Turkish battle rifle MPT-76 7.62x51mm nato

Discussion in 'Warfare / Military' started by Jim Rockford, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Jim Rockford

Jim Rockford Banned

A full sized cartridge makes sense. After using the HK G3 for 40 years they don't want or need to resort to smaller rounds.
    This is some field and torture testing. This is 100% Turkish made. Piston operated not a DI like an AR-10.

https://youtu.be/AfGEZ3-rZfE

2. Jim Rockford

Jim Rockford Banned

3. US Conservative

US Conservative Well-Known Member Past Donor

MAC is pretty good. I picked up some of that Turkish ammo a few months back, shoots well and is affordable, though I have conflicting feelings about supporting a Turkish product.

The Turks have used full power cartridges for well over 100 years, and largely stuck to it.

4. Mineva

Mineva Member

Turkish soldiers complain about the recoil of this rifle. They want it to be softened a bit more.

5. Jim Rockford

Jim Rockford Banned

The long range and terrain dictates the caliber. Turkey is right in the 7.62x51 standard. 5.56 with less than 77gn is not enough for the ranges in my AO. I understand where they are coming from.

ZQI is decent, but BrassMax , PPU and Fiochhi will make up the loss.

6. Jim Rockford

Jim Rockford Banned

Something else to think about IF you use ZQI 5.56.

[video=youtube;orIzAVnFEQg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orIzAVnFEQg[/video]

7. US Conservative

From what I can tell much of Turkey is similar to southern california, lots of coastal scrub, hills, and a mountain ranges. Even the old Turkish mausers and turkish ammo seemed centered around longer range shooting.

I like choice, so if ZQI is breaking the barrier for reloadable, cheaper, brass cased ammo Im hoping the competition feels pressured to do the same. After .22lr, .308 prices have been insane for far too long.

8. US Conservative

I have read that ZQI uses softer brass, so I could see it stretching more at the casehead leading to deformation and a loose primer pocket, especially if both the ammo and chamber are on the loose side.

I am keeping my 7.62 to try for reloading, but am not expecting the world. At the price its selling for (as cheap as most steel cased has been), even if I only get 2-3 reloads its worthwhile for me. In my target rifle I mostly only neck size as is, so it should be fine for that. Can see it being difficult for an M1A, as its already hard on brass.