celebrity career, died on Sunday. She was 99.

25. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

That was her sister Eva Gabor.

I heard recently that Zsa Zsa was in really bad shape. I believe they said she had both legs amputated some time ago.

Remember when she went to jail for slapping a cop? :) What a fiasco that was!