RIP Glenn Frey

Discussion in 'Music, TV, Movies & other Media' started by maat, Jan 18, 2016.

1. maat

maat Well-Known Member Past Donor

2. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

They were a good band in their day, but I don't think Eagles music has really reached beyond that generation much. Best to his family. This is going to be a recurrent theme for the next five years ago--a lot of old school musicians have reached that age, and some beyond.

3. maat

Their greatest hits from 71-75 was the greatest selling album of the 20th century. You are selling them short.

4. Deckel

I think you have forgotten about Thriller....by like a mile or two.

5. Object227

Object227 Well-Known Member

Great talent. Great voice. All music lovers will miss him.

[video=youtube;qmV9vk2950o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmV9vk2950o[/video]

6. maat

I was fortunate to get to see the Eagles open the BOK center in Tulsa. They played at least 33 hits.

7. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

He did the Sound Track to Beverly Hills Cop with Eddie Murphy, also sang Part of me Part of you for Thelma and Louise. Then did the Smuggler's Blues for Miami Vice which he starred in that TV show.

[video=youtube;gjzXlRzM6PQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjzXlRzM6PQ[/video]
    [video=youtube;xhZ8zoLg0Hw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZ8zoLg0Hw[/video]

R.I.P. Glenn Frey. [​IMG]

8. MrNick

MrNick Banned

C'mon Hotel California is one of my favorite songs and albums of all time, and I'm 35... As a matter if fact it was the first CD I ever got (had plenty of tapes)..

Don't undersell classic rock...

9. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

Hotel California is one of my most hated songs of all time. I don't understand how anybody can like that song. Do you also like Steve Miller Band - the Joker and Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl? I hate those too.

10. Deckel

I am surprised they were still selling tapes by the time you reached your teens. Regardless, you sort of prove my point. If you had just bought that CD last week, it would show that they reached well beyond their generation. That you bought it decades ago, doesn't. I am sure one day people will be listening to Taylor Swift in the nursing home too. People tend to settle into the music of a certain period of their lives and stay there. That is just general human nature.

11. Object227

Object227 Well-Known Member

One of their most recent CDs (Long Road Out of Eden, 2007) was excellent. A surprising effort for the aging band.

12. MrNick

MrNick Banned

Of course they were selling tapes... My first tape (I believe it was 1988 ) was Led Zeppelin IV, and they sold tapes up until a few years ago... I think I got Hotel California in about 1989.... Remember CD's were expensive then - like 25 bucks...

13. MrNick

MrNick Banned

No I hate those other songs - ESPECIALLY Brown Eyed Girl.... Ironically I cant stand Desperado lol, but Hotel California is one of my all time favorite songs...

14. Deckel

I really cannot recall when I have even seen a cassette tape last outside the answering machine kind and I definitely do not recall seeing them in stores.

15. MrNick

MrNick Banned

You can still find them at mom and pop record stores...

Hell, people didn't start using demo cd's until CD burners came out and that was late 90's...

Perhaps you're thinking of 8-track tapes or something?

Also, as someone who listens to a lot of "underground" music, a lot of it is actually "tape only".... Well a lot has been digitized now, but if you're a collector the only way to have the original is on tape...

16. Deckel

Nope. Our house was filled with CD's from as long as I can recall :rock_slayer: Might just be where we lived. We didn't have but a couple record stores when I was little and one we did not go in because it was also a head shop. Shhhh!

17. MrNick

MrNick Banned

Same here... You have remember I was a kid, tapes were 10 bucks and CD's were 20 lol.... Indeed I ended up having quite the CD collection..

Hotel California was a gift from my parents.... They had plenty of CD's, and an we not forget back in the 90's just about every magazine had the "pick any 12 cds for just 1 cent" nonsense lol...

But my dad being a producer on the side used to get demo tapes all the time from local artists looking for studio time...

Of course then I had a CD business on ebay so at any given time I would have 5,000-7,000 cds on hand at any given time (yes they took up a lot of room and I got stuck with a lot of junk I just threw away)...

Thank God for youtube, Ipods and Iphones/smart phones lol...

No more CD's or tapes...

18. maat

Try coming from the 8 tract tape. You would've loved the cassette.

19. Deckel

I am fond of digital myself, though if vinyl really does come back, I might give those a spin.

20. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Well-Known Member Past Donor

I got to see Glenn Frey and The Eagles live in concert in 2014. It was a fantastic performance by all. Sorry to see him pass away. Thanks for all the great music, Glenn.

21. gophangover

gophangover Well-Known Member

Glen was full of himself...he thought he deserved a bigger cut than the other members...without them he was nothing. Don Henley and Joe Walsh were the heart and soul of that band. It was Linda Ronstadt that gave them their start....I was never a fan of hers. I did love "on the border" back in the day. Wore that cassette out in my car. Still have it on vinyl.
    Collected four hundred albums before they started going to 8track and cassette....collected a couple hundred cassettes for my car before they started CD's...collected five hundred of them before they decided to go back to vinyl...but those won't play in my car...and I refuse to go to MP3 and cell phone and ONSTAR. Everything is such a scam these days.

22. MrNick

MrNick Banned

Oh, you're one of "those guys" that refuse to go to MP3?

You do realize you can turn your cd's into MP3's (or just download the albums for free) and put them on your phone? lol..

I'd be glad to explain to you how it's done.