Does it matter why people are gay?

Discussion in 'Gay & Lesbian Rights' started by greatdanechick, Jan 29, 2016.

1. greatdanechick

greatdanechick Well-Known Member

I've noticed a common theme in other LGBT threads. The conversation always seems to come around to why homosexuality exists. Is it a choice? Are we born this way? Do we develop this way?

My question is does that matter and why?

2. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

It certainly does not matter in terms of constitutional rights. Most rights are behavioral choices so if it is a choice it can also be a constitutional right. Some people separate the behavior of homosexuality from the attraction to the opposite sex and then have opinions that the latter may be a choice or not. But in terms of US law it matters not.

3. Battle3

Battle3 Well-Known Member

It absolutely matters to the gay's. If they can prove that homosexuality is genetic then they will claim homosexuality is just like skin color and will then claim the same special status and protections as blacks. Then their jihad against the rest of the world will go into overdrive, they will sue everyone for any real or perceived slight.

It also matters to some of the gays because they are madly driven to find an excuse to explain their condition. If its genetic, then its not their fault.

4. Johnny-C

Johnny-C Well-Known Member

It really doesn't matter, except in 2 ways:

1. Homosexual behavior is being 'imposed' upon someone.
    2. The distinction that someone is 'homosexual' is being used as a reason/tool to oppress or discriminate against the same.

The 'emotional' (or moral) struggles that many have with others 'being' gay, are their own to deal with. That has been the actual reality, likely since the beginning of man's existence.

Being gay is part of being 'human'; see the person, not the distinctions your biases may cause you to obsess upon. (Not always easy to do, but certainly worth the effort.)

5. Johnny-C

If they have to DEFEND themselves (or their humanity) against those attacking them, physically, socially, morally or politically... you're DAMNED RIGHT it matters. They can and should fight back.

The key in seeing it reasonably is embedded within an honest answer to the following:

WHO are those that would attack homosexuals and WHY?

So, in dealing with those who fashion themselves as 'enemies' of homosexual people (in one or many ways), it can certainly matter. Those who seek to 'dehumanize' homosexuals, surely need to be schooled about just how human they really are.

6. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter. Hence why I generally don't argue about it.

It seems to matter mostly to the people who have a problem with homosexuals. They feel it justifies their beliefs.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't waste your breath. It doesn't matter to us. We have rights regardless.

7. perotista

perotista Well-Known Member Past Donor

Far as I am concerned, no. To each his own, live and let live. That is as long as no one is harming anyone else.

8. Johnny-C

I get your point. For the most part, when it is some other person I will let it be... but in certain fora or venues, you DO have to fight back. And those people using words and/or actions to disenfranchise or harm LGBT, minorities etc..., must be opposed as effectively as possible.

Still, I understand that not every heart/mind will change.

9. Polydectes

I don't see it making a difference

10. Battle3

It matters to gays not because it factors into their defense, it matters because it empowers their attack on people who do not enthusiastically support the gay agenda. Gays have moved from being the victim, to being the aggressors.

11. Johnny-C

Politically, it can. It's all about 'lies' and distortions being (at least) challenged.

As I would agree, changing hearts/minds is one thing, fostering movements and the laws which stem from them are another. Sometimes you're dealing directly with 'power', not merely some philosophical or moral viewpoint.

- - - Updated - - -

You're very wrong. I've seen this real time, on the ground. Sometimes, you have to stand right there... and push back. Simple as that.

BTW, do you have an example of the 'aggression' you are referring to?

12. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

Gays can still be legally discriminated against in many states. I assure you they are still very often the victim

13. Johnny-C

Of course. And the last thing I want THIS (American) society to get the notion of, is that LGBT people will not fight back in every appropriate manner.

That doesn't solve each and every problem, but it does cause many to be aware that oppressing and/or discriminating against LGBT is a serious problem (complete with real consequences).

14. Battle3

I do not believe you. Gays have amassed tremendous political power, have gained special legal status, and have a core base which terrorizes innocent people in order to send the message "support us or we will destroy you, your family, business, friends, customers". Gays have played an amazing PR campaign in portraying themselves as the victim, they are not.

Think about it. What are gays examples of victimization? Not being sold a cake from one baker even though they could get a cake from 10 bakers next door. Not being given a marriage license from one office when they could get one down the hall. Grow up.

15. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

You do not need to believe me for it to be true. In many states an employer can fire you simply for being gay and that is completely legal. They can even openl state that your reason for termination is that you are gay. That has nothing to do with wedding cakes or a marriage license

16. Dissily Mordentroge

Dissily Mordentroge Well-Known Member Past Donor

It only matters to homophobes and religious nut cases because then they can blame homosexuals for being what they are or blame Satan if they themselves happen to find themselves having forbidden thoughts about that young spunk in the next pew at sunday services.
    Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 3.19.34 PM.png

17. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

I have a clinical interest in learning more about why I am what I am, but politically, I am not especially interested. If a religious person can be discriminated against and victimized because he chooses one house of worship over another, one holy book over another, or one cleric over another, I can be discriminated against and victimized because of who I choose to sleep with, date or fall in love with. It is irrelevant. Now bigots certainly seem to have a preference because it is easier to turn a victim of discrimination into someone who 'accepts the risks' inherent in a choice if there is a choice.

By that logic, a Jew accepts the risks of anti-Semitism, when he allows himself to be seen going to synagogue. See, I don't need to compare myself to a black man.

18. greatdanechick

greatdanechick Well-Known Member

Haha you are saying "they" to a gay FYI. I have zero interest in special treatment, but like to be treated like everyone else. Is that so much to ask? I also do not feel like I have to explain why I am this way, however gay people often find themselves on the defense and for some reason (thus this OP) people always bring it back to why are we gay?

I think what bothers homophobes is that gay people are beyond Pride. It's not just about being proud of who I am, I'm actually grateful now. I love my girlfriend and am very blessed.

19. Daniel Light

Daniel Light Well-Known Member

Asinine post.

Heterosexuals have sued numerous businesses for discrimination. It is not a "special" right reserved for gay people. Mr. Trump
    has sued so many times, they can't even come up with an accurate count. He didn't have to use that business or declare
    bankruptcy, but as an American citizen, it was his prerogative.

Until 5 years ago, gay people could be fired from their job for merely being gay, their military service could be disrespected for
    merely being gay. You want to "think about it," dude. Gay people have had to raise millions of dollars to fight for their jobs
    in courts. They have had to spend countless man hours preparing cases to gain the rights I, as a married heterosexual, have enjoyed without lifting a finger.

There have been over 20,000 same sex marriages, and only a handful of lawsuits. Obviously, gay people are finding businesses
    that support them rather than attempting to use those who do not. It's asinine to scream about the small number who sue when heterosexual
    couple have sued businesses countless times for trivial matters. Your post is pure BS.

20. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

This post is hilarious.
    You make stuff up. Whine and cry about nothing for you've made up stuff.
    And you tell another to grow up. Too Funny.

21. Polydectes

Defense to what?
    Your posts are schizophrenic. Defense and attack are in opposition.

Aggressors?

22. fifthofnovember

fifthofnovember Well-Known Member

Which states?

23. Polydectes

Texas. I'm not sure about any others.

24. Ethos

Ethos New Member

Lots of it comes from insecure people from both sides. I swear, the straight guys that are haters are closet bisexuals. It's the need to get comfortable with a mind set.

Born that way? It's like anything else, anyone else. Three brothers raised in the same way will find different types of women attractive (my two brothers and I). That's completely normal, no one bats an eye at it. It can go the other way also, two like women, one likes guys. If you're a "blonde, fit" kind of guy (attracted to fit blonds), you're not going to find a chubby Mexican attractive. You can't do anything about it. No straight human will bat an eye at that statement because we all have our taste in what is attractive. However, once you through in homosexuality, the insecure go squirrel poop nutty. That's jus the way it is. That's part of human nature, nature in general. To fear or be cautious of what you don't know. I've said this in another place, but humans and animals have shown gay and bisexual behavior since... well... forever.

Does it matter? It shouldn't, but there are the scared feeble minded people that have the intellect of a child. You have to deal with the stupid people also, that's life.

25. Ethos

Ethos New Member

All the ones in red.

a11111111.JPG