Israel, Mired in Ideological Battles, Fights on Cultural Fronts

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Natty Bumpo, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Well-Known Member

Israel is an advanced democracy with an admirable social safety net that includes universal health care coverage, but it is also a paranoid theocracy in which authoritarians are going full blown "Tail Gunner Joe" and stridently braying for state censorship..

2. Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member Past Donor

Fascinating... Really...

Why does Israel attracts so much attention to its negatives, and attracts NO attention to its positives? You and I both know the answer to this rhetorical question, don't we?

3. RiaRaeb

RiaRaeb Well-Known Member Past Donor

Yes, they claim to be a democracy and most of us believed in Israel until the truth started coming out. It is always hard to find your hero has feet of clay.

4. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

My guess would be he doesn't.

5. Dutch

Here's what I have found out about my hero:

The Babysense breathing monitor by Israeli company HiSense alerts parents of respiratory cessation (apnea) in babies. The Israeli breakthrough technology has helped protect more than 600,000 babies from crib death around the world, and has been copied by numerous other manufacturers".

Your turn to post something uplifting about your hero Teh Palestinian Authority, or Hamas.

6. JakeJ

JakeJ Well-Known Member Past Donor

Likely the oldest and longest running bigotry in known world history is hatred of the Jews. In the USA, they are still the #1 victim of hate crimes. Again, they are fleeing. Fleeing Europe. Fleeing the ME.

There are endless hate-on-Jews and Israel threads started on the forum as the popularity of hating Jews is again on the rise, which then also is reflected on the forum. This thread is just another one. They get tiresome.

7. RiaRaeb

Please supply a quote where I have ever praised either, as you are well aware Dutch I have never condoned terrorism.

Are you suggesting it is only because the Jews are in Israel that they can create such incredible machines, my knowledge of history would suggest they have been just as capable living in safety in the countries of their birth. If anything it is because they are Jews that they have been so good at many things, being Israeli has nothing to do with it. Just look at the incredible intellectual Jews who lived before the apartheid state of Israel existed.
    Marx, Einstein Oppenheimer..................

8. DrewBedson

DrewBedson Active Member

They claim to be a democracy but beat their political opponents to a pulp and hold executions without trials?

Or, they set up their military attack positions in crowded populated areas so everybody can enjoy the inevitable counter responses.

9. Korozif

Korozif Banned

Funny you would name those, since they were victim of discrimination and abuse from their native country and they or their parents were forced to immigrate...

10. DrewBedson

DrewBedson Active Member

Fallen would say none of them were Jews as they were not practicing orthodox Jews but, both you and I know that it is more of a cultural and ethnic thing to be a Jew rather than religion.

11. Dutch

No argument there...

12. RiaRaeb

No I purposely named those, because all found safety without needing to go to an apartheid state like Israel!
    Do you want to address the fact it was because they were Jews they were successful and not because they lived in Israel?

13. RiaRaeb

I could not comment on some of Fallen's view without being thrown off the forum.

14. alexa

alexa Well-Known Member Past Donor

At Least none of you denied that what The New York Times wrote was the truth. They were just antisemetic for telling. Now Reuters is at it as well. Though this probably should have it's own thread.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/israel-confirms-it-plans-to-seize-west-bank-land-2016-1?r=US&IR=T

It has of course been known that this was in the pipeline for some time - required the pretence it was a military zone while the local people had their houses demolished and all the usual. Here is more details

http://www.palestinemonitor.org/details.php?id=2xb8j0a12279ylcrdch1xm

I did not hear this on my own news and I should have but they've got frightened of being called antisemetic for reporting world news.

15. DrewBedson

DrewBedson Active Member

Possibly true. But, we agree on this one thing nonetheless! :clapping:

16. Korozif

Korozif Banned

Well, first Israel isn't an Apartheid state... Thousands of Arabs muslims and Christians are presently living in Israel while enjoying equal right and opportunity, so that was a lie.
    Israel didn't exist back then... This would be like saying that since Benjamin Franklin didn't live in the United States when he invented the lightning rod (paratonnere) that no post 1776 invertors deserve to be recognised as being americans inventors...

17. RiaRaeb

I am not going off topic, start another thread. If you have something to say about my contention that Jews do not need to be in Israel to be exceptional, lets here it.

18. Korozif

Korozif Banned

This as no relevance to those that do live in Israel and are also exceptional. Do you lump all anglo-saxon descendant togheter and call them British?

19. RiaRaeb

Exactly so why does anyone who criticizes Israel get called anti-Semitic, Jew hater etc! The criticism is because they live and support Israel, nothing to do with them being Jews. Glad you agree with me.

20. Korozif

Korozif Banned

It depends on how you criticize... If you have to resort to lies in doing so then yes, you may get call an anti-semite.
    There is plenty to criticize any countries on this planet without resorting to lies, half-truth and outright hate speech.

21. RiaRaeb

Why? Surely you would call me an Israeli hater or anti Israeli, why do you invoke the Jewish connection?

When I was against South African apartheid I was never once called anti dutch!

22. DrewBedson

DrewBedson Active Member

True, if one follows simple rules then they are legitimately criticizing Israel. If the criticism passes the 3D Test of Antisemitism then it is legitimate and not considered antisemitism.

""The 3D Test of Antisemitism is a set of criteria intended to distinguish legitimate criticism of Israel from antisemitism. The three Ds stand for Delegitimization [of Israel], Demonization [of Israel], and [subjecting Israel to] Double standards; each of which indicates antisemitism""

23. For Topical Use Only

For Topical Use Only Well-Known Member

Full frontal, as Israel deserves, and certainly ignoring the permanent whine of 'Jew hater' and all the rest.

24. RiaRaeb

Rubbish are you claiming, ]Delegitimization [of South Africa], Demonization [of south africa], and [subjecting south africa to] Double standards[/B]; each of which indicates antidutch?

25. Korozif

Korozif Banned

Maybe because they weren't dutch but Afrikaneer...