Japan unveils First Stealth Fighter Jet.....

Discussion in 'Warfare / Military' started by MMC, Jan 28, 2016.

1. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Well, what do you think of the Japanese and their new stealth fighter jet? Do you think China raised an eyebrow?

Japan on Thursday unveiled its first stealth fighter jet, officials said, with the maiden test flight planned for next month.

[​IMG]

The defense ministry's acquisition agency showed off the domestically developed, radar-dodging X-2 fighter at a regional airport near the central city of Komaki.

The X-2, developed by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, measures 14.2 metres (47 feet) long and 9.1 metres wide and was built as a successor to the F-2 fighter jets developed jointly with the United States.

Japan has reportedly spent about 39.4 billion yen ($332 million) to develop the aircraft.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/japan-unveils-first-stealth-fighter-jet-004353609.html#

2. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Here is what aviationanalysis, had to say.

[​IMG]

Maiden flight of the prototype, which is 14.2 m long and 9.1 m wide is scheduled for mid February 2016.

Radar evading features include radar absorbing coating in fuselage, canted tail fins, special cockpit canopy material that reduce radar signature.

Powered by two XF5-1 turbofan engines, the X-2 is equipped with thrust vectoring nozzles that considerably improve maneuverability of the aircraft.

[​IMG]

The 3D thrust vectoring capable system uses 3 paddles on each engine to deflect the engine thrust. Thrust vectoring using paddles were first used by Germans on the notorious V-2 rockets during World War II......snip~

http://www.aviationanalysis.net/2016/01/japan-unveils-indigenous-x-2-stealth.html

3. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

Well they now will have a fighter to deploy on their little aircraft carrier they recently commissioned.

It answer the question that was asked, why didn't Japan order any F-35 B's to deploy on their carrier ? They decided to build their own stealth type F-35 that would be carrier capable.

The X2 does look a lot like a F-35.

4. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

If Japan can get a couple dozen built soon. They could give China something to think about.

You think it looks like the F-35 but smaller, huh?

5. APACHERAT

Actually the Japanese X2 looks more war like than the F-35. The F-35 reminds me of the Brewster F2A Buffalo. :roflol: < http://www.aviastar.org/air/usa/brewster_buffalo.php > The U.S. Navy has their LCS (Little Crappy Ship) and the Air Force, Navy and Marines might have their Little Crappy Stealth fighter.

6. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Whats the Chinese craft, J-21 or something like that. Do you think the X2 would be able to defeat that?

7. DarkDaimon

DarkDaimon Well-Known Member

Ah yes, but Japan didn't tell us the TRUE stealth feature...

[​IMG]

8. APACHERAT

Well we are looking at ten years before these aircraft start replacing the current F-2 fighters.

Not much info is given, will these aircraft be air superiority fighters or fighter attack aircraft ?

Then again. it always comes down to who's sitting in the cockpit.

The article says it's a demonstrator that will lead to development of a next generation Japanese stealth fighter.

I like the size. Today's military aircraft are so freaking large. There's an airport in Upland, California that has an old McDonnell Douglas A-4 Skyhawk ( http://www.aviastar.org/air/usa/mcdonnel_sky.php < sitting on display at the entrance to the airport. Everytime I drive by I notice how small that aircraft was and it was the best jet powered close air support aircraft that flew during the Vietnam War. The Douglas avgas guzzling radial piston engine A-1 Skyraider < http://www.aviastar.org/air/usa/douglas_skyraider.php > was the best CAS aircraft ever to fly, even better than today's A-10.

9. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

I do have a thread up on Robotics, and I think I mentioned the Japanese in there.

10. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Yeah, so that will take some time to come up with numbers.

Hey did you see this?

http://www.politicalforum.com/current-events/442149-obama-taps-new-general-lead-afghan-war.html

11. APACHERAT

12. PARTIZAN1

PARTIZAN1 Well-Known Member

You are buffalo-ing us right !!

13. APACHERAT

I hope I'm just buffalowing. At this time I don't see the F-35 being able to accomplishing the mission that it's suppose to be able to do.

The Navy is going to keep their F-18 E/F Super Hornets because the F-35C can't fulfill the missions that FA-18 E/F's are able to. Infact the Navy has just ordered more FA-18 Super Hornets.

But the Marine Corps put all of their hopes and Congressional appropriations $$$ on the F-35B and that's why they never acquired any FA-18 E/F's and are still flying FA-18 C/D's today.

The F-35 A, B and C's lack the range and payload to conduct deep strike attack missions. The FA-18B lacks the payload and loiter time over the battlefield to provide CAS for the Marines.

But like all new aircraft platforms in the past, they all have problems in the beginning, we'll see. They were never able to fix the F-2 A Buffalo's shortcomings.

14. KGB agent

KGB agent Well-Known Member

Hate to say it, but it looks like junk, akin to that Iranian mock-up.
    Wonder how it performs.

It's engine maximum power output: 49kN/5,000 kg (11,023 pounds), which is slightely less than half of F-22's F119 engine thrust without afterburner.

15. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

It is small.....we will find out after they put it thru trials in Feb.

Although, I don't think you can compare the Iranians junk with those who actually know what they are doing when creating war machines.

16. KGB agent

KGB agent Well-Known Member

If it is small, it will have either poor range or poor loadout. Might be enough if they intend to use it strictly in A2A role.
    You are correct that judgements would be legitimate only after it's specefications release.
    Should I remind you that their current "domestic" fighter jet is nothing but an F-16 licensed copy? They actually don't have much expirence in building modern combat aircraft. I do not support "Japanese=hightech and superior" kind of logic.
    On the other hand, Iranians actually managed to reverse engeneer F-5 and are producing it by their own means.

17. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't think the Japanese tech is anything close to being Superior in any shape form or fashion. Unless it is in the field of Robotics.

18. Korozif

Korozif Banned

Japan (Mitsubishi F-1), like Canada (Avro Arrow) had a growing military aircraft industry in the 60's, but they were pressured by the US to buy american made planes instead.

19. Korozif

Korozif Banned

They don't need to be superior, just effective. Sweden Saab aren't superior but they do the job.
    This is because in the case of a conflict with China or Russia, Japan wouldn't fare any better than how it did against the USA during WW2. Japan would be out produced, out manned and out gunned by either of those nation. Japan doesn't have more ressource than it had in the 40's and is still dependent on ressources importation. A few more jets or ships won't change that.

20. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

That was what I was getting at, with the question of being able to handle China's J-21 or whatever they call it.

21. Korozif

Korozif Banned

I'm still waiting for China to build something the won't fall to pieces if you look at it wrong... Especially high tech or mechanical devices

22. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

Didn't they buzz one of recon planes last year?

23. Korozif

Korozif Banned

Eh, their cars work too, but I wouln't want to be in one in a crash.

24. MMC

MMC Well-Known Member

What they can't eject? [​IMG]

25. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

The canopy on this aircraft does not apper to have RCS reduction that the U.S. has in their F-16. Basically this means the addition of an indium-tin-oxide layer to the gold tinted canopy. This reflects radar frequencies, and it might seem on the surface like something you don't want to happen...however. An ordinary canopy, which this appears to be based on the photo, allows a radar signal to bounce around the edges inside the cockpit and bounce back strongly to the source. The reflective layer dissipates the signal by about 15%..and gold tint reduces sun glare.