Do dogs have a Spirit

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by jduband stuff, Jan 5, 2016.

1. jduband stuff

jduband stuff New Member

I know they dream and have a disconnect between their brain and body that prevents them from actually running in their dreams.
    This has to show they have a conscience and unconscious so do they also have a spirit or soul?

2. haribol

haribol New Member

Do you have a spirit or soul?

3. jduband stuff

jduband stuff New Member

I don't know. I have a sleep disorder called sleep paralysis that allows me to have something that seems similar to what some describe as an out of body experience. I'm sure there's many things we will never know until our time comes .
    I've never been a religious person but have always just known that the world as we know it didn't just happen at random.
    My dog is nearing the point where it's selfish of me to not give him an end to his pain. I have been giving him more and more of the pain meds I have been prescribed because it is easier to have pain than to see him in pain, but sooner or later I'm going to have to let him go. I guess it would just be easier to do knowing his spirit will live on.

4. Channe

Channe Well-Known Member Past Donor

My dog Skyla is one of the most loyal, sweetest, and kindest beings I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. If we have a spirit, I don't see how she couldn't. And if there's a heaven and she's not allowed in, I won't go either.

5. Neutralitatis

Neutralitatis New Member

There is a problem with this question in that no one truly knows whether or not we have souls, so it comes down to your religious beliefs. What you said about dreams is correct, generally, neurologists agree that most organism with complex brains are conscious and self-aware. It really comes down to, if you believe that you have a soul, then do as well.

6. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member Past Donor

Yes animals go to heaven and the bible is quite clear about it.

Ecclesiastes 3:19: "After all, the same fate awaits human beings and animals alike. One dies just like the other. They are the same kind of creature. A human being is no better off than an animal, because life has no meaning for either."

7. tecoyah

tecoyah Well-Known Member Past Donor

As there seems to be nothing concrete to show a soul exists in the first place...obviously not. There is a conscious sentience however that is obvious.

8. Spooky

Just as there is nothing concrete to show that a soul does not exist. In fact, many near death experiences point conclusively to something happening to us once we die. I would say the evidence for a soul is stronger than not having one.

9. tecoyah

Likely you mean a "Soul" in the religious sense as did I in my comment. That there nay be a continuation of consciousness after the body dies is a possibility as is our being beamed onto the great galactic conveyer of cosmic recycling. My own mother died for a while and remembers some pretty cool stuff so I am totally open to something else after I die...that does not make it a concrete reality.

10. Neutralitatis

Neutralitatis New Member

Exactly, we have little concrete evidence proving or disproving the existence of souls. Religion is called "belief" or "faith" because we will likely never have any way of knowing much about religion. If you know of Schrodinger's cat, this is a very similar concept; until we have a way of proving or disproving religion, both sides of the argument can be considered correct.

11. jduband stuff

jduband stuff New Member

Do you think there may be people who have what most refer to as "souls", and others who do not?

12. Spooky

I would agree. Although I am a Christian and believe in what awaits me I can no more prove it than someone who does not believe. If we had conclusive proof of a soul then what would be the point of freewill? However, when listening to people who have traveled beyond death and come back, and what they tell us, that is more than enough proof for me. Just the idea that something exists after death is a scientific impossibility so it has to be assumed that there is also some sort of divinity involved there.

13. tecoyah

As stated...there would need to be a "Soul" for someone to have one.

14. jduband stuff

jduband stuff New Member

Oh, I must have misunderstood you, I thought you were open to the possibility.

15. tecoyah

In the religious context that the word implies...No I am not. As far as a continuation of that which we are...sure, who knows.

16. jduband stuff

jduband stuff New Member

I'm not religious either but people who are don't scare me like water does a skunk with rabies or a cross a vampire. Call it a soul, essence, spirit or whatever, we all know what I meant. This new Secularism that's sweeping the country sure has all the attributes of a religion.

17. tecoyah

Okay...at least it does not have a God or try to use an old book as the basis for society.

18. jduband stuff

jduband stuff New Member

Neither does Buddhism but I suppose it's not a superstition to be feared and stuff. Hinduism no prob? Islam, pretty much a benevolent belief?
    Curious why the Secular Humanist have such animosity toward Christianity.
    Maybe because they view them as the most competition?

19. DarkDaimon

DarkDaimon Well-Known Member

Assuming that spirits/souls exist, Judeo-Christian (and Islamic) teachings say that only humans have souls since we have the capacity to distinguish good from evil. The Buddhists and Hindus on the other hand believe that all living beings have souls.

20. tecoyah

Actually it has to do with Christianity being the dominant version in the United States and thus trying to inject itself into societal law. I does not help that the people who generally spew religion in this forum are all Christian.

21. PreteenCommunist

PreteenCommunist Active Member

Consciousness and unconsciousness are both defined by physical occurrences (or non-occurrences) in the brain. They are unrelated to anything "immaterial" (souls, spirits etc.).

22. jduband stuff

jduband stuff New Member

I just looked at your profile, and thanks for your taking time to respond to my question, you're the same age as my dog, which is very young in human years but very old in dog years.
    It's going to be difficult for me without my dog, I live alone and we are pretty much all each other have. I suppose I could go to the shelter and adopt a dog but getting fond of another being and then losing them is maybe harder than never having them to begin with, I think. Plus I'm pretty old and could go 1st.
    Anyway, thank you.

23. PreteenCommunist

PreteenCommunist Active Member

Oh, no problem, it was an interesting question. I can't really relate because I've never had a pet, but...I guess adopting another dog would help to take your mind off the other one if you lost them? There's always the possibility that your dog will live longer than you think; my neighbour's one lived until 19. (Though I wasn't too sad when it died, because I was terrified of it).

24. Alucard

Alucard New Member Past Donor

I think doggies do have a soul. I have seen videos whereby an owner was missing for a long time and when he or she returns home, the doggie becomes overwhelmed with joy.

25. jduband stuff

jduband stuff New Member

I don't know, I know some people are just very special and have a certain personality that shines brighter than average.
    I think I see the same thing in dogs, some are just special, not just intelligent but something else.
    Of course my dog is special to me because I love him.